Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No, essentially any DX12 game, which im assuming most new games will be. Plus I think its cheaper to. I think I got my kids At like $180 something for a 4 gig model.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
No, essentially any DX12 game, which im assuming most new games will be. Plus I think its cheaper to. I think I got my kids At like $180 something for a 4 gig model.

Good luck with that. The RX 480 was supplanted by the 580, and the 580 is going for $250+ at the minimum right now - if you can find one in stock. The supplies are gone, worldwide, being used by ethereum miners. They're selling for almost $400 on eBay. Demand is that high... so yeah, not a gaming card right now.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
FYI: Amazon's Blowing Out a Ton of Storage and Networking Gear, Today Only

I normally cross reference these deals with those seen on SlickDeals. Also, checking camelcamelcamel.com for all time low prices on Amazon never hurts easier.

I haven't looked at any of the deals myself yet so double check to make sure they're actually good deals.

Edit: The Sandisk Ultra II 500 GB + WD 1 TB External's cheapest price (between the two of them) was $154 but that was Black Friday only from what I can tell when the SSD itself was $100. The average price of the SSD alone is about $140. The external floats around $55-60. So you're really only saving about $10.

Edit #2: Most of these deals are mediocre at best. Check here for the best deals.

Edit #3: I take that back. There are actually a few really good deals.

NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS516PE 16-Port Gigabit Rackmount PoE Web Managed (Plus) Switch with 8 PoE Ports 85w (JGS516PE-100NAS) is at an all time low of $109. CCC link here.

Drobo B810n 8-Drive Network Attached Storage (NAS) Array, Gigabit Ethernet x 2 ports (DR-B810N-5A21) is at an all time low of $800.

Qnap personal cloud NAS/DAS with USB direct access, HDMI local display (TS-451A-2G-US) is at an all time low of $364.

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 212 2-Bay Network Attached Storage for Personal Cloud, Diskless (RN21200-100NES) is at an all time low of $200.

NETGEAR ReadyNAS 2120 1U Rackmount 4-Bay Network Attached Storage, Diskless (RN2120-200NES) all time low of $450.

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
God damn, the size of that new AMD Threadripper, going to need to rent a Uhaul just to get the motherboard, case and chip home.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
God damn, the size of that new AMD Threadripper, going to need to rent a Uhaul just to get the motherboard, case and chip home.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Live Web Cam Footage of Heko right now:

m6tikFL.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Quite underwhelmed here. Whats next? A Threadripper Slot A retro Athlon version?

Shitty developments really for all gamers and desktop consumers. Looks like AMD is chasing high end and HPC compute profits first on all fronts including graphics. The new X2/399 platforms really have nothing at all to do with high end desktops. Just an incursion into low end server space with AMD trying to sneak & skim some more profitable market share for once instead of trawling for scum @ bottom of desktop oceans.

Overall looking like regular gaming/desktop cpu prices will stay more or less the same as both AMD and Intel get to split and share profits from fleeced consumers in the sub $300 range. Good for AMD but the new platforms (both AMD and Intel) are severe waste of money for 100% of desktop users, none of whom need more than 8+ cores let alone 64 PCIe lanes and 4 chanel memory.

Going to wait to see what CoffeeLake & Zen+ bring to table next year before investing in a new socket and memory.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Zen+ will be the same socket as Ryzen, though threadripper uses a different socket. Also Amd has lowered prices on their Ryzen processes, 1700 now $319.

People on the interet are saying TR will be less than $1000.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So wait on upgrading at this point? I have a 2500k and everything runs great. Maybe I should just not upgrade yet.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can make that argument every year but a 7600k will blow your processor out of the water

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Finally got around to doing the delid. With Prime95 running full I was hitting 90+C, Core temp said it maxed at 99, now it maxes at 80 but averages 75. This is at 4.8 GHz 1.24v I think? Haven't moved it from there yet. Not bad, I don't think it was perfect and my idle temps seem a little high but at least they're lower at load. I never do know which program to monitor temps with, they all say something different, heh. The Asus one is lower than Core Temp and HW Monitor is all over the place. Oh well, was a fun experiment.

Ah, AI Suite didn't crack 70 running RealBench. Might try to push it to 5 GHz tonight. Now I'm going to get in trouble tinkering.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I want a new PC but my current PC plays everything at 120FPS on ultra in 1440p.

Why bother.

• 1Solidarity