Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I am thinking the extra 2 cores will make a difference soon with 8c being the target in ps5/Xbox. I tend to keep my pc for about 5 years and not upgrade much.

The article I was looking at had performance gains up to 30% by unlocking the 65W limit. I know that is best case scenario but that is still pretty great results.

I was never really interested in the 10700k over the 3700x since it is 120 bucks higher, didn't seem worth it. 30 bucks diff seemed much more reasonable for the few % gains.

I am probably just getting impatient because I have a new case/drive/ram sitting here waiting on the 3070 or 80 to release and want to buy my mobo/CPU so I can play with it now.
Well if you do decide to go that route with the 10700, make sure you budget in for a top tier CPU cooler. From the sound of that article, unlocking the PL1 limit turns the processor into an inefficient power-hungry monster and sends temps through the roof. Also consider whether you want the additional noise that comes along with that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Customer of mine offered a brand new Intel 9700F that was on a prebuilt that they salvaged. Never been used. I know it can't be overclocked and has no GPU. I don't normally overclock and the lack of a GPU really wouldn't matter. Any other drawbacks. I don't even think it was the for the company. Owner is a big ideas guy that has been big into computers since he had a BBS and such. I think he bought several of them to pull parts out of for something else. Who knows.

Strong gaming CPU. Since you're not going to be overclocking it you don't need an expensive motherboard either, a B365 board will do. B360 boards should work if it has had a bios update.

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Customer of mine offered a brand new Intel 9700F

To repeat a B series board amputates Intel's last remaining advantage, gaming fps. Now, if it's a good deal you could build a very cheap gaming system with oem level 2666 mhz ram and board. Some other downsides- no multithreading, gen4, or a decent upgrade path (9900K will never be cheap.)

I am thinking the extra 2 cores will make a difference soon with 8c being the target in ps5/Xbox. I tend to keep my pc for about 5 years and not upgrade much.

Safer to go AMD if you're looking at possible next-gen targets with cost concerns.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What's a good mATX or ITX case that isn't a giant pain in the ass to work in? I want a second, more portable PC, but it doesn't have to be super small.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Check out this guy, pretty much reviews every ITX case that come out, not so much mATX tho

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Grabbed a new Dell 27 165 Hz. I think it has the same panel as the LG 850. Stand in line! It'll be here at the end of the month.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Very interested in a review on that. There was an insane paypal + dell deal on slickdeals the other day for that monitor.

Dell is also supposedly going to be releasing an Alienware 27 inch 240hz Fast-IPS 1440p with G-sync Ultimate, HDR600 and 0.1" bezels. AW2721D. Probably going to try to charge 800+ bucks for it though.

Also they're going to make a copy of the 38 inch LG Gsync ultrawide, the AW3821DW.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Very interested in a review on that. There was an insane paypal + dell deal on slickdeals the other day for that monitor.

Dell is also supposedly going to be releasing an Alienware 27 inch 240hz Fast-IPS 1440p with G-sync Ultimate, HDR600 and 0.1" bezels. AW2721D. Probably going to try to charge 800+ bucks for it though.

Also they're going to make a copy of the 38 inch LG Gsync ultrawide, the AW3821DW.

That's where I found it. Unfortunately, I was too slow to click and missed the bus. The next shipment is 3 weeks away.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

Honestly that's not even that bad a price. I feel like monitor prices dropped a lot after the GSync/Freesync compatible stuff happened. For a while so many monitors outrageously expensive.

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
That 3090 looked huge! I don't know if I can justify the extra 800 dollars for one considering how good the 3080 is supposed to be already. Who knows though, im also the type of person to spend double the price to go from a 65" tv to a 75" :honkler:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That 3090 looked huge! I don't know if I can justify the extra 800 dollars for one considering how good the 3080 is supposed to be already. Who knows though, im also the type of person to spend double the price to go from a 65" tv to a 75" :honkler:
That's where I'm at. I don't know if I can justify doubling the cost at that price point to get the increase in performance. The benchmarks would have to be truly staggering, and I just don't see it.