Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
Daughter and I do video editing yes. Open to better cooler, nothing water though.

If you don't mind noise, then the cooler it comes with is fine. It's a leaf blower, though. It's always ramping up and down in fan speed which can be fucking annoying.

The CM 212 is quieter but still present. If you value silence, then a Noctua NDH-15 is the cooler to get. It's giant and PITA to work around, but it is quiet. My CPU gets as hot as 65C and the cooler has a quiet woosh doing it. The loudest part of my PC is the mouse. I have the NDH-14 and got a $9 kit to make it work with my Ryzen. Money well spent for me, because I hate noisy fans.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Arctic has really taken the lead as incredible bang for buck in cooling. I highly recommend the Freezer 34 - a 120mm heat sink is pretty much commody at this point, everyone's are the exact same, but their fans are a huge cut above other 'budget' fan offerings. I actually replaced all my AIO fans with their $7 fans from Newegg just because they were so much better at pushing air/pressure relative to sound level compared to what originally came with the $120 AIOs.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Some AIOs don't come with the right fans for particular setups. If they are pulling heat off the radiator instead of driving air through, they need to make high static pressure. Pretty sure that requires the fan to have a deeper scoop, and I'm not sure the deeper scoops can be as quiet.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man IDK, the 212 for the price just cannot be beaten. For instance some years ago I built my brother the exact same system I had, but he persisted on one of those self contained liquid setups, cost about $120 I think If im remebering right. and yeah it did cool a bit better, about 2-3C better than the CM212 that was on my system idle, and like 5c at max load. So you be the judge, its better but a $100 better?

I mean if space is an issue? I guess? I never had problems with it though. Some thinner cases might have problems with the 212.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Man IDK, the 212 for the price just cannot be beaten. For instance some years ago I built my brother the exact same system I had, but he persisted on one of those self contained liquid setups, cost about $120 I think If im remebering right. and yeah it did cool a bit better, about 2-3C better than the CM212 that was on my system idle, and like 5c at max load. So you be the judge, its better but a $100 better?

I mean if space is an issue? I guess? I never had problems with it though. Some thinner cases might have problems with the 212.

There are better coolers available for the same price, or lower. It's an old design that was only really good because everything else anywhere near its price was shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I dont know man, I just checked a whole bunch of websites that list the best 2019 coolers and 212 is still there in the list as the best budget cooler. Im not sure how you can design an air cooler better without making it bigger and pushing more air. I saw some others, including updated CM that had 2 fans on it....

Brass CPU direct contact, check
4 brass heat pipes direct contact, check
120mm fan, check
Quiet, check.

Price $30, check

fight me!

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah I dont know man, I just checked a whole bunch of websites that list the best 2019 coolers and 212 is still there in the list as the best budget cooler. Im not sure how you can design an air cooler better without making it bigger and pushing more air. I saw some others, including updated CM that had 2 fans on it....

Brass CPU direct contact, check
4 brass heat pipes direct contact, check
120mm fan, check
Quiet, check.

Price $30, check

fight me!

I'd wager those are shit sites that don't do thorough testing on air coolers (or any for that matter) and just do top lists in order to get on google searches.

It's been well over a year since I last did research on this stuff (thorough tests from several sources), and even then the 212 was way behind other offerings.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What wattage PSU do I realistically need for a modern gaming PC?

And is there any real difference between 16gb ram and 32gb ram for gaming?
For best results you want your typical load to be 50% of your psus rated wattage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What wattage PSU do I realistically need for a modern gaming PC?

And is there any real difference between 16gb ram and 32gb ram for gaming?
no, just get 16, but if 32 is just a few bucks more, can't pass it up then.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
From earlier post on power, no one asked but if people were wondering how I monitored power at multiple plugs it was with these:
( if Amazon links are working again )
Guess not if using ublock.If you are take space out of the URL amazon. com/gp/product/B07PLFZ58Y/ or click here
Very handy, built in led nightlight, can turn outlet on and off and monitor power use in real time. I bought them to control my aquarium feeder and lights initially to turn off and on at certain times. I expanded that to power the automatic litter boxes ( they spin very slowly 24/7 to scoop ) so they just did it every other hour to save wear and tear. Then I ordered another so I can turn on my desk heater this winter by just telling Alexa to turn it off and on from bed.
The real issue with them is the app wants every permission imaginable. While not 100% secure what I have done is take all the wifi smart home things and stuck them on a 2nd router and I use my older Fire 8" tablets before we got the 10s last year with nothing on it. No contacts, emails nada. Stripped as I can of info. I connect that tablet to the wifi smart home router and have it through my primary router. Better than nothing. The company has tons of reviews however and probably not anymore a leech of personal info that anything else these days.

• 1Barf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
From earlier post on power, no one asked but if people were wondering how I monitored power at multiple plugs it was with these:
( if Amazon links are working again )
Guess not if using ublock.If you are take space out of the URL amazon. com/gp/product/B07PLFZ58Y/ or click here
Very handy, built in led nightlight, can turn outlet on and off and monitor power use in real time. I bought them to control my aquarium feeder and lights initially to turn off and on at certain times. I expanded that to power the automatic litter boxes ( they spin very slowly 24/7 to scoop ) so they just did it every other hour to save wear and tear. Then I ordered another so I can turn on my desk heater this winter by just telling Alexa to turn it off and on from bed.
The real issue with them is the app wants every permission imaginable. While not 100% secure what I have done is take all the wifi smart home things and stuck them on a 2nd router and I use my older Fire 8" tablets before we got the 10s last year with nothing on it. No contacts, emails nada. Stripped as I can of info. I connect that tablet to the wifi smart home router and have it through my primary router. Better than nothing. The company has tons of reviews however and probably not anymore a leech of personal info that anything else these days.
2pack for 30 is not a bad deal tbh i bought some for 10$ each, some china company and they work fine but were a bitch to setup w/ alexa, amazon had one that was $10 also on prime day, that didn't even need setup (b/c it was already tied to my amazon account when i bought it, which is actually kind of scary, but whatever!!!)

and for 5bucks more you get basically a killawat, which is usually 25bucks anyway.

Oldbased

> Than U
2pack for 30 is not a bad deal tbh i bought some for 10$ each, some china company and they work fine but were a bitch to setup w/ alexa, amazon had one that was $10 also on prime day, that didn't even need setup (b/c it was already tied to my amazon account when i bought it, which is actually kind of scary, but whatever!!!)

and for 5bucks more you get basically a killawat, which is usually 25bucks anyway.
The problem with Killawatt is the products I looked up are old and the company appears to be basically gone. Another company is making the "same" product in a updated version but build quality appeared down and I found lots of reports of fires/melting.
The ones I linked often have a $5-10 amazon coupon for them which is about $10 each. It sucks they didn't make them 1/8inch smaller or even 1/16th inch as if you use 2 together they push each other slightly off angle.

I didn't have a issue with Alexa, I just enabled the "skill" and named the plug for what I do. The aquarium light for example is plugged into one named Fish light. Alexa turn on fight light. Ok. Boom! Mostly I use the app for timer though. It comes on at 4pm and goes off at 2am. Fish seem happier, I was terrible about feeding/lighting consistently before.
Most of my main stuff I run through the UPS though and I set it to display output wattage on screen so I can see how much power is being used at a glance. Definitely the safest in terms of privacy.

The smart plugs are nice to have though as you can go through your house and verify how much that fridge is costing you exactly and make sure microwaves, toasters and such use what they claim to use. I tried it on 2 heaters last night I've had for years. Both claimed low was 750 watts. One was 895 and took my line voltage from 121 to 117volts and the other 641 and 119 volts for that circuit. That was good to know when you are toeing the 1500 watt line. We had a tower fan that wasn't all that great at moving air which was using 88 watts of power! The vortex fan that'll freeze a frost giant was using 49.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The problem with Killawatt is the products I looked up are old and the company appears to be basically gone. Another company is making the "same" product in a updated version but build quality appeared down and I found lots of reports of fires/melting.
The ones I linked often have a $5-10 amazon coupon for them which is about $10 each. It sucks they didn't make them 1/8inch smaller or even 1/16th inch as if you use 2 together they push each other slightly off angle.

I didn't have a issue with Alexa, I just enabled the "skill" and named the plug for what I do. The aquarium light for example is plugged into one named Fish light. Alexa turn on fight light. Ok. Boom! Mostly I use the app for timer though. It comes on at 4pm and goes off at 2am. Fish seem happier, I was terrible about feeding/lighting consistently before.
Most of my main stuff I run through the UPS though and I set it to display output wattage on screen so I can see how much power is being used at a glance. Definitely the safest in terms of privacy.

The smart plugs are nice to have though as you can go through your house and verify how much that fridge is costing you exactly and make sure microwaves, toasters and such use what they claim to use. I tried it on 2 heaters last night I've had for years. Both claimed low was 750 watts. One was 895 and took my line voltage from 121 to 117volts and the other 641 and 119 volts for that circuit. That was good to know when you are toeing the 1500 watt line. We had a tower fan that wasn't all that great at moving air which was using 88 watts of power! The vortex fan that'll freeze a frost giant was using 49.
oh cool i'll add em to my list then, for yous guys, if you add stuff to your wishlist, amazon will notify you of sales or lightning deals on the items.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Welp, went the lazy route and got an Origin PC when I looked around and saw it was only about $150 more after taxes (shipping was free) than building myself. Hopefully it isn't a piece of shit!

Corsair Carbide 175R case
Intel Core i9 9900K 8-Core 3.6GHz (5.0GHz TurboBoost)
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming
16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3000MHz (2x8GB)
ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System
NVIDIA 8GB GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER FOUNDERS EDITION
2TB NVMe SSD
CORSAIR 750X RMX SERIES PLUS GOLD

Parts seem quality enough. Only thing that is a wait-and-see is the overall quality of the build (cable management, etc) and quality of their own shit like the liquid cooling system and the SSD.

Will take a couple weeks to get it. Gonna go with a Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ 27" to replace my old primary monitor as well.

• 1Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Welp, went the lazy route and got an Origin PC when I looked around and saw it was only about $150 more after taxes (shipping was free) than building myself. Hopefully it isn't a piece of shit!

2TB NVMe SSD

Parts seem quality enough. Only thing that is a wait-and-see is the overall quality of the build (cable management, etc) and quality of their own shit like the liquid cooling system and the SSD.

Will take a couple weeks to get it. Gonna go with a Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ 27" to replace my old primary monitor as well.

You almost made it an entire week, not shabby. I knew you werent going to wait till cyber monday.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

2TB NVMe SSD

150 dollar peace of mind. Smart if you ask me. You know it will work and be put together well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
I've had my current rig since 2011. I wanted a new shiny, lol.

I think I get the new COD and Outer Worlds with it, to boot.
Thats a pretty badass computer and will be amazing for a long ass time. Its nice just turning everything up to ultra settings. Merry christmas.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
2TB NVMe SSD

~$2,367 on the Origin site?

$1,766

Can I convince you to go with this and get a 2080ti for less than you're forking to Origin?

$2,145

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users