Desktop Computers

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah I'm not seeing the reason to go AMD at the top end unless you work on your home desktop. BIOS issues, X570 is a lot of money for features no one is using for years and if you're planning on playing WoW Classic it's still on ancient code that only uses one core anyway.

Streamers/youtubers should probably make the switch, although it's not like a 9900k is going to suck for that. Design people and coders that's a no brainer, but they already knew that. The question is more on the gaming/not much else side

But hey, if people thinking the 3900x is better than it is drops Intel prices (or after some optimization it ends up that good) I have no complaint

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Found this Newegg deal the other day. E-die, DDR4 3200mhz, cas16, 32gb

Ryzen likes fast ram but this could be worth considering if your not going for higher than 3200mhz and cas14. Cheapest 32gb kit with decent speeds I have seen in the past 2 years. Promotion ends Thursday.

The great part of Zen 2 performance is it seems like RAM speed really will not be as much of an issue as Zen1: even 3200 CAS 14 is ok. Most average applications already fit nicely into the larger Zen 2 caches. Unless you stumble upon the occasional outlier game or custom application, those caches suck up and hide most the off chiplet IO die penaly/weakness of Zen 2.

Size aside (which is all process gifts) AMD is slowly catching up (thought still fair bit behind) Intel caches.... Those Blue engineers & architects do some incredible work, its just the process guys that fooked up.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Even though its such an easy choice to go AM4 for anyone retiring an older system, overall Zen 2 is too green still, needs to ripen some.
Going to wait a month or two before deciding here, holding out for a 3900x or 3950x. Depends how well my old Crosshair VII works with 12 or 16 cores.

Rush rush rushed....AMD did rush this more than a lil. Likewise many of the reviews are kinda rushed and shitty with some having much too much fcking oohh aah brainless fanboyism swinging sharply for AMD. Going by the benchmarks Intel CPUs seem to be running into (my guess) overheating/boosting issues in some of the benchmarks and AMD is still dogged by some CCX thread scheduling and cache optimization issues on Windows. Perhaps game and app developers will tune and tweak for AMD much more now that Zen2 is a hit.

So personally I am going to wait at least a couple of months for the following things before upgrading:
  • BIOSes to stabilize,
  • More X470 + Zen 2 tests,
  • Linux support to mature,
  • turbo/PBO to be fixed: no point in getting 300 Mhz more boost atm if it rarely works.
  • better RAM performance scaling comparisons
  • 3950x reviews to come out after the above fixed.
And who knows, perhaps a cheapo budget Intel killer gaming build might be possible for x-mas? Intel The New Budget King? What a crown to hold for a year lol.

Why would it need to ripen some? The 3900X wiping its ass with Intel's CPU's right now. As is the 3700 and the 3600.

I can see holding off a bit for BIOS patches to roll in.

The rest of your rant seems to be made up of nonsense wrapped in buzzwords you heard on the internet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you guys really having performance issues watching videos and gaming at the same time?

My 6700k and 1070 from 4 years ago doesn't have any problems with that - at 16GB RAM IN CHROME

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Are you guys really having performance issues watching videos and gaming at the same time?

My 6700k and 1070 from 4 years ago doesn't have any problems with that - at 16GB RAM IN CHROME
yea this isn't 2000 where you had to boot up eq w/ sound turned off to save 5fps

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
They might be running into the dual monitor video watching issue with different refresh rate displays that is still an issue for some fucking reason.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Even though its such an easy choice to go AM4 for anyone retiring an older system, overall Zen 2 is too green still, needs to ripen some.
Going to wait a month or two before deciding here, holding out for a 3900x or 3950x. Depends how well my old Crosshair VII works with 12 or 16 cores.

Rush rush rushed....AMD did rush this more than a lil. Likewise many of the reviews are kinda rushed and shitty with some having much too much fcking oohh aah brainless fanboyism swinging sharply for AMD. Going by the benchmarks Intel CPUs seem to be running into (my guess) overheating/boosting issues in some of the benchmarks and AMD is still dogged by some CCX thread scheduling and cache optimization issues on Windows. Perhaps game and app developers will tune and tweak for AMD much more now that Zen2 is a hit.

So personally I am going to wait at least a couple of months for the following things before upgrading:
  • BIOSes to stabilize,
  • More X470 + Zen 2 tests,
  • Linux support to mature,
  • turbo/PBO to be fixed: no point in getting 300 Mhz more boost atm if it rarely works.
  • better RAM performance scaling comparisons
  • 3950x reviews to come out after the above fixed.
And who knows, perhaps a cheapo budget Intel killer gaming build might be possible for x-mas? Intel The New Budget King? What a crown to hold for a year lol.
This is similar to how I feel. Even though I'm tempted to upgrade, I'm definitely going to wait out the early adopters and see what actually turns out to be the situation

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
This is similar to how I feel. Even though I'm tempted to upgrade, I'm definitely going to wait out the early adopters and see what actually turns out to be the situation

Speaking of early situations, a bad BIOS flash bricked my Asus B450-F. I started stripping it to move the parts to a replacement motherboard. When I removed the wraith prism cooler, the CPU came up with it--the stock thermal paste glued the lid of the CPU to the copper bottom of the cooler. It damaged some pins as it pulled from the socket. I was able to fix the pins, and the CPU is working well so far an ASRock X570, but I think the stock paste is drier/stickier than usual. In fact, a Gizmodo article observed the same thing (too bad I read it 5 hours too late):

Now for the catch I alluded to at the top of this review: I beg you, do not use the heatsink and fan combo cooler AMD has included with the latest generation of Ryzen processors. A cooler is necessary, but there are plenty of better alternatives than the one AMD provides gratis. It’s ostensibly a quality cooler. It has LEDs and can sync with Razer Chroma software, but it’s also very loud, and there’s way too much of the unusually sticky thermal compound pre-applied. It’s so sticky that it will essentially glue the cooler to the CPU. That’s not the worst thing; a good seal between the two is great for optimal cooling.

Here’s why it’s a recipe for disaster. AMD’s CPU connects to the motherboard through a series of super delicate pins. Bend any of them, and you have a busted CPU that isn’t covered by AMD’s warranty. The cooler, meanwhile, attaches to the motherboard via two hooks. You hook one side of the cooler onto the board, tilt it onto the CPU, and then hook the other side on using a little metal arm. The metal arm is constructed of cheap metal and can get stuck. You may feel like you need to wiggle it to get it working and connected correctly. But one wrong wiggle and the cooler can unseat the CPU and bend pins.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Look what AMD started:

14 nm+++++++++++++++++++

Yeah it unselected. Will buy a power supply. Other than that though looks good?

Motherboard only has a 4+4 VRM; fine for stock; wouldn't recommend for OCing. Integrated LAN is Realtek; Intel is arguably better. Integrated sound is good; the ALC1220 is a relatively new audio chipset, and it's supposedly pretty good.

H500i looks pretty similar to my case; I have no complaints.

RX 580 is fine for 1080p; basically a newer version of the R9 390 which I have in my machine. It's a little power hoggy if you care about that.

Don't know much about memory; 3200 was fine for first-gen Zen if you could get it to run. The sweet spot looks like 3600 CL16, but the performance increase over 3200 CL16 is relatively small, so don't go crazy spending on boutique memory if you can't find it for a similar price.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Speaking of early situations, a bad BIOS flash bricked my Asus B450-F. I started stripping it to move the parts to a replacement motherboard. When I removed the wraith prism cooler, the CPU came up with it--the stock thermal paste glued the lid of the CPU to the copper bottom of the cooler. It damaged some pins as it pulled from the socket. I was able to fix the pins, and the CPU is working well so far an ASRock X570, but I think the stock paste is drier/stickier than usual. In fact, a Gizmodo article observed the same thing (too bad I read it 5 hours too late):

Now for the catch I alluded to at the top of this review: I beg you, do not use the heatsink and fan combo cooler AMD has included with the latest generation of Ryzen processors. A cooler is necessary, but there are plenty of better alternatives than the one AMD provides gratis. It’s ostensibly a quality cooler. It has LEDs and can sync with Razer Chroma software, but it’s also very loud, and there’s way too much of the unusually sticky thermal compound pre-applied. It’s so sticky that it will essentially glue the cooler to the CPU. That’s not the worst thing; a good seal between the two is great for optimal cooling.

Here’s why it’s a recipe for disaster. AMD’s CPU connects to the motherboard through a series of super delicate pins. Bend any of them, and you have a busted CPU that isn’t covered by AMD’s warranty. The cooler, meanwhile, attaches to the motherboard via two hooks. You hook one side of the cooler onto the board, tilt it onto the CPU, and then hook the other side on using a little metal arm. The metal arm is constructed of cheap metal and can get stuck. You may feel like you need to wiggle it to get it working and connected correctly. But one wrong wiggle and the cooler can unseat the CPU and bend pins.

I don't know why more boards don't include recovery SPI flashes with a good stock bios on it. I know some boards do

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Is that reviewer 20 years old? Does he not remember a time when Intel CPUs had the pins on them? I remember doing it on an old P4. Ripping your CPU out of the socket when taking the heatsink off has always been a thing. The solution to that is quite simple; warm up the heatsink first then when removing it twist it off not pull it off.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why more boards don't include recovery SPI flashes with a good stock bios on it. I know some boards do

It seems like it would be an easy thing to do. Boards have so many flaws that have just continued through the years. Even with this new x570, it's like no one considered how close the GPU would be to the CPU if it's in slot 1 or how close to the PSU if it's in slot 2. And in either slot, the end of the GPU blocks at least a third of the new PCIe4.0 onboard fan...seriously stupid.

Is that reviewer 20 years old? Does he not remember a time when Intel CPUs had the pins on them? I remember doing it on an old P4. Ripping your CPU out of the socket when taking the heatsink off has always been a thing. The solution to that is quite simple; warm up the heatsink first then when removing it twist it off not pull it off.

Not sure about that reviewer, but there is something extra sticky about this stock thermal paste. They changed the formula or something. I think it's exacerbated by the seams in the copper on the base of the prism cooler--they help create more suction.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

According to this I'm not stupid for thinking a 9700K is kind of a better deal than a 3700X. Consider also that the motherboards are way cheaper and you don't have to be as picky with the RAM.

Then again I'm not sure I really need to upgrade my 4770K at this point.