Desktop Computers

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This may not be in the right place.

Basically my wife is now working from home. We are sharing the same desk with my gaming rig. She is using the same keyboard and monitors. It is becoming a pain constantly unhooking shit. Am I looking at a KVM switch to avoid this hassle? Basically what we're sharing is an HDMI monitor (I use HDMI out, she uses VGA), DVI monitor and USB keyboard. I'd like something I could just flick between 1/2. Recommendations welcome.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1080ti is coming probably January.
But a 1080 can max everything at 100+ fps @ 1440p so I'm not even sure why bother? Also the TI is probably not going to be any better than the Titan X, so probably not even worth it.

Last edited:

moontayle

Golden Squire
This may not be in the right place.

Basically my wife is now working from home. We are sharing the same desk with my gaming rig. She is using the same keyboard and monitors. It is becoming a pain constantly unhooking shit. Am I looking at a KVM switch to avoid this hassle? Basically what we're sharing is an HDMI monitor (I use HDMI out, she uses VGA), DVI monitor and USB keyboard. I'd like something I could just flick between 1/2. Recommendations welcome.
Definitely a KVM. Wife and I had to do this a ways back when all we had was a single desk. I can't offer any solutions since you'll need to get one with the connections you're looking for, but that's the way to go.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
the "Ti" card has been a good buy in pretty much every gen that they've released one. The waste of money tends to be the '80 card in each gen. 780, 980, etc. Ti shows up, blows their doors off, and only costs marginally more.

Once the Ti releases, the '80 card becomes completely irrelevent. Each gen ends up being a choice between the '70 card, and '80Ti card. 770/780Ti, 970/980Ti, etc.

I can't imagine this generation will be any different. I wouldn't buy a 1080 at all at this point(but then again, I wouldn't have bought one when they first released either, they ALWAY get drastically upstaged by the Ti card ~6 months later)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I dunno, given the way pricing has gone this time around, I'm expecting the Ti to be ~15% better than the 1080 and around 800 dollars.

If it hits at that point, I'm positive 2x 1070s is just better.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also keep in mind that the 1080 is the last card you'll ever need at 1440p, and even the Titan X isn't good enough to do 4k at 60+ fps in all situations. To do that will require another whole hardware generation.

That leaves a 1080ti filling a niche where it'll be the perfect fit for those 100 fps 3440x1440 21:9 monitors and that's about it.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
But a 1080 can max everything at 100+ fps @ 1440p so I'm not even sure why bother? Also the TI is probably not going to be any better than the Titan X, so probably not even worth it.

The TI card is supposed to be Nvidia's first card with HBM2 memory if the rumors are to be believed. That alone may make it worth the purchase if the the throughput of this type of memory is what it claims.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The TI card is supposed to be Nvidia's first card with HBM2 memory if the rumors are to be believed.
This has already been shot down from what I've seen. It would make the TI faster and more expensive than the Titan X.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Some people will still go for it though. Personally I think the 1080 is more than enough card for the moment but some people always need that little bit extra. When it comes to that, price isn't a factor, it's always performance.

The Master

Bronze Squire
So I'm becoming a pretty regular streamer, unfortunately the game I'm streaming is HotS and it eats CPU. As does streaming. I currently have an i7 2.93 Ghz, this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VOXG4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Which I think is the best I can have for my motherboard. Which is old. So.. what is the beefiest i7+mb combo?

For reference I'm currently streaming at 720p 30fps and sometimes I'll get 9-10 in-game FPS. The stream is rock solid and I can stream any other game just fine, but HotS is to CPU intensive.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not sure if you have any old parts left over from a build but a lot of streamers use a dedicated stream box to handle that part without loading down the gaming CPU. I guess that's also depend on how serious you stream and want to set something like that up.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Not sure if you have any old parts left over from a build but a lot of streamers use a dedicated stream box to handle that part without loading down the gaming CPU. I guess that's also depend on how serious you stream and want to set something like that up.
I hadn't actually thought about doing that. I can see some pros to it. I'll look into it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Call me crotchety and old, but I just don't see the appeal of watching a stranger play a video game...crazy kids these days

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Call me crotchety and old, but I just don't see the appeal of watching a stranger play a video game...crazy kids these days
from what my nephews are telling me, if you've followed a guy and "like" him enough, basically his persona, it's pretty cool.