Get on it Brahma Brahma

thats-mine-adrian-harding.gif

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

XPG 2TB GAMMIX S70 Blade - $104 -​

last i ran crystaldisk myself it outperformed the Samsung

Though i cant say much as i have 7TB of SN850X
I will never buy these shitty brands anymore. I've got 3 different drives in my PC right now where I can't update their firmware because these companies suck ass at software.

It's not worth saving the 10 bucks.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Okay time to build a new computer. Quick questions

Still AMD over Intel? and Ryzen 9 if AMD?
Which MOBO companies are the best to buy from these days?
EVGA still the go to for GPU?
Are there any issues with reusing my Corsair liquid CPU cooler? I currently have a first gen Ryzen 7 CPU
Biggest one, I've had shit luck with onboard sound, I want another option. Card or USB?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Okay time to build a new computer. Quick questions

Still AMD over Intel? and Ryzen 9 if AMD?
Which MOBO companies are the best to buy from these days?
EVGA still the go to for GPU?
Are there any issues with reusing my Corsair liquid CPU cooler? I currently have a first gen Ryzen 7 CPU
Biggest one, I've had shit luck with onboard sound, I want another option. Card or USB?
Lmao bro it's all backwards now

Amd is ok Intel is still the value buy in many price ranges which is the opposite of historic place (expensive shit is and v3d procs, threadrippers (again), and dumb 900 series Intel if you must)
I still use Asus, people love/hate every company but it's really a value proposition because mainboard prices are insane right now. Gigabyte seems fine too.
EVGA doesn't make GPUs anymore
You should generally retire sealed AIO coolers as they slowly allow coolant to permeate over time. I think like 5-6 yr lifespan.
You can spend as much as you want, I recently dropped my USB DAC because the most recent higher end Realtek chips are basically just as good if you spend the extra 50 on a mobo for other reasons. IMO, not worth worrying just get the nicer board with alc1220 or better equiv OR go full hog with tube amp and DAC.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
first gen ryzen 7 was when trump got elected, that also means youre gonna get a gen4/5 nvme and at least 32gbs of ram, oh and a more modern case, airflow has really advanced.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I will never buy these shitty brands anymore. I've got 3 different drives in my PC right now where I can't update their firmware because these companies suck ass at software.

It's not worth saving the 10 bucks.

Nothing wrong with XPG at all XPG is not a shitty brand either - XPG drive on a 1:1 scale(same gen/spec) generally beat samsung like a step child - I have never had an XPG drive failed but ive had 4 Samsung drives fail within a year. I believe i uploaded my benchmarks for Samsung/XPG/WD a couple years back as well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Nothing wrong with XPG at all XPG is not a shitty brand either - XPG drive on a 1:1 scale(same gen/spec) generally beat samsung like a step child - I have never had an XPG drive failed but ive had 4 Samsung drives fail within a year. I believe i uploaded my benchmarks for Samsung/XPG/WD a couple years back as well.
Out of 3 XPG drives I've bought, 2 have been DOA. The one I have won't take a firmware update. The firmware updater for my 2 Sabrent drives doesn't work because that company is fucked too.

I could hack a bunch of bullshit to make it work, but I'd rather just have something out of the box that updates properly.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Cray - to me Samsung is shit, then again i hate Asus also - fuck them. The only thing i have of Samsung is the Fold 5 and that may be replaced by the OnePlus Open

Jovec

?
Solidigm is my new NVMe drive company. I've soured on Samsung, though I am still running a bunch of 970/980/990 drives. I've been moving to Solidgm P44 Pros as I make changes/upgrades.

gak

<Gold Donor>
tr.jpg

ASUS Unleashes The Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI Motherboard: 36 Phase VRM, Threadripper 7000 OC & 1 TB DDR5 Support

ASUS has unleashed its flagship Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI motherboard which features an insane 36-phase VRM for AMD Threadripper 7000 CPUs.

Offering support for AMD's recently announced Ryzen Threadripper 7000 & Threadripper PRO 7000 CPUs, the ASUS WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI is a monstrous motherboard with tons of features to talk about.

Starting off with the specifications, we have the CEB form factor which features the AMD SP6 (LGA 4844) socket.

This socket is powered by 36 power stages which are juiced up by dual 8-pin plugs & are cooled by a large VRM cooling solution that features several aluminum fins and a large heat-pipe array. The socket is surrounded by four DDR5 DIMM slots which support up to 1 TB of ECC R-DIMM (1DPC) memory.

AMD SP6 socket supports up to 96-core CPUs:
Ready for AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 7000 Series Processors and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series Processors.

CPU and memory overclocking:
Support for up to 1TB ECC R-DIMM DDR5 memory modules (1DPC)

Robust power and thermal design:
36 power stages with two 8-pin power connectors for the CPU, massive VRM cooling, chipset M.2 heatsinks, and M.2 thermal pad.

Ultrafast connectivity:
three PCIe® 5.0 x16 slots, 10 Gb & 2.5 Gb LAN ports, three M.2 slots, front and rear USB 20Gbps Type-C® and SlimSAS NVMe support.

Server-grade IPMI remote management:
hardware and software support for ASUS IPMI expansion cards, plus ASUS Control Center Express software for real-time monitoring and management

Trusted stability:
Validated for extensive compatibility with the latest technologies, an expansive QVL list, and tested for 24/7 operation

Other features of the ASUS Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI motherboard include full overclocking for the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 CPUs and also the memory modules.

Connectivity is also strong and the motherboard gets five PCIe 5.0 x16 slots, & three M.2 Gen 5.0 x4 slots & rich I/O such as 10GbE and 2.5 GbE LAN Ports.

You will also find front and rear USB Type-C 20 Gbps ports along with Slim-NAS connectors.

To power the large amount of PCIe lanes, the motherboard comes with two more power plugs, an 8-pin and a 6-pin next to the four SATA III ports. Overall, this motherboard is just insane and the pricing should reflect that.

amd.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
How long before there are two power supplies for a typical desktop and you need cords long enough to run them to separate breakers?

• 1Triggered

Jovec

?
How long before there are two power supplies for a typical desktop and you need cords long enough to run them to separate breakers?

Extremely unlikely. Modern desktops are actually very power efficient. The issue is that Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are running everything at max power trying for that extra +100 MHz, and that is inefficient. And even that only comes up in benchmarks and full CPU/GPU situations. Gaming on a 7800X3D is only 60-70 watts for the CPU. I can cap my 7950X at 105w and it beats my uncapped 200w+ 5950X at ST and MT. You can undervolt a wide core GPU like a 4080/90 and 7900XT(X) and those will only pull 200-300 watts running modern games while getting about 90% of max performance.

I'd still want to upgrade to that Threadripper board/system though. Consumer platforms are still too limited on PCIe lanes (by design).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Extremely unlikely. Modern desktops are actually very power efficient. The issue is that Intel, AMD, and Nvidia are running everything at max power trying for that extra +100 MHz, and that is inefficient. And even that only comes up in benchmarks and full CPU/GPU situations. Gaming on a 7800X3D is only 60-70 watts for the CPU. I can cap my 7950X at 105w and it beats my uncapped 200w+ 5950X at ST and MT. You can undervolt a wide core GPU like a 4080/90 and 7900XT(X) and those will only pull 200-300 watts running modern games while getting about 90% of max performance.

I'd still want to upgrade to that Threadripper board/system though. Consumer platforms are still too limited on PCIe lanes (by design).
s008j9ibbfpx.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Alright let me know if you folks see anything stupid/incompatible in this build (or bad product brands). Already have a case I like and will be re-using. Plan on formatting and re-using my nVME SSDs.

This is meant to be a mid tier (but higher end of mid tier) build. I don't need the cutting edge current gen tech these days.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What resolution do you want to game at? That 8GB of VRAM might be limiting.

I don't plan on pushing 4k, but just the shitty choice of a power hungry AMD GPU or a low VRAM nvidia GPU has made me hesitant to upgrade.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Alright let me know if you folks see anything stupid/incompatible in this build (or bad product brands). Already have a case I like and will be re-using. Plan on formatting and re-using my nVME SSDs.

This is meant to be a mid tier (but higher end of mid tier) build. I don't need the cutting edge current gen tech these days.

Trident Neo is Expo which is AMD. You want the one with XMP for Intel.

Graphics card is eh only bad choices but agree 4060 anything doesn't really inspire me though I know prices are not favorable to jump up.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also, double check reviews on coolers. A lot of them are still such old stock without the bracket for the LGA 1700s in the box. If you don't care and can wait 2 weeks for them to ship it to you probably fine but just an FYI.

Khane

Thanks, they don't seem to delineate like that at all on Memory on PC part picker so I wasnt sure if there was even a difference anymore