Desktop Computers

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
They are so gorgeous! Friend has one, and I'm jealous. I'm nearing my 30 day limit to return my GTX 970 to Jet.com. I got the veto from the wife to spend another $80 on a 1070, so not sure if I'm going to return it or not. Typically, there aren't massive price drops in cards as the stock just vanishes and that's that. I'd return it in a heartbeat, if somehow the 980Ti was gonna drop to $300-$350 soon because of the 1080, but I don't see that happening?
I don't think they're going to drop the retail prices on 980Ti because supplies were already running low. The cheap Maxwells will be on eBay from people upgrading to Pascal, so probably won't start appearing in large quantities until June.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
That, I was not aware of, and I apologize. I thought it was something silly like you were in the doghouse for something banal like leaving a toilet seat up or using a toothbrush on a family pet.

In actual tech news, I ordered a 144hz monitor as well. Tired of seeing so much tearing and want to have the hype in my house.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its all good. I was tipsy.

Got a weird problem in cs go. My game runs perfectly smooth but when using the mouse it's very rough. The mouse stops when I'm aiming like it got stuck on something but it's not getting stuck. This is the only game it happens in. Made sure mouse acceleration was off too.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ok I think I'm sold on getting a 1070 or 1080 finally but I was looking at monitors and saw a nice LG curved 35" model.

I can see replacing both my 23s with it but now I'm curious about how it would work functionally with games. Right now I usually run primary in borderless fullscreen and secondary is media so website/dvd/another game whatever. How do those super widescreens deal with fullscreen games and stuff like that?
The ultra widescreens are just in super high rez, and any game you fullscreen will stretch to fill it. Only way for it to really replace the functionality of 2 monitors is to play everything windowed and hope it has mouse lock.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Note in that setup they're seeing the increases using two 980TI's in SLI - on a single GPU (next page) they saw no noticable increase

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ Right. So if you have a single card, its not worth it (for gaming at least). If you had one of the new 1080 cards, you'd see about a 30%~ FPS increase over a single 980 Ti so your FPS increase going from DDR4-3000 to 4000 would probably be a 3.5% increase vs. the 7% increase they got since going from a single 980 TI 980 TI SLI in that particular game roughly doubles your FPS.

My brain hurts now. TLDR: Maybe probably roughly a 3.5% FPS increase if you had a 1080 card and were comparing DDR4-3000 to DDR4-4000... on 1440p high settings.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So it's probably safe to say that RAM may play a more important role in performance going forward, as resolutions increase and cards increase in power. Current cards at 1080p do next to nothing, but that looks to change.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Note in that setup they're seeing the increases using two 980TI's in SLI - on a single GPU (next page) they saw no noticable increase
Yes, but a well overclocked GTX 1080 is going to be 30% more powerful than a stock 980ti, and a 1080 TI could be almost as powerful as 2x 980s in SLI if it has HBM2.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Also, they chose their game poorly for the single card comparison, since it was the one that benefited least in the first place.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Paying the premium for 4000mhz DDR4 doesn't seem worth it, but 3200 or 3600 sure does.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
...and a 1080 TI could be almost as powerful as 2x 980s in SLI if it has HBM2.
Do you mean 2 x 980 Ti's? The 1080 is already as powerful as 2 x 980s.

rrr_img_133950.jpg

Paying the premium for 4000mhz DDR4 doesn't seem worth it, but 3200 or 3600 sure does.
I dunno man. An extra $60 (for 8 GB) for a 5-10% increase in FPS in their particular scenario (ie: 2 x 980 Ti's) definitely seems worth it to me?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In case anyone was like me and bought a GTX970 (or other nvidia card) recently, I wasn't sure if the new cards would immediatley be added to the stepup program or if there would be some delay to offset people buying cards and then stepping up to 10x0's. I called customer service and they told me that on launch day the 1080 would be available for step up - but that means you'll have to pay the difference on the $699 retail.

He told me they had no information on the 1070 because everything is up in the air.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'll be getting one of the new cards not only for the speed but for what they're doing for users that do multi display gaming. Fixing that damn stretching on left/right monitors will be yuuuuuge. Hope its easy for developers to patch/implement (from my understanding its not "automatic").

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Got my g sync 144hz, I can see a small difference. Turning in my PCMR card now as I'm clearly not fit to carry it.