Desktop Computers

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I wouldnt worry about the RAM and get yourself a better monitor. And let me know if you find the 6600k anywhere for sale that isnt being price gouged due to it being sold out. Looked all morning and its at least 60-70 dollars higher now that its on backorder everywhere
I'm going to drive 100 miles to outside Atlanta after work sometime this week to buy my CPU/Mobo/PSU, still worth it despite the $50 tax/gas charge since in TN I pay tax to Newegg and Amazon. Genj we're buying the same PSU but mine has a $25 rebate from microcenter. It will ship. Better than buying it at Amazon.

Parts I'm set on:
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt 80+ Gold Modular ATX 12V Power Supply 120-G1-0750-XR - Micro Center$60 AR
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011 - Newegg.com$20 AR
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com$25AR

Buying whatever video card I find the best deal on(980, 970, 390x)
Going to transfer my SSD from my current PC unless I buy a mobo with an M.2 slot and I find one on sale.

Now the hard part:

6600k($209) or 4790k($230)? Now I need some advice. I have a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor, and a secondary 21 inch monitor. I like to watch movies/streams on the second monitor while I game, but on my current system(Q6600, 8GB RAM, R7270). Needless to say trying to fallout or witcher while even having browsers open on the other monitor is murder. The problem is I don't know what exactly bottlenecks the "I need 60 chrome windows and WMP on shuffle and a stream on at all times" in my build. Is it the GPU? The CPU? I assume it's not RAM. The 6600k is cheaper, allows me to use the new form factor, but the components cost more around it. The 4790k is a better performer, but I'm stuck on LGA150 and DDR3, which doesn't seem to matter much.

So let's say $500 for the trek to Atlanta after gas/tax. $75 for RAM. $250-350 for the video card. $50 for the case/cooler.

Roughly $900 for a 970 version or $1000 for a 980, somewhere in between if I do a 390x.

So as to my processor quandary, which one would help me 1440p game better while still being able to do other shit on my second monitor?

Also, that cooler is cheap and has awesome reviews. Same for the case. Is there any reason to buy anything else?

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Hi all,

Am currently using a Q6600 and a GTX 580 and while it's been faithful, it's time for an upgrade. I've put together the list below and am after some advice/pointers.

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor(?205.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler(?67.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard:Asus H170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard(?89.23 @ More Computers)
Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory(?75.98 @ More Computers)
Video Card:MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card(?264.97 @ Aria PC)
Total:?704.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-29 12:33 GMT+0000

I already have 2 128Gb Sandisk SSD's which I plan on RAID 0'ing and using for OS and whichever game I am currently playing, and have a Corsair TX650 psu. My top budget is about ?750

Does this seem like a decent build?
You need a z170 motherboard for an unlocked cpu like the 6600k. Especially with an overkill cooler like the nh-d15. If you aren't going to overclock just grab one of the non-k skylake cpus and a cheap cooler like the 212 evo.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
How are gigabyte motherboards? I've always had an Asus, but the current selection of the 1151 socket Asus boards are all retarded looking and have their shitty REPBLIK OF GAMURRRRZZZ shit plastered all over them.

GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

This looks nice and basic looking, has the ports I want, just don't know anything about Gigabyte boards so unsure still
That board seems to have lots of features for the price, I've had my eye on it also. But, anecdotally anyway, the one Gigabyte board I had was plagued with issues and eventually failed, while every Asus board I've had has been rock solid. Also, I'm seeing reviews on that UD5 complain about finicky memory stability and immature BIOS issues. But it is an attractive board.

As far as Asus goes, the Maximus VIII Ranger looks pretty good to me, it's absent most of the crazy gamer bling crap on the Hero et al.

asus-maximus-viii-ranger.jpg

The Ranger has been 30 bucks off in a combo deal with the 6600k and the 6700k on Newegg for as long as the Skylake chips have been out. The problem is finding the cpus in stock and not hideously overpriced.

Asus also has the z170-A/Pro/Deluxe, for a different color scheme.

Just to fanboy Asus a bit more, their fan control is an order of magnitude better than anything else out there. And their boards come with other interesting features, like KeyBot, which allows you to power on your PC from your keyboard, among other things.

Soljourn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone bored enough to pick me out some parts for ~600 dollar gaming build for my kids. I'm looking to buy tomorrow, any deals I should look into, ect?

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Just noticed that phat rebate on the Hero, if you're into mail-in rebates, that makes it a great deal. And I'm pretty sure you can just leave that IO cover off, then it will look like the Ranger.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Just noticed that phat rebate on the Hero, if you're into mail-in rebates, that makes it a great deal. And I'm pretty sure you can just leave that IO cover off, then it will look like the Ranger.
This is what I don't get about motherboards. What makes the Hero worth twice as much as the Z170XP? I can understand the difference with graphics cards, processors, etc, but what is the difference between those two mobos?

Also, I just realized I have $200 in Dell cards that expire in a month, and they have 970s for 300..... Must resist urge to buy two.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
This is what I don't get about motherboards. What makes the Hero worth twice as much as the Z170XP? I can understand the difference with graphics cards, processors, etc, but what is the difference between those two mobos?

Also, I just realized I have $200 in Dell cards that expire in a month, and they have 970s for 300..... Must resist urge to buy two.
Buy one and wait for pascal, IMO

Orcus_sl

shitlord

I run 2 970s in sli, they have been great at 5760x1080.

During the Haswell era, motherboards didn't matter much, because the voltage regulation was done on the cpu itself. They have reverted back to letting the motherboard handle it for skylake, so the motherboard VRM ostensibly matters again. More expensive motherboards usually have higher quality VRM. If you look under the heatsinks in the pics of the Hero vs the Ranger, for instance, you can see that they look different. Better memory overclocking as well. The Ranger is still a high quality setup though, with some very high overclocks in the overclock.net database.

But it's mostly about features, aesthetics, and marketing. That GB board has a brown pcb, uncovered capacitors, etc. The Hero has a cohesive color scheme, black pcb, a RGB led under the pch heatstink, and various other lights, onboard power and reset switches, a digital error readout, and that goofy io cover. Also a much better BIOS, fan control, better onboard sound if that matters to you, and other Asus features like KeyBot, a dedicated waterpump fan header, etc. The Z170xp will still overclock your chip and run two cards in sli. It will probably be just fine for your needs if you're ok with skipping the extras. Probably a thinner pcb, might run hotter. VRM quality and whatnot only affects overclocking, and even then there is probably only going to be a max difference of a couple hundred mhz between boards. Higher end VRM design also can reach overclocked speeds with lower voltage, allowing the system to run cooler and quieter.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm going to drive 100 miles to outside Atlanta after work sometime this week to buy my CPU/Mobo/PSU, still worth it despite the $50 tax/gas charge since in TN I pay tax to Newegg and Amazon. Genj we're buying the same PSU but mine has a $25 rebate from microcenter. It will ship. Better than buying it at Amazon.

Parts I'm set on:
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt 80+ Gold Modular ATX 12V Power Supply 120-G1-0750-XR - Micro Center$60 AR
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011 - Newegg.com$20 AR
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com$25AR

Buying whatever video card I find the best deal on(980, 970, 390x)
Going to transfer my SSD from my current PC unless I buy a mobo with an M.2 slot and I find one on sale.

Now the hard part:

6600k($209) or 4790k($230)? Now I need some advice. I have a 27 inch 2560x1440 monitor, and a secondary 21 inch monitor. I like to watch movies/streams on the second monitor while I game, but on my current system(Q6600, 8GB RAM, R7270). Needless to say trying to fallout or witcher while even having browsers open on the other monitor is murder. The problem is I don't know what exactly bottlenecks the "I need 60 chrome windows and WMP on shuffle and a stream on at all times" in my build. Is it the GPU? The CPU? I assume it's not RAM. The 6600k is cheaper, allows me to use the new form factor, but the components cost more around it. The 4790k is a better performer, but I'm stuck on LGA150 and DDR3, which doesn't seem to matter much.

So let's say $500 for the trek to Atlanta after gas/tax. $75 for RAM. $250-350 for the video card. $50 for the case/cooler.

Roughly $900 for a 970 version or $1000 for a 980, somewhere in between if I do a 390x.

So as to my processor quandary, which one would help me 1440p game better while still being able to do other shit on my second monitor?

Also, that cooler is cheap and has awesome reviews. Same for the case. Is there any reason to buy anything else?
Yea I took having Microcenter for granted when I lived in Atl. Tigerdirect store down the block from me in Florida is closed now. Fml.

I might hit my ex up and see if she will go to the one in Duluth, GA and get me a 6600k. Theyre cheap as shit from there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had this UPS for about two years now, its great

Amazon.com: CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD Series UPS 1000VA 600W AVR Mini-Tower: Electronics

I mainly got it because for whatever reason, the electrical at my home is fairly unreliable. It cuts out for maybe 30 seconds once or twice a week. Annoying as shit as all my satellite boxes, cable modem, router, etc all have to reboot.

But I didn't want it killing my PC with random outages, the UPS works great keeping things going. I've got my PC and both monitors plugged into it, it could power them for about ~10 minutes if it had to.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It sort of works in Firefox, but Chrome is 100% useless. Firefox fails to view carts and most account page info though, just gives you a 404 nutrend.com error. Way to go newegg.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shocking how long this has been screwed up, dead in the middle of a working day of the week.