Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Motherfucker. I don't think this computer is going to make it until Ryzen 2. I'm so fucking mad too. I had problems a few months ago, which I fixed by replacing the CMOS battery, and now it randomly shut off last night and wouldn't come back on until leaving it unplugged for a long time.

Not a CPU thermals issue. Going to replace the PSU and hope that'll last me another few months. It's possible the PSU itself is going into thermal shutdown? PSU is a top end Seasonic but very old (7 years) at this point.

I really do not want to buy an overpriced, hard to cool 9900K or an overpriced Intel motherboard. I pretty much hate all the shit that's available right now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Motherfucker. I don't think this computer is going to make it until Ryzen 2. I'm so fucking mad too. I had problems a few months ago, which I fixed by replacing the CMOS battery, and now it randomly shut off last night and wouldn't come back on until leaving it unplugged for a long time.

Not a CPU thermals issue. Going to replace the PSU and hope that'll last me another few months. It's possible the PSU itself is going into thermal shutdown? PSU is a top end Seasonic but very old (7 years) at this point.

I really do not want to buy an overpriced, hard to cool 9900K or an overpriced Intel motherboard. I pretty much hate all the shit that's available right now.

What are you playing ATM?

Like was previously mentioned here you can get a cheap 2000 Ryzen, like the 1600 for now and then upgrade to 3000 later, same socket, just get a good mo-bo. then ebay the 2000 chip later or something. Get your build up and running now. I have a feeling the 3000 wont be available anyways for a while because that shit will all be sold out for first 2-3 months.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What are you playing ATM?

Like was previously mentioned here you can get a cheap 2000 Ryzen, like the 1600 for now and then upgrade to 3000 later, same socket, jsut get a good mo-bo. then ebay the 2000 chip later or something. Get yoru build up and running now.
Cities Skylines and MTGA lol.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
That sounds like a similar issue I had with my board (asrock z170) a few years ago. I ended up RMAing and haven't had issues since. I believe the issue was related to capacitors not working properly/overheating on the board. Asrock support never specified the issue found, but replaced the board for free.

Anyways, it showed very similar symptoms. It would work fine and then randomly shutdown and not power back on. Or if I shut it down, it wouldnt power on later. I believe it was something to do with the capacitors not properly discharging and overheating preventing the board from powering up. I forget what it was exactly, but there were other people on the same line of boards, having the exact issue as I was. I did a few things to get the PC powered back on, starting with replacing the CMOS battery (this worked initially). Eventually, I was having to disconnect the PSU from the motherboard, as well as power to the PSU, then wait a few minutes, and reconnect it all. That typically did the trick for me. But it got to the point where I was having to do this multiple times a week.

Is it possible to just replace the motherboard with a cheaper one for the time being?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Replacing a Z87 motherboard does not seem worth it at this point. Also pretty fucking hard to find.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah fuck that, even on ebay the shit will probably be $100-$200 for a used board. Then the hassle of dismantling everything to put it in, ugh, might as well go all new. I have a old i5 3570 or 3750 whatever it was thats still attached to the mo bo with a coolermaster 212 I took out of my current system when I upgraded. PM me if interested, just pay for shipping and ill give you the damn thing if you want.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah fuck that, even on ebay the shit will probably be $100-$200 for a used board. Then the hassle of dismantling everything to put it in, ugh, might as well go all new. I have a old i5 3570 or 3750 whatever it was thats still attached to the mo bo with a coolermaster 212 I took out of my current system when I upgraded. PM me if interested, just pay for shipping and ill give you the damn thing if you want.
Yeah like you said, at that point it's just time to buy something new. I'm already looking at case reviews.

I did think of maybe buying a decent laptop to use temporarily while I wait for new shit to come out. Then when I do get my new shit, I'll still have a laptop.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
[URL]https://www.amazon.com/Swift-PG27UQ-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07F1VGGLK/ref=pd_sbs_147_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07F1VGGLK&pd_rd_r=cefd05aa-7723-11e9-a045-19daa5a404f5&pd_rd_w=RUi3H&pd_rd_wg=OylSH&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=62PDPBFXVM3MXMEAFC6S&psc=1&refRID=62PDPBFXVM3MXMEAFC6S[/URL]

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

Fucker

Log Wizard

Age of good PSU not an issue. I have a Seasonic in my Ryzen box that's 10 years old. Have you blown out the dust?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah like you said, at that point it's just time to buy something new. I'm already looking at case reviews.

I did think of maybe buying a decent laptop to use temporarily while I wait for new shit to come out. Then when I do get my new shit, I'll still have a laptop.

$750. IPS 1080 screen, GTX 1050ti GPU.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
looking for recommendations on an external usb 3.0 hard drives, something in the 4-8TB range.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Replaced the PSU because I was also getting occassional 'nvidia display driver recovery' errors, and those are almost always PSU issues.

Seems to be running good now.

Best combined CPU and GPU stress test, that's also free?

I mean, I'm considering just running P95 and Heaven benchmark at the same time, but that might be a little overkill. It IS a 6 year old PC.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Replaced the PSU because I was also getting occassional 'nvidia display driver recovery' errors, and those are almost always PSU issues.

Seems to be running good now.
Glad to hear it, this is a bad time to pick up new system with new AM4 boards just weeks away from release. Intel shit is overpriced and AMD stuff slower and a half step from being obsolete. Power delivery for new Zen 2 CPUs appears to have been improved and active cooling provided for at least some higher end boards. X570 boards might actually be a worthwhile investment for new platform buyers.
Best combined CPU and GPU stress test, that's also free?

I mean, I'm considering just running P95 and Heaven benchmark at the same time, but that might be a little overkill. It IS a 6 year old PC.
PSU is one of if not the most common reasons for failure. Stress test away. Always a good idea to have a backup PSU or spare PC to pilfer from when troubleshooting.