Desktop Computers

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I stayed on Win7 as long as I could and will do the same for Win10. 8 and 11 can suck it.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?
Linux is viable for the majority of home/desktop use cases. I suspect in 10 years it might be the only option for an "unlocked' home computer OS.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I’m planning on getting a new computer soon and just saying fuck it and going prebuilt but that means probably being stuck with Win11. Is it possible to roll it back to 10 somehow afterwards?
If you are going with a prebuilt and rollback route, check that the rollback doesn't void the manufacturer warranty. It's VERY FUCKY/SHADY but the big companies were pulling that bullshit during Win7/8. Guy wanted me to rollback all his HP laptops so I did what I usually do and check for any OEM drivers that may be a problem and ran into that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anybody built in a Thermaltake Tower 300 yet?
i built in a tower 500, i wanted a vertical mounted vid card, i wanted a huge case...

it's ok

it just feels "cheap"... like floppy metal

my bequiet 802 feels way more solid, even my more budget nzxt feels more solid.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
i built in a tower 500, i wanted a vertical mounted vid card, i wanted a huge case...

it's ok

it just feels "cheap"... like floppy metal

my bequiet 802 feels way more solid, even my more budget nzxt feels more solid.
Damn, I really like my V21 Cube but I want a more modern MATX case that is still reasonable to put on my desk.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I have a Tower 200 and I really liked it, and it was honestly easy to build in.
I've looked at the 200 and like it as well, but have always been an MATX fan. I don't know if ITX is my style. I do like smaller cases though, so maybe I just do the damn 200.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I kicked off the X3D discussion and forgot to report back. I picked up a 4070 super to get my vram up to 12gb and replaced the 3700x with a 5800X3D. I would have rather had 16gb but all the problems I was having went away, so I’m pleased with it. If I was looking at a full upgrade instead of just trying to fix some issues with a few games I would’ve went with an even better card. Its running great though so no complaints.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I kicked off the X3D discussion and forgot to report back. I picked up a 4070 super to get my vram up to 12gb and replaced the 3700x with a 5800X3D. I would have rather had 16gb but all the problems I was having went away, so I’m pleased with it. If I was looking at a full upgrade instead of just trying to fix some issues with a few games I would’ve went with an even better card. Its running great though so no complaints.
x3d really feels like it cranks

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Even going from Zen 2 to a Zen 3 X3D was a massive uplift for me. Granted, FF14 is cache-hungry and one of the "best case" games for the X3Ds, but subjectively the OS/system latency also feels a lot lower.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Awaiting more deets on upcoming cpus and gpus. Kinda worried how the price of a 5090 may be. However at the same time i hope they keep the design look of the FEs. I think id just like a bit more black on it.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Awaiting more deets on upcoming cpus and gpus. Kinda worried how the price of a 5090 may be. However at the same time i hope they keep the design look of the FEs. I think id just like a bit more black on it.
Well this time , In addition to making you get an entirely new power connection and likely a new PSU, they are teaming up with GM financial for easy financing terms. Just a small 15%.

Xerge

<Donor>
Quite a few games are waiting on the 5x series if that sways you any

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Alright, I got my damn bonus from work and I want to pull the trigger on a new PC and put the potato to rest. I can put together my own, but I really, really just don't enjoy it and if I do, I'm historically going to skimp entirely on shit like fans (which, who knows, maybe contributed to me feeling like my current build is performing worse than I think it should at this point?), etc.

Was looking at some Starforge pre-builts and was trying to decide between the Horizon II Pro and the Navigator (skipped the build between these because I really just don't like the AMD Adrenalin shit). Out of curiosity, I asked their customer care for a recommendation with the shit I play and monitors I'm running, etc. They pointed me towards the Navigator Pro, and I imagine in general they're going to aim you towards more expensive stuff. While having a Super card would probably make me feel like King Shit, I kinda feel like that's a bit overkill for my gaming habits and is also more than I'd like to spend (was planning on just using bonus money, which was $1400, but I don't mind tossing a few more hundred if it means some amount of future-proofing.

I'm running a Dell U2412M and an Asus VE248H for my monitors, which means I'm still running 1920x1200 on my main. I don't plan on replacing these things until they die, but given that the Dell was bought in 2012, maybe that's going to be sooner than I'd like. If I do replace, I'll probably get something that can do 1440 but I'm not sure I'd bother running 4k anything yet. Main shit I'm going to be playing is just FF14 (which is having a mild graphics upgrade soon) and probably going back to finish Elden Ring with a framerate that isn't aids. I would like 5 years from now to not be struggling to run whatever new fangled version of a Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, Elder Scrolls game, etc. comes out on low settings (still a bit salty that my current rig could not handle Hogwarts Legacy on low without major issues).

Does that Horizon II Pro have the longevity I'm looking for or is at least something I can reasonably probably just pop a couple upgrades into a little over time if needed? Would the Navigator be the better option there and enough that I can maybe set some graphics presets to ultra for once? Is the Navigator Pro worth going significantly over my original budget or is that too much unnecessary juice for what I'm up to?

Kiki

Log Wizard
I would definitely skip the horizon and get the navigator or the pro. If you can do the extra $200 I would, but that's me, I like the processor, you can always upgrade the vid card in 3 years. Neither one will be immediate garbage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?
I would get the Navigator (not the Nav Pro). The Navigator is AM5 and will have a CPU upgrade path. The mobo is fairly decent in terms of features and power delivery and will support a 7800X3D, 7950X, and (presumably) the upcoming Zen 6 CPUs.

The Nav Pro has the 4070 Super, which is better, but not $200 better. The CPU/mobo platform is effectively dead, with your only options being to scale up the CPU within the same generation (meaning a 13900k or 14900k assuming the mobo/bios/vrms can handle it).

For gaming, both will be fine and hard to distinguish between the two if you are not benchmarking them, but the Nav Pro system will bench a few percent better due to the 4070S. In pure CPU apples-to-apples, the Nav 7600X cpu should be a bit better than the 13600KF for gaming, but the 13600KF will do better in full core workloads.

Both systems could use better RAM and probably better NVMe drives (might be Gen 3 and/or a DRAM-less controller).

I know you don't want to build, but you could build a better core system with the same level 4070S for around $2k. Here's an air-cooled, no RGB option.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users