Desktop Computers

Rali

Trakanon Raider
You need a z170 motherboard for an unlocked cpu like the 6600k. Especially with an overkill cooler like the nh-d15. If you aren't going to overclock just grab one of the non-k skylake cpus and a cheap cooler like the 212 evo.
Thank you for pointing this out! Unfortunately I had already ordered the H170. Will just return it and get a Z board instead.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Wish there was a better selection of IPS G-Sync monitors out there. The new Asus PG279Q is having some quality control issues and is almost $800. I can get a 50" Samsung UHD 4k Smart TV for that.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Went ahead and ordered my 1TB SSD. I figured $250 for a SanDisk SSD is about as good as I'll get.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Wish there was a better selection of IPS G-Sync monitors out there. The new Asus PG279Q is having some quality control issues and is almost $800. I can get a 50" Samsung UHD 4k Smart TV for that.
TVs have always been much, much cheaper than computer monitors, since they generally make bad computer monitors.

I spent as much on my 27" 1080p Samsung monitor 6-7 years ago as I did on my 50" Samsung Plasma around the same time

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Anyone seen any good deals on headphones anywhere? Between newegg being broken and Amazon showing me page after page of garbage ear buds when I specifically am looking for PC headphones/powered headphones I can't find shit.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I went big years ago. Your brain and reflexes will adjust to whatever tiny amount of input lag there might be. I use a set of low input lag LG ips 1080p tvs in a surround setup. I tried out a 27 inch monitor surround setup after using a 40 inch Samsung VA panel for a couple of years. Couldn't do it. Incidentally, I liked the VA panel more than I like these IPS panels.

Rtings.com - TV Reviews - Best TV Recommendationsis a great site for hdtv reviews. Can order reviews by input lag, etc.

I was so very close to grabbing one of those samsung curved 4ks. They do 4:4:4 chroma,[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */, and have respectable lag in PC mode, and very good input lag in Game mode.

The Samsung ju7500 measures a measly 21.1ms input lag in Game mode. You won't notice that. Small price to pay for a glorious curved 40 or 48 inch mini imax on your desk.

The cheaper ones, the ju7100, js6700, and js6500, all measure in the mid 20s input lag. Still very low. There are some finicky things about the settings. And some characteristics that you might or might not be sensitive to, like the backlight pwm, ghosting etc. And the caveat that to get the extremely low input lag, you need to be in Game mode, which only does 4:2:2 chroma and turns off many image processing features. Still pretty good, and can always switch to pc mode for internet use if it's a problem. If you grab one, I would suggest reading the thread on Hardforum about them. Lots of good info in there about settings, firmware etc.

This thread:New Samsung 4k for everyone. - [H]ard|Forum

Samsung JU7500 Review (UN40JU7500, UN48JU7500, UN50JU7500, UN55JU7500, UN65JU7500, UN78JU7500)

I think this is the last day they are on sale. The 48 inch js6700 for $800, or the 40 inch for $650, both very tempting. Or the flat versions, the 6500, for a hundo less on the 48 inch, 50 less on the 40 inch. But I'm going to run this surround setup personally a while longer. I'll get some more use out of it, wait for Pascal and further 4k iterations I guess.

Also, I've never used a G-sync monitor. But I find a nice, steady 60 fps to be pretty fuckin smooth, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Best deal I've ever seen was Friday only. Sennheiser 598s for $95 on Amazon (normally $160-ish). It was posted all over this forum in various threads. You just missed it :/

I snagged a pair and they arrived last night. Phenomenal

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Anyone seen any good deals on headphones anywhere? Between newegg being broken and Amazon showing me page after page of garbage ear buds when I specifically am looking for PC headphones/powered headphones I can't find shit.
Usually in those instances I order via price Highest -> Lowest

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Best deal I've ever seen was Friday only. Sennheiser 598s for $95 on Amazon (normally $160-ish). It was posted all over this forum in various threads. You just missed it :/

I snagged a pair and they arrived last night. Phenomenal
digging mine as well.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm in the Microsoft store getting my surface pro 3 looked at and there is a Dell 34" curved 3440x1440p display on sale. Looks fabulous. Normally $1199 but on sale for $699 today. So tempted.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Whelp. Spent a good 8 hours last night trying to figure out why my computer was f'd up and figured out it is basically scrap at this point. PPPpppprettttyyy sure one of my family members jostled it a little too hard during our move... lesson learned there.

I have a 6700k / 980 Ti / Intel 750 / etc etc new build on the way. Not super happy about it but my work is buying the remaining working components from old build for $500 so it makes the $2k cost at least a little palatable and Cyber Monday deals certainly help. I'll post pics when its up.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
There's very little you could do to a computer that would ruin all the components.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Whelp. Spent a good 8 hours last night trying to figure out why my computer was f'd up and figured out it is basically scrap at this point. PPPpppprettttyyy sure one of my family members jostled it a little too hard during our move... lesson learned there.

I have a 6700k / 980 Ti / Intel 750 / etc etc new build on the way. Not super happy about it but my work is buying the remaining working components from old build for $500 so it makes the $2k cost at least a little palatable and Cyber Monday deals certainly help. I'll post pics when its up.
I'll take your scrap ready cpu / ram / ssd. There's no way they're actually broken.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
There's very little you could do to a computer that would ruin all the components.
Yup. I didn't say all the components were borked. But ruining the mobo/gpu is pretty easy if you unscrew the GPU prior to moving, yank on the power cords connected to it and break (loosely using that term) the PCI male end and tear (also using that loosely) the mobo slot at the same time. So there's that.

Rest of the parts are already sold gogusrl.

Translation: I could probably/maybe fix the mobo with fair bit of work but I'd rather just buy a new computer, the GPU is 100% fucked and work is buying the parts I know that are in working conditions so yolo?