Desktop Computers

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess better safe then sorry. Will probably just buy a new PSU, thankfully they are not that expensive.

Shopping for monitors is a big headache. So much information out there and what to get if you do this, what is better at that etc.

I mainly play MMOs with the occasional shooter(BF series, OW), RPGs and other games. Will probably just go with a TN and can't just decide between either 1080p @ 144hz or 1440p @ 60hz

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I ultimately went 1080p@144hz. Once you see 144 you can never go back

Sometimes overwatch fucks up and limits to. 60fps and it feels like I'm watching SD TV

Speaking of which the matching 60hz monitor for my 144 is only 120. Thinking of buying at least 1 but maybe 2. I feel like once I go 3 monitors I can never go back.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Link?

Probably spent out now that build done. But my monitors I think are all like a decade old. Few like linked before are like $500 and I was like nope...... but if I can get the higher refresh rate at same resolution for cheap maybe.... not sure how much good it really would do, I'm too old to be competitive at stuff like Counterstrike where I thought it mattered more.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
About to build out and buy a new pc. Is it worth waiting for black friday / cyber monday? I've never actually looked to see if there are any deals worth a damn for hardware on those days.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Link?

Probably spent out now that build done. But my monitors I think are all like a decade old. Few like linked before are like $500 and I was like nope...... but if I can get the higher refresh rate at same resolution for cheap maybe.... not sure how much good it really would do, I'm too old to be competitive at stuff like Counterstrike where I thought it mattered more.

There are some good deals for the Dell 27" Gsync, but it is TN, so YMMV if you have to have IPS. $465 is what I think I saw earlier. Haven't seen anything great on the Asus PG279Q but all the quality issues make me leary even if a couple hundred off pops up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I like acer monitors but never have been a fan of their actual pcs. I don't know how maple dollars converts but a 960m isn't the best gpu. Other specs are good. You'd want an ssd instead of a 5400rpm drive though.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Created this build this afternoon on my lunch break. Looking for any insight, fuckups, or better selections for same price point. Have monitor, keyboard, mouse, and drives from current PC.

Capture.PNG

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Is there any difference between the various vendors founders edition cards? I'm probably gonna get a 1070 soon and need the reference cooler for the mitx build I have planned.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Identic
Is there any difference between the various vendors founders edition cards? I'm probably gonna get a 1070 soon and need the reference cooler for the mitx build I have planned.

Identical. Basically reference cards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Get an i7-6700K for 290 at new egg. Huge performance jump over the i5.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-6500/3502vs3513
Louis Louis
Several pages back there was this debate, and from friends showing me. I think I agree an i56600k is the better value/dollar. The i7 if you do video editing or other very very high loads on the cpu would be only worthwhile case. Also the k series very small cost increase to be able to overclock later (with that z170 chipset mobo)

idnt say use for computer? Assuming you want to play current games and future proof I'd definately step up to a 1070. The 1080 kinda like i7 starting to getting to diminished returns on your dollar.

Also again if semi serious gaming you definitely should get 16gb esp for like BF1. 32g is still kinda overkill.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think we're seeing processor affect gaming processor a lot more this generation.

Don't get a K if you don't plan on overclocking. Literally a waste of money if you don't do it.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^

Pretty accurate advice. If you do heavy multiplayer gaming (think Battlefield 1 with 40+ players) the additional CPU firepower will help.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
But that being said, he'd be better off spending the money on a 1070 over a 1060, than using that money to upgrade his i5 to an i7. Much more bang for your buck with the money going into bumping up the video card.

1060 -> 1070 is going to be something like a 50% performance increase(or more), minimum. i5 -> i7 is going to be 10-20% depending on the game.

And 1070s are starting to become reasonable in price. I just ordered this over the weekend and received it today:

3sOzOKV.png

Damn thing was about a 80-90% performance increase over my EVGA 970... Tomb raider benchmark at 1440p/ultra settings went from 32fps on the my 970 to 59 FPS on the 1070. Crazy good performance increase.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nice, going to be going from 970 to 1070 myself.

It was honestly a bigger increase than I expected, gaming at 1440p. Not sure it would be quite as big of a jump at 1080p. I've benchmarked a few games now, Tomb Raider, Civ 6, GTA5. none of them have been less than a 70% increase in performance. Tomb Raider was a 101% increase using DirectX 12

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So this is where I think I'm leaning now that I want to do my own build. Haven't settled on a case yet, comes to about 1300 with win10 pro and no case. I also finally want to give over clocking a shot. Thoughts? I'm probably going to want to upgrade the cpu fan as well.

upload_2016-11-23_15-0-45.png

upload_2016-11-23_14-58-24.png

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So this is where I think I'm leaning now that I want to do my own build. Haven't settled on a case yet, comes to about 1300 with win10 pro and no case. I also finally want to give over clocking a shot. Thoughts? I'm probably going to want to upgrade the cpu fan as well.

View attachment 99820

View attachment 99819
maybe just person preference but id look for an m.2 drive. if you dont want to spend more $ on 950 pro you can prob get an 850 evo m.2 drive. takes up less space in your pc, no cables, etc. 960 evo is coming out any day though....