Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Not pretty yet, but leak test ready.

Attachments

• 20201112_130252.jpg
    20201112_130252.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What is the real price youre paying for that 1080TI or do you already have that?

The GPU, cooler and the drives were moved over from my previous desktop.

Seems idiotic that you need to update bios prior to the new CPU. I’m going to run into that same fuck up with no extra CPU to use

The motherboard I got can be updated without a CPU in it. My problem is that I fully assembled it, powered it on and nothing happened because I hadn't updated the bios yet. In order to update the bios without a supported CPU in it, it has to have the CPU, GPU, and memory removed. Plug in a USB stick with the new bios, hit a button and it will do it's thing.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The GPU, cooler and the drives were moved over from my previous desktop.

The motherboard I got can be updated without a CPU in it. My problem is that I fully assembled it, powered it on and nothing happened because I hadn't updated the bios yet. In order to update the bios without a supported CPU in it, it has to have the CPU, GPU, and memory removed. Plug in a USB stick with the new bios, hit a button and it will do it's thing.
You can use no cpu update with cpu the exact same way. At least on my MSI tomahawk I can and did.

finally got the distro plate in. So I can start to bend tubes or wait for the GPU waterblock which can be another month or so. Would be nice if someone had a good 3090 FE waterblock readily available by now.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Help me out here homies:

I reformatted the other week and now my twitch streams on my second monitor are freezing or stuttering (audio continues) while playing a CPU heavy game. This was an issue I fixed in the past but I can't remember how. Ringing a bell for anyone?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Streaming software and drivers up to date?

Sure you are using the same settings in your streaming software?

Is there some weird program running in the background eating up system resources?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Streaming software and drivers up to date?

Sure you are using the same settings in your streaming software?

Is there some weird program running in the background eating up system resources?
Sorry. twitch streams that I'm watching. And there's no program getting in the way. My memory is telling me it's some sort of performance setting in firefox or windows.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
You can use no cpu update with cpu the exact same way. At least on my MSI tomahawk I can and did.

finally got the distro plate in. So I can start to bend tubes or wait for the GPU waterblock which can be another month or so. Would be nice if someone had a good 3090 FE waterblock readily available by now.
Can I come deadlift your computer as a workout when you’re done?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sorry. twitch streams that I'm watching. And there's no program getting in the way. My memory is telling me it's some sort of performance setting in firefox or windows.

You comp is telling you twitch is bad, dont use me for that shit

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Next Wednesday is the 6800 release, hook a brother up with some links if you can the day before. Just picked up my 5800x today. Last piece of the puzzle now before I can build.

will love longtime

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hydro Coppers went on sale today via twitter post - mfer ofcourse theyre sold out - oh well EK should be listed this month on 3090

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Hydro Coppers went on sale today via twitter post - mfer ofcourse theyre sold out - oh well EK should be listed this month on 3090
As far as I could tell, they went on “notify me” but weren’t actually purchaseable.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can I please get a recommendation on a complete build PC? I do a lot of photogrammetry work that ends up benefiting from a gaming PC, but I don't need THE top of the line system. I imagine something that was the hot new shit ~2 years ago is about what I'm aiming for.

No fucking idea what other information I need to provide, other than it's for a home office and I'd like to be able to use multiple user accounts. And I fucking hate tinkering with PCs, so I just want something that works with minimal fiddleshit.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Do you have a ultra wide monitor or do you need one? 1 normal 24-27 inch monitor is great and an ultra wide for the other stuff is super nice.

You can get a pretty amazing computer for like $1500 out of the box, plug it in and it works. Youll prolly want 32 gigs of ram. You could prolly do what you need for less but might as well do it now and use it for 5-10 years.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Can I please get a recommendation on a complete build PC? I do a lot of photogrammetry work that ends up benefiting from a gaming PC, but I don't need THE top of the line system. I imagine something that was the hot new shit ~2 years ago is about what I'm aiming for.

No fucking idea what other information I need to provide, other than it's for a home office and I'd like to be able to use multiple user accounts. And I fucking hate tinkering with PCs, so I just want something that works with minimal fiddleshit.
ok dude googling photogrammetry theres a program called metashape? at least provide the program you use,

puget has benchmarks here

seems the software is cpu heavy, and minor on gpu

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Would 240mm aio be enough to cool the 5800x? Finally my gtx 3080 xc3 ultra has shipped. Need to assemble the rest of the parts. Was looking at the Lancool II Mesh case unless someone else has some other suggestions for a mid tower case

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
ok dude googling photogrammetry theres a program called metashape? at least provide the program you use,

puget has benchmarks here

seems the software is cpu heavy, and minor on gpu
Pix4d is what I use. Definitely relies heavily on the gpu.