Desktop Computers

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
So I'm a pleb still with a set of 60 hz monitors. I know gsync is the way to go, but would it still be worth it to get a non gsync 144hz monitor for gaming? And would it be slowed down by still having a 60 hooked up? Lastly if it's a good call to get one, anyone have a recommendation for good price to performance ratio?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
You can have mixed 144 or 60 monitors hooked up, they'll act independent of eachother. The 144 will run at 144 and the 60 will run at 60. Doesn't matter.

I have a 144 Hz G-Sync monitor and 3 x 60 Hz non-Gsync monitors. Doesn't really matter.

I am (admittedly) pretty biased and very much in favor of G-Sync. If you made the switch from 60 Hz no gsync to 144 Hz with G-Sync, your mind would prolly explode like mine did. Hence why I am sorta biased and love it. And it does make a difference, bias aside.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Yeah. just hard for me to fork out ~$500 right now. though the lower price for a 144 would be much easier for me. That's why im not sure if it would still be worth it to do so or to still just really do my best to hold out for gsync

spronk

FPS noob
i have a Dell TN 1440p 144hz gSync, a Korean IPS 120hz 1440p, and a 65" 1080p Samsung TV attached to my PC. Until a few months ago all running on a 680 no issues (now on a 970). The biggest thing about gSync is letting you turn off vSync, having fluctuating FPS rates and still looking good (no tearing). For most games this isn't really an issue, you run at a capped 60 fps so no big deal but for stuff like Overwatch or Division its nice running at more variable 50-90 fps and not having to turn on vsync (which causes input lag) and still having no screen tearing.

Its a minor thing but once you get used to it, its like SSD drives - hard to go back.

IPS panels though do look MUCH better than TN panels, I intend to replace my TN gSync monitor with an IPS once a few new models roll out. The Dell was a compromise since every IPS gSync monitor I was getting had horrific light bleed issues.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
144hz without gsync/freesync are still very, very nice provided you run at a stable enough framerate to turn off vsync still. Also far, far more affordable, in the ~200-230$ range these days.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I built this a couple years ago:Intel Core i5-4670K, Asus Radeon R9 290, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Added another 8gb RAM about a year ago. If I were to upgrade something, what would be the best bang for the buck? I'm not terribly experienced with mobo/cpu compatibility, is there a recent CPU that I could plop into this mobo for a noticeable performance increase? Regardless I'll probably be getting a second SSD so I can put some games on it, the 120 only really fits system shit.
Alright, so the feedback I got seemed to be that a GPU upgrade would be the best bang for the buck. I'll likely snag a 1070 when they hit.

In addition, I was hoping to get some advice on CPU overclocking. I've never done it before, and have little knowledge on it, so was wondering if it's a worthwhile thing to do, and if so, how to do it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
x-post from compy problems thread:

Where can one get a cheap w7 or 8 key?

My video problems didn't exist until I upgraded to 10. Can't find my original key.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Alright, so the feedback I got seemed to be that a GPU upgrade would be the best bang for the buck. I'll likely snag a 1070 when they hit.

In addition, I was hoping to get some advice on CPU overclocking. I've never done it before, and have little knowledge on it, so was wondering if it's a worthwhile thing to do, and if so, how to do it.
Easiest method is to just hit your motherboard's auto overclock if it has one. Would probably get you to 4.2-4.4ghz with no real drama. Otherwise, google a guide for your particular cpu.

Mire_sl

shitlord
Boom:

YHqqeeo.jpg

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well that's $1400 you'll never see again (unless you resell those, like, today).

I'm excited for 1070 - might be willing to dip my toes back into SLI to see if it can dominate at 4k.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
We use those at work and knowing how we treat them, no way in hell would I even take one for free.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I know they're refurbs, that's why I got 2 for raid 1. Also, they're enterprise drives and Hitachi so we'll see how it goes.

I did one of these bad boys for torrents a few days ago.
AyN4v4Y.png

spronk

FPS noob
I bought two of these dual dock sata3/usb things
Amazon.com: Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station with Offline Clone Function for 2.5 Inch Accessories

and have 4TB 5400rpm drives in them, no raid just seperate drives. gives me 16TB of external storage for all torrented movies/TV without having to fuck around inside the PC at all, works very nicely and would let me move to a small factor PC if I ever want. I just have a windows task that does a complete directory dump (dir X: /s >c:\temp\allmyfiles.txt) and that way if I ever lose a drive I can easily redownload everything on it.

For anything that is unique or hard to download, I just keep it on my OneDrive which has 100GB which is more than enough room for now, I could store it on my raid1 SSD C: drive but I keep that for games mostly

Fulorian

AMD is announcing the 480X tonight at Computex - if the rumors are correct (~980 performance, <150W TDP, $199 MSRP), this could be a huge win for AMD in the mainstream market. I would even rethink getting a 1070 and consider crossfire 480X...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
As someone who has owned Crossfire'd AMD cards and SLI'd Nvidia cards in the somewhat recent past, I'll never do it again. Not unless I somehow acquire the 2nd card for free(or close to it). It's still a pain in the ass, some games never get dual-card support(and many don't have it at launch), and forcing it through drivers/control panel is usually an unstable mess.

Fulorian

As someone who has owned Crossfire'd AMD cards and SLI'd Nvidia cards in the somewhat recent past, I'll never do it again. Not unless I somehow acquire the 2nd card for free(or close to it). It's still a pain in the ass, some games never get dual-card support(and many don't have it at launch), and forcing it through drivers/control panel is usually an unstable mess.
Yeah, I've been unenthused with it every time I did, so maybe I'll come down on that. I was really unimpressed with the benchmark they showed, too - that was just fucking weird. Show some relevant side by side comparisons to current hardware - showing crossfired 480s having a higher fps with lower utilization on one Ashes benchmark (that looked like completely different settings), and definitely different frame timing, was just bonkers and useless. Show ONE CARD PERFORMANCE against 390X and 970/980, and maybe 1080 and 1070. I know marketing won't let you show bar charts where your product isn't the biggest baddest bar, but at least show something useful. Even if it's something like framerate / $ or something.