Desktop Computers

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Cmon guys, you know that if you have a problem and post it to the internet it means it's a huge, widespread problem that threatens the very fabric of existence!

The only part I've ever have fail was a graphics card. Shrug.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Really? I've used EVGA for maybe 6-8 years now? They have always been pretty solid for me.
I used them almost exclusively from about 2006 through 2012. I had coil whine in a card around that time and gave Gigabyte a shot and was pretty happy with them. Went back to EVGA for the 780 Ti, and then when I upgraded to the 980 Ti a month or two back. And now coil whine again. Just annoying.

I'm not saying fuck EVGA never buy from them, jesus that train took off fast. I'm just saying it's annoying and fucked up I've had 2 out of my last 3 cards from them have the issue.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've used a lot of different companies for components since I built my first PC (with parental help since I was only 10) in 1995 and really haven't had any issues with any company in particular except for Maxtor. Their hard drives are (were? do they even exist anymore?) garbage.
Yea my first bought HD was a 500mb Maxtor (i think my original HD musta been 100mb), just recently opened it up and took a sledge hammer to the platters, i kept the rare earth magnet, good for the fridge.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had a power supply blow while I was taking a pee break between rounds of BF2142, and it took out the whole fucking system.

It was an Antec PSU that came with the case, running a 4600GT for a video card if I remember correctly. This was just before people started getting serious about using good PSUs.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Every computer I've replaced in the last decade is because the PSU eventually fails and takes the mobo. I don't really upgrade mobo/proc until it dies anymore.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have had a HDD and a Gfx card fail in the last 17 years. HDD was a Seagate that simply ran itself into the ground after 10 years of usage. Gfx card died after 2 years (Radeon 9800) because even with external cooling, that fucker ran -hot- and eventually shit itself playing Half Life 2. Otherwise I've never had to replace anything else, over 8 builds (I generally do the 2 year gig). I must live a charmed life~

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
Need a little advice on a first timer building one's own PC. I am trying build a decent Gaming rig for about $1,000 but have never built my own PC before so I am a little unsure about hardware compatibility etc. The monitor I have already and my buddy has a new in the box CoolerMaster HAF 932 case he said he will give me for the build. Does anyone have any advice on what would be a good rig to build at around $1000 USD? I was looking to stick with Intel for the processor but everything else is up in the air.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
to stay around $1k, you're basically going to want to go Intel i5 processor(probably not a brand new 6000-series, something more like an i5 4690k), probably something like an Nvidia 970 video card, a 256GB SSD(add another 1-2TB HD now for storage if it fits in the budget, if not then add it later), grab a nice Seasonic power supply (in the 600-750 watt range). Motherboards are just all over the place, you can get something decent and basic for around $100 from ASRock, or you can spend double or triple that for a high-end gaming motherboard that might be a little more overclockable.

I can piece something together this afternoon on PC Part picker if someone else doesn't get to it first

Duskoy_sl

shitlord
to stay around $1k, you're basically going to want to go Intel i5 processor(probably not a brand new 6000-series, something more like an i5 4690k), probably something like an Nvidia 970 video card, a 256GB SSD(add another 1-2TB HD now for storage if it fits in the budget, if not then add it later), grab a nice Seasonic power supply (in the 600-750 watt range). Motherboards are just all over the place, you can get something decent and basic for around $100 from ASRock, or you can spend double or triple that for a high-end gaming motherboard that might be a little more overclockable.

I can piece something together this afternoon on PC Part picker if someone else doesn't get to it first
Microcenter by me has the i5 6600k for $209.99.. I am not looking to go too crazy with overclocking but I would like to have that option.

Thanks man would be much appreciated

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you have a Microcenter near you, snag that CPU and get a motherboard there too and you get like $40-$50 off of the combo of the two. Best deal going, nowhere online will come close to that deal

I'd slap together something like this:

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($249.78 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler:Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler($24.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard($125.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory:G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card($299.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total:$967.24
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-29 17:16 EST-0500

That is under $1000, but you are going to get a better price on the CPU and mobo than what is listed here, so you could realistically build this for $~900, giving you money in your budget for an OS if you need one, or whatever else(maybe bump the SSD up to 500GB instead of 250GB)

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ Hard to top the build joeboo just posted.

Microcenter should have the Hyper 212 EVO in-stock for $25~ and Samsung 850 EVO 250GB for $85~ too so check those while you're at MicroCenter. Amazon should be good for the rest.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Someone explain this to me - why does everyone think they have to have a custom CPU cooler? What the fuck is wrong with the one that comes in the box? I have an i5 4690k that I've overclocked for the sake of testing, but games are fully GPU bound on virtually any modern i5/i7 going back three generations. The stock cooler does fine in those circumstances, and if I give it a little bit of an overclock (say, to 4 ghz), it has no issues. What purpose is served by spending $25-$50 on a cooler? I might be able to crank up an overclock ever so slightly? Yay? It's not an egregious with a more expensive CPU, but I see people building budget rigs with locked i3s with custom coolers, I just don't get it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The 500 GB Samsung EVO's have been dirt cheap lately ($110-130ish on sale, check Slickdeals often). It'd be worthwhile to go for one of those over a 250.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Someone explain this to me - why does everyone think they have to have a custom CPU cooler? What the fuck is wrong with the one that comes in the box? I have an i5 4690k that I've overclocked for the sake of testing, but games are fully GPU bound on virtually any modern i5/i7 going back three generations. The stock cooler does fine in those circumstances, and if I give it a little bit of an overclock (say, to 4 ghz), it has no issues. What purpose is served by spending $25-$50 on a cooler? I might be able to crank up an overclock ever so slightly? Yay? It's not an egregious with a more expensive CPU, but I see people building budget rigs with locked i3s with custom coolers, I just don't get it.
6700ks and 6500ks don't have a stock cooler in the box.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
I see the exact same thing on 4690k/4790k builds, though. Or, like I said, even i3 builds. It's like there's this belief that it's a component that has to be purchased in all instances...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Generally gaming machines run hotter than normal. The coolers are specced for normal operating conditions not running a huge GPU the temperature of the sun, overclocking and 5 hard drives. I've never had a stock cooler that was in a comfortable temperature band in the summer even if I wasn't pushing it.