Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LOL use it as an opportunity to clean up all your shit and fresh win install.
Exactly.

One thing I wanted to do but couldn't quite figure out was how to turn my old install of Windows into a virtual machine I could mount.

I built a VHD for it but it said it wasn't bootable.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Exactly.

One thing I wanted to do but couldn't quite figure out was how to turn my old install of Windows into a virtual machine I could mount.

I built a VHD for it but it said it wasn't bootable.
God damn I'm fucking good at computers; I got it to work.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, I'd get NVME M2 drives because they are great not just for the better speeds, but the form factor. Less wires and hassle.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'd wager you don't need a heatsink for it at all if you have sufficient air flow and it's not in a slot that is buried underneath the GPU

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
OK, so I like the idea of NVME for exactly the reasons that slippery slippery laid out; but my last question is if I need to get it the specific heat sink. This is my motherboard and it has its own heat sink, will that be enough?
you don't need a heatsink at all, all NVME drives function fine naked, it's when companies decide to be "different" and slap on a 1$ annodized heatsink to look cool

does your MB look like this? i timestamped a m2 install for you w/ the mb provided heatsink

i mean, the guy doesn't even bother to remove the m2 upc sticker, lulz

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
OK, here is my final build except for the mobo is the Phantom 4 and not the Pro 4 and I already had the graphics card. The monitors were refreshed Acer from Amazon for $190 each and showed up yesterday....they are beautiful.

I am pretty sure this is considered budget+ since nothing is earth shattering but I don't have the time to really enjoy a super gaming setup and this will probably run Cyberpunk 2077 just fine.

1576072029617.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
OK, here is my final build except for the mobo is the Phantom 4 and not the Pro 4 and I already had the graphics card. The monitors were refreshed Acer from Amazon for $190 each and showed up yesterday....they are beautiful.

I am pretty sure this is considered budget+ since nothing is earth shattering but I don't have the time to really enjoy a super gaming setup and this will probably run Cyberpunk 2077 just fine.

I think you overpaid for those monitors, at least since they're not even new. There are many other options around that price range. You can get 144hz IPS panels (1080p) for around that price now, or even a 1440p 144hz IPS on a good sale for a little over $100 more. Them being TN and only 75hz makes me sad. Might want to look at other options while you're still inside your return window.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I think you overpaid for those monitors, at least since they're not even new. There are many other options around that price range. You can get 144hz IPS panels (1080p) for around that price now, or even a 1440p 144hz IPS on a good sale for a little over $100 more. Them being TN and only 75hz makes me sad. Might want to look at other options while you're still inside your return window.

Those were the only piece that I was not totally sold on; but they are replacing two 24" monitors that are 7 years old, have thick bezels, and lousy refresh rates. So you are right but sitting in front of them right now, they are such a huge upgrade from what I had that I just cannot complain.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Those were the only piece that I was not totally sold on; but they are replacing two 24" monitors that are 7 years old, have thick bezels, and lousy refresh rates. So you are right but sitting in front of them right now, they are such a huge upgrade from what I had that I just cannot complain.

Yeah, I'm not trying to detract from your enjoyment of them. Just know that there are other options, and some of those options provide another level of improvement over those as those do over what you had.

Mind you, a 144hz 1440p monitor would be too lofty for a 1060 anyway, so 75hz is a fine enough fit. If you don't plan on upgrading over that GPU anytime soon, then the only alternative I would really suggest you look at would be a 144hz 1080p IPS panel. The AOC 24G2 for example seems to drop down to around $165USD at times:

Fucker

Log Wizard
you don't need a heatsink at all, all NVME drives function fine naked, it's when companies decide to be "different" and slap on a 1$ annodized heatsink to look cool

does your MB look like this? i timestamped a m2 install for you w/ the mb provided heatsink

i mean, the guy doesn't even bother to remove the m2 upc sticker, lulz

The m2 drive in my second slot was naked and would throttle under heavy loads. A $10 heatsink fixed it.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
jesus, was it continous file xfer?

Yep.

Why not toss a heatsink on one? The cost is nothing vs being annoyed even once at something that isn't performing at 100%.

You don't need to remove the product sticker for the heatsinks to be effective. Keep in mind that removing the sticker voids the warranty.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yep.

Why not toss a heatsink on one? The cost is nothing vs being annoyed even once at something that isn't performing at 100%.

You don't need to remove the product sticker for the heatsinks to be effective. Keep in mind that removing the sticker voids the warranty.
doing research, seems the new gen4s are blistering fast but under continuous load the controller gets hot and will throttle to keep from overheating, so the heatsink really isn't for the nands (b/c some nand chips are also on the bottom) that huge heatsink really is for the controller.

Fucker

Log Wizard
doing research, seems the new gen4s are blistering fast but under continuous load the controller gets hot and will throttle to keep from overheating, so the heatsink really isn't for the nands (b/c some nand chips are also on the bottom) that huge heatsink really is for the controller.

.this has been known since m2's were released.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you really want to have a heatsink on one, at least make sure it's a finned one like this:

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

and not one of those shitty flat ones that tend to come with motherboards which will make the thermals worse

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of monitors, I just ordered a VX2758-2KP for $400cad. It's crazy just how many 1440p144hz IPS monitors are available for good prices now. It was just a year ago or so where all the similar spec monitors were around $800

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Yep.

Which heatsink do you recommend? I have an older sammy 970 evo nvme (before plus, damn).