Desktop Computers

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
case panels w/ screws, what an invention...

03bmOl8eBV4DmWgft4j5kbQ-24.fit_lim.size_1050x.jpg

for 30years... really, the best way to enclose a pc case was to have a u shaped piece of heavy steel, not sheet metal, but it was made that way so you can stack your 200lb monitor on top of it
My MAG 19" CRT weighed like 50 pounds, so yeah.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Jesus Christ, look at this death trap. I love how they "rounded" the edges, which just made it sharp, but not pointy.

bullshit case.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Jesus Christ, look at this death trap. I love how they "rounded" the edges, which just made it sharp, but not pointy.

View attachment 517077
oh yea, do you guys remember those oval case holes? it's cuz you can never get the u metal case to line up, so they made that variance so you can screw in the case.

yea in high school i volunteered for the "geek squad", it's basically like a computer club that the science dept head decided we can also get credit for it. a lot of it involved making sure computers just worked, there was like literally hundreds of these

i learned a bit from here as basically free reign computing, like static electricity is real, lulz. i had a computer open and it got hot so i pulled my fleece off and then touched the computer,

bzzzzt

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
My MAG 19" CRT weighed like 50 pounds, so yeah.
I had a Sony 21" trinitron that weighed about as much as my dad's 4-door impala.

FYI gang, Keyworlds.com Windows licenses' work well and are far cheaper than Amazon/Newegg/MS Store. I got a Win-11 Pro license for $15.13

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FYI gang, Keyworlds.com Windows licenses' work well and are far cheaper than Amazon/Newegg/MS Store. I got a Win-11 Pro license for $15.13
Because those are extremely shady volume license keys.

• 1Moron
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I had a Sony 21" trinitron that weighed about as much as my dad's 4-door impala.

Yeah my high school monitor was a 17” Viewsonic. Can’t find the model now but it looked similar to the PF775, but that was released in 2000 spa free years too late and mine wasn’t “perfect flat,” hence PF. Still, that one was listed at 48.6 lbs and I would put it in the passenger seat of my 1986 Mazda Rx-7 and carry it to friend’s houses for LANs. All 135lbs of me toting up their driveway. Amazing I never broke it. Knew my dad would whip the shit outta me.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Had a 21" NEC Multisync monitor and it weighed a shitload, especially since my office at the house was upstairs. It lasted a long time though. I'm sure around 1990 it was probably between $700 and $1,000 or so.

They should make TVs like that again as well, wouldn't be anyone running out with a giant screen under their arm.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had a 21" NEC Multisync monitor and it weighed a shitload, especially since my office at the house was upstairs. It lasted a long time though. I'm sure around 1990 it was probably between $700 and $1,000 or so.

They should make TVs like that again as well, wouldn't be anyone running out with a giant screen under their arm.
yea i think past 17in, every inch was an exponental increase in price and weight (cuz the tube had to get longer)

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
This new PC I'm building came with a GPU anti-swag bar. Bottom fans are in the way of the stand so best I could do is get it on the corner of the GPU closest to the motherboard. Will that be enough support or should I look into on of those bars that fit under the GPU similar to this:

Screenshot 2024-03-07 185012.jpg

I have a Powercolor red devil 7900 XTX and the cooler on it is huge.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This new PC I'm building came with a GPU anti-swag bar. Bottom fans are in the way of the stand so best I could do is get it on the corner of the GPU closest to the motherboard. Will that be enough support or should I look into on of those bars that fit under the GPU similar to this:

View attachment 518612

I have a Powercolor red devil 7900 XTX and the cooler on it is huge.

I just have a little adjustable stand that supports the free corner of my GPU. They can be had for $5-10 on Amazon. This is the one I'm using

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is that USB wifi inside the case? Stock cooler. Card still sagging. Hope that isn't yours, lanx.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user