Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Ahhh. I didn't change the voltage. What is the downside to changing the voltage?
Runs hotter, uses more power, less headroom to be overclocked any higher. In general you shouldn't need to increase the voltage on RAM to get it to run at it's advertised speed.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
No idea what that is...
There should be something like below in your bios, I tried to find and MSI image but I have no idea what your bios looks like. You want to enable the XMP part, that will set your memory settings to the actual timings/speed you see on the box

1597772883070.png

Edit: An article Simple RAM Overclocking With a Few Clicks: How to Enable XMP

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There should be something like below in your bios, I tried to find and MSI image but I have no idea what your bios looks like. You want to enable the XMP part, that will set your memory settings to the actual timings/speed you see on the box

View attachment 294359

Edit: An article Simple RAM Overclocking With a Few Clicks: How to Enable XMP

Brahma Brahma did this work? Haven’t fiddled with my new Pc at all. Curious how big you can make fonts with the new ram speed.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Brahma Brahma did this work? Haven’t fiddled with my new Pc at all. Curious how big you can make fonts with the new ram speed.

May your balls be stabbed repeatedly by a rusty Covid19 fork.

Every time I try to go above 3100/100 I get a blue screen.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

How do you back out of that? Does it just not keep the settings in memory so a reboot fixes it?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Return that shit bro.

Good deal on Corsair RGB:

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
ProTip: Use your phone to take a picture of your bios windows whenever you change anything to avoid forgetting settings or losing profiles.

• 1Mother of God

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No, I just go back into bios prior to boot and change the speed and voltage.
Like others said. Default the Bios settings and just enable XMP. Check YouTube or a guide if you don't know how, it should be easy to find in Bios though.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I feel dumb now. Didn't even know about the XMP setting. I tuned it manually. Guess it did it's job because everything's been smooth sailing since December.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Shucked two WD Easystores from Best Buy tonight, got 2 x WD120EDAZ. Was a bit disappointed at first not to get the EMFZ but then I realized my drives don't need the 3.3v mod and one of the two benchmarks higher than I've seen the EMFZ drives benchmark. I'm starting to think the name codes mean just about nothing.

I'm kind of pissed I bought them from Best Buy though and paid almost $40 in sales tax. I'm considering order two off of NewEgg and returning those to Best Buy to get the tax refunded.

edit: The Easystores are apparently exclusive to Best Buy, so scratch that.

I'm now having an existential crisis over whether or not it makes sense for me to give up 50% of my capacity in the name of drive mirroring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
ProTip: Use your phone to take a picture of your bios windows whenever you change anything to avoid forgetting settings or losing profiles.

I do this before I begun tearing apart/rewiring anything (home or work), changing configuration settings, or disassembling anything that I don’t deal with often. Blows peoples minds when they see me do it. It blows my mind more people don’t, everyone has a top tier camera in their pocket, wtf.

Now, I happen to have a ton of leftover random pics in my phone but 🤷‍♂️

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I do this before I begun tearing apart/rewiring anything (home or work), changing configuration settings, or disassembling anything that I don’t deal with often. Blows peoples minds when they see me do it. It blows my mind more people don’t, everyone has a top tier camera in their pocket, wtf.

yea do that for everything, did that last-ish year when installing new thermostat and wifi sprinklers

Kais

<Gold Donor>

Don't trash those, stuff em in a folder somewhere with descriptive filenames of what you're looking at. Made me look like a hero a couple times at work when a contractor would come in and fuck something up.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Don't trash those, stuff em in a folder somewhere with descriptive filenames of what you're looking at. Made me look like a hero a couple times at work when a contractor would come in and fuck something up.

Yeah I do. Surprising how many times I’ve gone back to pictures that are 4+ years old to reference something

• 1Solidarity

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
So I am planning on building a pc soon within 1-2 months I think. I was initially set on a x570 board and a 3900X, with the best 3600 RAM I could find I might get a 30xx nvida card when they drop to replace my 1080. I am now also considering the 10900, and maybe the 10900K if I can find one in stock... Besides the prices of the cpus, whats going to future proof me the most? It will be overkill for what I mostly do, but I like overkill, and if I do throw something at it down the road I want to to be able to run it like a top. I also see that the new AMD chips will still work with the x570 board? So if I did go 3900X I might be able to upgrade down the road.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users