Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Alright FoH forum bros (& hoes), I need recommendations for cases & motherboards!

I'm currently still using the mammoth Silverstone Ft02b, but definitely looking to down-size. I wouldn't mind a smaller build, but definitely something less than a "Full Tower" setup. Has to at least be able to hold a new 3000/6000 gpu.

For the motherboard give me the best bang for the buck (I don't mean cheap, but I don't wanna pay $500 for something I won't use to overclock like crazy) to go along with one of the new Ryzen 5000 cpu's, and the corresponding case - the Meshify cases, and the Lian Li 011-Mini or whatever look solid.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
For mobos, the one I'm thinking about, the ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus seems to be one of the best for the new AMD chips. The more expensive ones don't add as much value for your buck. I think the same is true for the Intel versions of the same mobo.

Check this timestamped video for info.

But... I could be wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Alright FoH forum bros (& hoes), I need recommendations for cases & motherboards!

I'm currently still using the mammoth Silverstone Ft02b, but definitely looking to down-size. I wouldn't mind a smaller build, but definitely something less than a "Full Tower" setup. Has to at least be able to hold a new 3000/6000 gpu.

For the motherboard give me the best bang for the buck (I don't mean cheap, but I don't wanna pay $500 for something I won't use to overclock like crazy) to go along with one of the new Ryzen 5000 cpu's, and the corresponding case - the Meshify cases, and the Lian Li 011-Mini or whatever look solid.
I have this one and have no complaints. I’m not deep into why it’s good but it has good reviews and I it linked here a lot too.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/ATX/PCIe4.0/DDR4/USB3.1/Realtek ALC1200/Front USB Type-C/RGB Fusion 2.0/M.2 Thermal Guard/Gaming Motherboard)

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have this one and have no complaints. I’m not deep into why it’s good but it has good reviews and I it linked here a lot too.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite (AMD Ryzen 3000/X570/ATX/PCIe4.0/DDR4/USB3.1/Realtek ALC1200/Front USB Type-C/RGB Fusion 2.0/M.2 Thermal Guard/Gaming Motherboard)

I have the wifi version of that board and no issues so far.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Definitely think the WiFi board is the way to go unless you don’t need it. Annoying to have to buy a WiFi card if you aren’t close to a hardwired port

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I appreciate everyone else’s hard work,
I don’t know motherboard topography from a hole in the ground, but if you tell me two sticks will give me 10-15% performance increase, well I’m on it. Returned my 4 sticks for 2 just recently based on this info. Seems like most boards benefit from 2 instead of 4 also based on the spreadsheet.
Out of interest, did you make any benchmark before and after ?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Out of interest, did you make any benchmark before and after ?
I did not, missing my GPU from my new build. I will run my own benchmark when I can can secure a card and finish this off. I'll pull my RAM from my other machine. I don't want to taint this new build (however strange that sounds) with old parts.

I do however, trust the bigger nerds and gamers nexus. They seem to do pretty thorough development.

• 1Like

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Went with the below; hopefully keeps me from worrying about grabbing a new computer for at least 4 years (?). Giving my old super computer to the kid who is leaving for the marines soon so figured he could get a few good years out of it. Is it bad to give someone a used item for xmas ? :)

[Gaming RDY L20IRG201]Windows 10 Home, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING Motherboard w/WiFi, MSI VENTUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB Video Card, 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ADATA RGB Memory, 1TB Intel M.2 NVMe SSD, iBUYPOWER RGB Liquid Cooling​

Was around 1800 with tax.

• 1Like

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been trying to land a goddamn 5900x and it's impossible with the bots. Got an EVGA Xc3 Ultra 3080 but its just collecting dust in the damn box here

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Welp, CyberPunk is coming out so went ahead and ordered even though prices not the best. They won't be coming down soon so ... whatever. Went through CyberPowerPC. I got current desktop and laptop through them and never any issues.

- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz [4.6GHz Turbo]
- AMD Radeon RX 6800 16GB GDDR6
- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS
- 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory
- 1TB Samsung 870 QVO-Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD
- Castle 120EX ARGB 120mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System
- PSU 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

Cost around $1800 with shipping, extended warranty, extra mouse, mechanical keyboard, etc. So about $1800 for the 4th best gaming CPU and GPU in the Tom's Hardware hierarchies.

CPU Benchmark Hierarchy 2020 - A Comparison of AMD and Intel Processors | Tom's Hardware

GPU Benchmarks and Hierarchy 2020 - Graphics Card Rankings and Comparisons | Tom's Hardware

BTW, they just updated the GPU chart with the Radeon 6800 cards. ^

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Not a fan of those charts; CPUs don't change in performance going from 1080p to 1440p, but GPUs do significantly.

What's the ram and PSU? Make sure the ram is in the correct slots with XMP enabled when you get it, getting bad pre-built vibes. You should get a NVME drive too, you really don't want a $1800 gaming system running off of that QVO crap. It was pointed out earlier QVO can perform worse than spinning rust in some situations.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Welp, CyberPunk is coming out so went ahead and ordered even though prices not the best. They won't be coming down soon so ... whatever. Went through CyberPowerPC. I got current desktop and laptop through them and never any issues.

- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS

Cost around $1800 with shipping, extended warranty, extra mouse, mechanical keyboard, etc. So about $1800 for the 4th best gaming CPU and GPU in the Tom's Hardware hierarchies.

CPU Benchmark Hierarchy 2020 - A Comparison of AMD and Intel Processors | Tom's Hardware

GPU Benchmarks and Hierarchy 2020 - Graphics Card Rankings and Comparisons | Tom's Hardware

View attachment 320262

Definitely snag a 1TB m.2, it makes a big difference

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not a fan of those charts; CPUs don't change in performance going from 1080p to 1440p, but GPUs do significantly.

What's the ram and PSU? Make sure the ram is in the correct slots with XMP enabled when you get it, getting bad pre-built vibes. You should get a NVME drive too, you really don't want a $1800 gaming system running off of that QVO crap. It was pointed out earlier QVO can perform worse than spinning rust in some situations.

Updated with PSU and RAM specs. 16GB but a couple more 8GB sticks are easy upgrade in a few years.

About HD - the choice was between a SSD/Regular combo drive or a pure SSD for same price. I've read that pure SSD is better for gaming. Won't be storing much else besides games on the machine.

Also, is there any consensus in here on the Tom's Hardware CPU/GPU charts? Pretty sure no chart is perfect, but afaik their charts are at least a decent price/performance guide.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

- ASUS TUF X570-PLUS
- 16GB (8GBx2) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory
- PSU 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Gold Certified Power Supply

View attachment 320262
Ryzen 5000 runs warm. A 120 AIO seems weak.

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Prebuilts often have in demand cpu/gpu held back by some really cheap components. Slow ram can really hold back a Ryzen system. Should be ~20% fps loss when cpu capped between 3600cl16 and 3000cl17. More sticks would be limited to the same speeds, consider replacing during a sale.

The tiny AIO should be enough for a 6 core in gaming, since even a stock cooler can work there, if a little loud.

Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB Review - Terrible, Do Not Buy "Steam game decryption has you in-game three minutes later than your friends with NVMe." Would be fine as a secondary storage device, just avoid putting big games in there.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Been trying to land a goddamn 5900x and it's impossible with the bots. Got an EVGA Xc3 Ultra 3080 but its just collecting dust in the damn box here
buy a cheap 3600 from amazon and then return it, you have until jan31 for the return window on all items now

i meant... use it until you find a 5900x to buy, don't like do illegal stuff like swap the actual processor, that would get you in real trouble

but you can return anything until jan31

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
repost from discord.

My sons 980ti caught on fire last night. Sadly, I do not have video. I need a replacement and much to my dismay we live in a vacuum of video cards. I cant buy a 1660, 2060 or any other last gen cards and of course all the 3000 series cards are bought by bots and put on ebay. Any thoughts? Only thing can think of is to buy a 1660 super off ebay or a used card from hardocp forums etc.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
repost from discord.

My sons 980ti caught on fire last night. Sadly, I do not have video. I need a replacement and much to my dismay we live in a vacuum of video cards. I cant buy a 1660, 2060 or any other last gen cards and of course all the 3000 series cards are bought by bots and put on ebay. Any thoughts? Only thing can think of is to buy a 1660 super off ebay or a used card from hardocp forums etc.
hardware swap reddit might have some stuff for sale.