Desktop Computers

Argarth

On the verandah
I can't fully explain why, but I really want to build a TR 3970X system.

For sure, the engineering wizardry and performance (even in gaming) being off the charts has a lot to do with it. Can't justify it, can't really afford it, don't need it at all. STILL WANT IT.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, I'd get NVME M2 drives because they are great not just for the better speeds, but the form factor. Less wires and hassle.
Yeah I thought about chucking my SATA SSDs as well but I can't really justify getting rid of perfectly good 1TB and 512GB Samsungs. This case is really nice and has 2x tool-less SSD mounts behind the motherboard tray so it's really just a couple wires that have to tuck back there.

Maybe next PC...

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I thought about chucking my SATA SSDs as well but I can't really justify getting rid of perfectly good 1TB and 512GB Samsungs. This case is really nice and has 2x tool-less SSD mounts behind the motherboard tray so it's really just a couple wires that have to tuck back there.

Maybe next PC...

Yeah, I can't justify replacing them in current build. When I do a new build next year though, probably. Though there is some chance that I still end up with a couple large SATA SSD's for storage stuff, depending on costs at the time.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Maybe next PC...

NVME are perfect for high loads, but sata SSD still very useful. Still 99% as good as nvme for games.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
What monitors are hot right now? Kinda want to get an ultrawide IPS but dont want to break the bank and still have a decent refresh rate.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
600 or less ideally.

The best ultrawide you could get around 600 would likely be the widely praised Dell Alienware AW3418DW if they have another sale for $650 (just had that for BF)

Otherwise, this is a new release that is pretty good for its price ($600 on Amazon)

There's also cheaper VA options

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If you can live without ultrawide, I highly recommend the LG 27GL83A-B. You get the same performance as the LG 27GL850-B just without the wide colour gamut, at a much cheaper price. LG 27GL850-B if you need colour critical coverage though.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

I've been using this monitor for a few months and it's been great so far. Not ultrawide, but it's big enough for me and the curve doesn't detract too much (which I was afraid of)

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
If you can live without ultrawide, I highly recommend the LG 27GL83A-B. You get the same performance as the LG 27GL850-B just without the wide colour gamut, at a much cheaper price. LG 27GL850-B if you need colour critical coverage though.
I have a 4k LG and the picture is amazeballs. Only 60hz though so sad times for gaming. Was surprised at how good 1440p looked on it.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'd take high refresh 1440p over 60hz 4k any day.
For sure, was mostly using it for the PS4 i have at my desk. I have an acer 1440p 144hz monitor but was sitting around last night looking at the LG 4k IPS and my BENQ 1080p IPS sitting next to it and the colors were just so meh on the Acer. The more I looked at it the more it annoyed me. LG high on my list at this point, just a matter of deciding how much $ I want to blow.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
For sure, was mostly using it for the PS4 i have at my desk. I have an acer 1440p 144hz monitor but was sitting around last night looking at the LG 4k IPS and my BENQ 1080p IPS sitting next to it and the colors were just so meh on the Acer. The more I looked at it the more it annoyed me. LG high on my list at this point, just a matter of deciding how much $ I want to blow.

If that acer is a TN, it would certainly be the cause of that difference. For gaming you really only need srgb coverage, so anything that covers near 100% srgb and is an IPS panel is about as good as you can get on the colour front. HDR aside of course.

I encounter the same issue switching back and forth between my monitor and my sony 4k TV. The monitor is TN, and the TV is IPS, and has far better colour. It hurts to look at the monitor if I've used the TV recently.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's funny how cases used to be a chassis for all your drives and shit and now they're basically just a wind-tunnel for your GPU and CPU coolers.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's funny how cases used to be a chassis for all your drives and shit and now they're basically just a wind-tunnel for your GPU and CPU coolers.
i remember my first big boi case was the 750 supermicro in the 90s
Case.jpg

even with all those fan mounts i still bought a jigsaw and cut out some bigger holes in front and back.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you have a few hours if you want to take advantage of this amazon deal of the day at 619$

Acer EI491CR Pbmiiipx 49" Curved DFHD (3840 x 1080) VA Monitor with AMD Radeon FreeSync2 Technology,144Hz, VESA Certified DisplayHDR400, DCI-P3