Desktop Computers

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
DDU - then reinstall driver -
I actually figured out what caused it and what the solution is. I launched something this morning and got a popup from LG TV that it was going to run it with ultra HDR on, no option to say no, just ok. So I click ok and immediately my tv and monitor go to duplicate mode. I’m like no, wtf!

So I go into settings for picture and find the Ultra HD button on that input, turn it off and it immediately fixes it and acts normal, extended displays.

So yesterday the “I’m going into UHD mode” prompt must have happened when I was on a different input (my work computer at the time) so I had no idea what caused it to happen. Now I know...kind of. Not sure why UHD mode on my TV would cause the screens to duplicate. I guess because the TV tries to send a UHD signal to my card & small monitor which can’t handle it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm starting to see harddrive prices go back to prepandemic crazyness, so like a 12tb shuckable for 200, maybe you'll get in at 150 to 170 for black friday

also i've seen deals for nvme 1tb for 80 or so

but atm i've seen more deals for 500gb for 40ish, looks like they might be trying to get rid of that stock.

these are wd black and blues and barracudas, so not garbage, not top tier

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Windows 11 about 5% faster for AMD gaming. Load time of Windows almost twice as long though.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
jesus christ if you want to nerd out on thermal paste

they make and sell their paste and linus just tested it as good as noctua nth1

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
jesus christ if you want to nerd out on thermal paste

they make and sell their paste and linus just tested it as good as noctua nth1
Fucking why, it’s like $6 for a tube of paste that would cover 5 CPUs.

• 1Worf

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a pre-built link I can toss to a buddy, he's looking around 2k, I realize the prices of card-shortage-esq desktops. Many thanks in advance

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Xexx Xexx is the king of pre-built links.
Agreed, and a wealth of knowledge, I built my own about a year ago for the first time but I don’t even want to fuck around with a friend. Let him splurge his business account on whatever. 2-3k apparently is the budget

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Agreed, and a wealth of knowledge, I built my own about a year ago for the first time but I don’t even want to fuck around with a friend. Let him splurge his business account on whatever. 2-3k apparently is the budget
ROG prebuilts are :emoji_fire:

• 1Worf

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Anyone have a pre-built link I can toss to a buddy, he's looking around 2k, I realize the prices of card-shortage-esq desktops. Many thanks in advance
Oh it was for you.

Best value for a pre-built easily. However with new intel you may want to take a look to see what cyberpower and others are cooking up.

Also if anyone wants a 5950x and MEG ACE under retail lmk. Picked up the 12900k and and Aorus. I'll likely slowly sell everything from my water cooled rig slowly since it's too high priced to sell whole.

Also Slip is more knowledgeable since it's him I harassed for near 2 months before I did my first water setup 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
  • 1Truth!

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Oh it was for you.

Best value for a pre-built easily. However with new intel you may want to take a look to see what cyberpower and others are cooking up.

Also if anyone wants a 5950x and MEG ACE under retail lmk. Picked up the 12900k and and Aorus. I'll likely slowly sell everything from my water cooled rig slowly since it's too high priced to sell whole.

Also Slip is more knowledgeable since it's him I harassed for near 2 months before I did my first water setup 🤣🤣🤣
This is perfect, thank you.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm building a new machine for 2 main purposes:
1. Box at least 54 toons in EQ on an emulator server - it's all about CPU and RAM, old EQ could give a shit about video card
2. Tether my Quest 2 VR headset to my PC to play VR skyrim and other VR games. This will require a decent video card and that's why I propose the card below.

It's basically this parts list but I changed the mobo to Asus and I won't spend $3k on a video card... swapped it to a 3060 after reading up on a "good" but not money is no option video card. https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/cDscCJ/glorious-amd-gamingstreaming-build

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory The one thing that gives me pause on this is it's 2X16gb chips. I'll have to buy all new RAM if I want to get to 128 GB on 4 slots some day but even with the RAM hog EQ is I can't see needing more than 64 GB. Should I swap to 32 gb chips instead of these 16s?
EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB XC GAMING Video Card
SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

EK EK-AIO 240 D-RGB 66.04 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
This cooler is out of stock, any suggestions on a good alternative?

Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case
I want a different case. I want one with a handle so it's easier to carry around - like a center handle on the top of the case. I'm cool with a BIG tower case too. I want lots of space, lots of airflow but I don't need extra space just for extra space. Suggestions appreciated.

I'm gonna put windows 10 on it.
I have a 1 TB samsung SSD extra laying around to put a fresh install on it for the new machine. Is NVME worth it? I went through a rash of hard drive crashes with Western Digital Raptor drives back in the day so if the risk factor with NVME is that much higher than a regular SSD please direct me away from them.

What yall think?

• 1WTF

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
For boxing EQ stuff you really just want as many cores as possible, I would consider a 5950x (or I guess even something like Threadripper if money isn't a concern). Ideally you want a core per toon. I'm assuming you aren't actually boxing 54 toons, but it's a thing to consider.

I don't know too much about VR to know how big of a difference a 3060 is to something higher end, but I'd imagine it's worth researching.