Desktop Computers

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Everything showed up, but in my folly I had underestimated how much anxiety having everything but the cpu sitting in front of me would cause.

Time to go to Microcenter in the morning and stare the the 6600k/6700k for an hour until they get sick of me being there and I'm forced to decide finally.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
replae with black rivets, drill out the old silver rivets, then gets these black alum ones
Amazon.com: 50 BLACK Aluminum POP Rivet (6-12) 3/16 x 3/4 MaxGrip: Home Improvement

and if you need el cheapo rivet gun.
Stanley MR100CG Contractor Grade Riveter - Rivet Gun - Amazon.com

from stanley.
Very nice, thanks. I'm not sure I'm going to expend the effort on this old beat up raven, like I probably won't bother resleeving the uncovered wiring on those fans, but I've saved for later on amazon.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Question

What does 144hz do for you when your rig can't push top of the line games anywhere near 100+ FPS? I have a decent machine (970 vid card) and I tend to play the newest games as soon as they release, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, GTA5, etc this year. I'm not getting anywhere near 100+ FPS in those games on max settings @ 1440p. They're smooth, and very playable, but FPS is generally in the 45-70FPS range. My current Korean 1440p monitor(Qnix) OCs to 96 hz. Is 144hz even going to do anything of use whatsoever for me? Im not going to regularly push 100+FPS unless I'm playing older games(which I rarely go back and do). I don't play WoW or TF2 or anything like that where I can push them to 200+ FPS easily

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So this isn't specific to PC's but figured this would be the best place to put it.

On my work laptop, some change was pushed by IT at some point, and now when I have Chrome open and I click on a link that has an .aspx extension, it opens a new window in IE. This is absolutely not happening to anyone else in the office that I have found, so I am not entirely sure how it is affecting me only.

Things I have tried and checked. Yes, Chrome is my default browser. I changed the associated file types of .asp and .aspx to Chrome. However, any link I click on that is .aspx is still opening in IE.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? Shit is driving me crazy and I need to get it fixed!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Question

What does 144hz do for you when your rig can't push top of the line games anywhere near 100+ FPS? I have a decent machine (970 vid card) and I tend to play the newest games as soon as they release, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, GTA5, etc this year. I'm not getting anywhere near 100+ FPS in those games on max settings @ 1440p. They're smooth, and very playable, but FPS is generally in the 45-70FPS range. My current Korean 1440p monitor(Qnix) OCs to 96 hz. Is 144hz even going to do anything of use whatsoever for me? Im not going to regularly push 100+FPS unless I'm playing older games(which I rarely go back and do). I don't play WoW or TF2 or anything like that where I can push them to 200+ FPS easily
Gsync will make sure that even when the FPS drops, it will still draw every frame to the monitor.

That said, if your Qnix is hitting 96hz without flicker, I don't think it's worth replacing.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Finally have everything, start assembling it, and the fuckin standoff screws for this h105 water block thing don't fit in the mounting bracket it came with. What the fuck Corsair.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't think I've ever used all of my 16 gigs of RAM and I play a bunch of unoptimized indy games with memory leaks.
Guess you never 16 boxed in EQ? Lol... EQ will eat 1gb per instance, but doing that was the only time I ever came close to using the 16gb.

Sulrn

Deuces
So my MX518 is finally on its last legs. This is my second over the span of almost 10 years. What's the current market looking like for simple, functional mice?

rrr_img_118414.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I had no idea how much of a bitch DPI scaling would be at 1440p.

Jovec

?
The only correct answer.

rrr_img_118437.png

I might have to give up on computers entirely if these ever go off the market.

Sulrn

Deuces
Isn't there a video of a LAN event where some kid gives another a concussion with one of those ... things?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Its really not that bad at all for regular desktop / web browsing stuff. One Christmas I was stuck at my Dad's and his wife had a little laptop setup with a tiny trackball / mouse pointer thing. It basically fit in your hand like the trigger of a gun and your thumb used the trackball while your pointer finger did the mouse clicks. And you could alternate left or right clicks with your middle or ring finger, can't remember. Anyways, after about a day of messing with it I was just as quick as a regular mouse. But for FPS or gaming, I couldn't get it to translate. Just too much going on.