<Prior Amod>
Talk me out of doing this build

in this case

my tower 500 wobbles and flexes like a swaying building

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

in this case

Pretty much the same build I'm eyeballing but I was going to reuse my old case.

Jovec

?
i'm guessing raid 1 main drive, don't wanna lose work docs
Better to just use the 2nd drive as a backup drive - that way there will be some version history and protection against user error. One could have a 10 drive mirror and deleting a file accidentally still means the file is gone on all 10 drives.

Wife's build is in a Tower 100 and the GPU is starved for air. That 50% glass, 50% perforated side panel just doesn't work as the majority of the GPU (3070) sits in front of the glass side. I know the 200 is supposed to fix this (and I was thinking of swapping that system to a 200 just because). I suppose you could place some 15/25mm 120s on either the inside of the side panel if there is room or on the outside if extra airflow was needed.

T100-5700x-3070.jpg

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Why 2 4TB drives?
Why not?

Edit: Eh, that was based on prime day price and I didn't actually order anything yet (can't decide if I'm going to). It was $180 for 4tb which was pretty inline with 2tb pricing. Now it's 90 for 2tb and 230 for 4tb, so I'd probably just suck it up and go 2 2tb drives, which honestly is plenty anyways. Might even raid 0 them for lols. At some point I want to build a NAS/server, just not something I've ever actually done. It's on my list of shit to play around with someday, though I don't have any particular use cases.
Better to just use the 2nd drive as a backup drive - that way there will be some version history and protection against user error. One could have a 10 drive mirror and deleting a file accidentally still means the file is gone on all 10 drives.

Wife's build is in a Tower 100 and the GPU is starved for air. That 50% glass, 50% perforated side panel just doesn't work as the majority of the GPU (3070) sits in front of the glass side. I know the 200 is supposed to fix this (and I was thinking of swapping that system to a 200 just because). I suppose you could place some 15/25mm 120s on either the inside of the side panel if there is room or on the outside if extra airflow was needed.

Yeah the 200 is all mesh except the front panel. The couple build videos I watched people's temps seemed completely fine.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Might as well just get a Strix 4090 if you're going to spend that much. Your MOBO choice also has just one Gen 5 M.2 Slot. Thats fine, but why wouldnt you spend the money to get a Gen 5 NVME if you're going to spend that much on the rest of the PC? The NVME's you selected are slow as piss.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist

in this case

That memory speed is a bit risky still I think. I don't know how much the recently improved BIOS for memory speeds has changed things though. Do you need 64gb?

I'd recommend this CL30 6000 32gb kit https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CX...dr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3038f16gx2-tz5nr

I have that motherboard, it's fine. The only reason I got it originally was because it had a temperature sensor header that I needed for my loop. If you don't need that, you can save some money and get the Asrock or the Gigabyte boards instead.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Might as well just get a Strix 4090 if you're going to spend that much. Your MOBO choice also has just one Gen 5 M.2 Slot. Thats fine, but why wouldnt you spend the money to get a Gen 5 NVME if you're going to spend that much on the rest of the PC? The NVME's you selected are slow as piss.
Gen 5 are "fast" for about 60 seconds and then they dramatically slow down. And that "fast" isn't even really much quicker than a Gen 4. They also get really hot, and that board doesn't have a fan on the heatsink for the nVME.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gen 5 are "fast" for about 60 seconds and then they dramatically slow down. And that "fast" isn't even really much quicker than a Gen 4. They also get really hot, and that board doesn't have a fan on the heatsink for the nVME.
Maybe you know more about all this than I do. But I have one and Im using it without all that garbage. You're highlighting prolonged output, which almost all of them have a problem with - not just gen 5, when it comes to speed. More specifically, I need a loading screen to go fast so I can get back in the game. Im not routinely copying 100's of gigs from one location to the next.

As for cooling, I have a T700 in my main Gen 5 slot - sitting right next to it is a 13900 and a strix 4090 - it doesnt over heat. Im sure it CAN get hot enough without some additional cooling of prolonged, heavy, loads - but Im not doing that (and your average person isnt either). My 990 I moved to my closest Gen 4 slot and the old 980 I had from my previous computer is sitting right behind that. I can visibly tell the difference between a game loading on one of the Samsungs vs the T700. All Im saying is if he's going to go all out - then he needs to go all out. The crucials he listed in particular are slow as fuck.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That memory speed is a bit risky still I think. I don't know how much the recently improved BIOS for memory speeds has changed things though. Do you need 64gb?

I'd recommend this CL30 6000 32gb kit https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CX...dr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3038f16gx2-tz5nr

I have that motherboard, it's fine. The only reason I got it originally was because it had a temperature sensor header that I needed for my loop. If you don't need that, you can save some money and get the Asrock or the Gigabyte boards instead.
This is fair, and something I've considered. I think you're correct in that 6000 is still the default supported, and I might go down to that. Also the few videos I've seen even when stable don't show a ton of benefit above that.

I don't really need 64, but the timings aren't that much tighter on 32.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
All the reading and information I've seen says basically all the 4090's are virtually identical in performance

Changed the RAM and storage

1697141073422.png

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
you gonna buy extra top and back fans?
Yeah, I'll fill with fans. Unsure what though. I'll either just replace the fans on the AIO and do all black Noctua's (might need to use slim on the bottom, have to judge clearance after aio in), or I'll use the stupid RGB and get all one kind because software

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, I'll fill with fans. Unsure what though. I'll either just replace the fans on the AIO and do all black Noctua's (might need to use slim on the bottom, have to judge clearance after aio in), or I'll use the stupid RGB and get all one kind because software
yea don't use the included tt fans, they make "thooooot" sound, or maybe it was my fans, but went away when i replaced w/ all bequiet

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So with the Amazon sale I've been waiting for, the 5600x is not on sale, but the 5700x is. I looked at the specs, and frankly I'm not impressed with the 5700x. Am I missing something?

Jovec

?
So with the Amazon sale I've been waiting for, the 5600x is not on sale, but the 5700x is. I looked at the specs, and frankly I'm not impressed with the 5700x. Am I missing something?
It's a low TDP (65w) CPU. Single core will be on par with the 5600x/5800x but the 65W limit will mean lower all core clocks under full load. It will still beat the 5600x at multi-core though just because of the two extra cores. The 65w limit is a hard CPU limit and cannot (AFAIK) be overridden.