Desktop Computers

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Bought a used I7-2600. Now to find a used 1155 board. People price them like they're gold bars. Meh.

Is it worth it getting a, say, G4500 over the I7-2600? I know it's old crap, but I'm on a budget. Mrs. Izo will kill me if I get a new pc atm.

Wage

Molten Core Raider
So I don't know a lot about PC building, but mine finally bit the dust and it's time for a new machine. What would be the biggest difference between something like what Mist listed:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($168.95 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($446.98 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 750W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1525.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-08 02:31 EDT-0400

and something like what Big Phoenix listed:

Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 - System Build - PCPartPicker

Total: $1068.51

I guess the questions is how much does that extra $500 bucks buy? I would also need a monitor since mine is ancient. I assume the better build would require a better monitor too to get the most out of it? Any monitor recommendations for either build?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Well you can overclock the 6700k I7 and it's a faster CPU. Aside from that, I do not see a lot of difference.

May want to try piecing that together at www.microcenter.com as they give nice discounts when you bundle a CPU and Mobo. The case itself you listed is a lot nicer to work with from what I can tell and of higher quality.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So my HTPC (Kodi) has been having issues with buffering lately, and yesterday for some reason I got it in my head that maybe it's because the wireless network card I have in my streaming PC is kind of old (I'm not sure how old, but Device Manager shows some card that is definitely not it; Shows Qualcomm AtherosAR5008X, but I'm pretty sure it's Linksys).

But looking through Newegg and Amazon, I can't really tell what's new or not. Anyone got any recommendations for good wireless adapters? My router is dual band (Asus RT-AC66U). Speaking of, if I run my streaming PC on 5Ghz and the HTPC on 2.4Ghz, could that be causing issues with the router having to convert the channel?

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
For years I was a big fan of newegg. I've been ordering pc components to build machines and ugprade stuff from them since about 2001. I helped my roommate build a computer and he did 1 massive order from newegg the same as I always do. He waited on the order and it finally said it delivered but it never arrived. That was after 2 weeks when it was supposed to be here after 1 week. He called Newegg and they said they would try to track the package. Another week goes by and he calls newegg again. They still hadn't found the package, wouldn't reship the parts and wouldn't refund his money either. Another week goes by and he calls them up. Newegg found the package, my roommate wasn't at fault at all and newegg said it would be another week or 2 to get the shipment out to him.

I advised my roommate to ask for a refund if that's the best they would do and tell newegg to go fuck themselves, which is what he did...

Has newegg gone to shit these days? Is there some other company that is better to order electronics from in complete build orders? I'm not in the market to build again but I don't like recommending bad companies to people. In the past I had always had great experiences with newegg but I won't order from them again after witnessing what my roommate went through.

I'm kinda spoiled living in NYC with Microcenter just down the street. I've bought quite a bit from them and that store is literally like Toys R Us was as a kid to me. That said, even they don't have the best prices on complete builds if I want to design something from scratch and get the best prices.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ive ordered from them for 10+ years and never had a problem. They are better than amazon for me since they dont charge tax and if it ships from la its more or less next day.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ive ordered from them for 10+ years and never had a problem. They are better than amazon for me since they dont charge tax and if it ships from la its more or less next day.

Pretty much the same experience here. If it ships from NJ it's effectively 2 day shipping for me.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Newegg went to shit for me when they tried to imitate Amazon and sell all kinds of bullshit that had nothing to do with their core business of computers and related equipment and allowed 3rd party sellers. They always price gouged the fuck out of new release hardware.They also changed their shipping policies to APO (military), which essentially doubled shipping costs in some cases. Like others, I had used them almost exclusively for over a decade. Tens of thousands of dollars spent there building PCs for myself and others, but I haven't used them in a couple years now. Amazon has pretty much anything and everything you need, free Prime shipping (even to APO), no questions asked returns policies. I don't ever see myself going back to Newegg.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I purchased most of my new pc at Newegg. I got in at a time when there were some pretty nice deals going on (cpu mobo ram 6700k priced so mobo was free) . Otherwise there's no real benefit over Amazon to me.

Closest microcenter to me is over 60 miles away so I usually order online.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Steam controller, Dual Shock 3/4, pretty much anything USB works these days.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looking to buy a 1080 FTW card.

Anything in the nVidia pipeline to make me regret this decision? 1080 GTX Ti or etc.?

Pulled the trigger on the 1080 FTW.

Thanks for the advice!

Just a word of warning: Avoid the EVGA 1080 FTW cards. I found out after it was too late and my card arrived. It started with micro pauses, then to this dreaded black screen issue that seems to be plaguing the FTW line of EVGA cards. DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Read more here:
GTX 1080/1000 (EVGA) Info for those experiencing Crashing/Freezing/Black Screen/Restarts: Don't give up yet! • /r/nvidia

I've initiated a refund through Amazon. Guess I will wait for a Ti version next year.

Apollo64

N00b
I am looking for a good case for my main gaming PC, i am still using some shitty OEM 10+ years old one which definitely doesn't help much with cooling/space. Looking mainly for a balance between acoustics and cooling. Will have to use a DVD, but other than that, nothing exotic. Standard ATX and i don't want a window. I have my eyes on the Fractal Design Define R5, seems like a good choice? Corsair cases are readily available around where i live, i can walk out and pick one in 15mins, the R5 i'll have to order online.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Get the Fractal, it is exactly what you are after. I used one for my build a few months ago. Great cable management, quiet, looks great, front panel inputs on top so they don't get damaged, removable dust filters, all bay cages are modular and can be removed, list goes on and on.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
i bought a NZXT H440 a year or so ago for my last build. love it.

they do make a version without a side window, but i'm not sure if that's limited only to the black/black colorway...