Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So... Do you still recommend getting it? How is it out if the box? I know nothing about color calibrating a monitor, is it something a novice can do?
Out of the box it was horrible. Washed out colors, no contrast, horrible black levels. The controls on the monitor are horrible. Almost put it back in the box to send back. Then I got it looking*great*in Nvidia control panel with their calibration sliders, because it allows you to change the gamma channels for each color individually. Was very happy for a few hours, then realized Nivida's settings don't apply when running games in full-screen exclusive mode.

So I had to use the monitor controls and set Nvidia cpanel back to default. I looked around the internet for a guide but there is only information for the T model, not the TE model, because the TE is still very new. I put it in Standard mode instead of using the presets, set contrast and brightness to 50, and adjusted the gamma and color temps from there, in proportional ratios to the numbers I got from doing it in Nvidia control panel. Eventually got it working to the point where you just have to adjust the gamma levels ingame slightly for full screen games.

I do have a tendency to like my monitors a little blue-er than most people, but not to any extreme degree.

The monitor is capable of 144 hz but it's recommended that you use the 120 hz mode.

I would recommend the monitor if you play a lot of FPS games, and your rig is capable of playing these games at 90+ average FPS at the detail levels of your choosing. There is 0 ghosting of any kind. There is 0 flicker, it's almost like looking at a sheet of paper with moving images on it. It's the first LCD panel I've ever owned that I don't mind reading books on, just have to knock the contrast down by 5 or 10.

PS: You have to sit up straight to play video games on this thing, no slouching. The gamma levels change dramatically based on vertical viewing angles.

Gamma calibration - Lagom LCD test

If you buy this monitor, this page is going to be your best friend.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
im going from scratch this current rig is at least 4 years old, im more worried a friend told me that 700-750watt psu wont be enough to run the video card and power everything else, im kinda saving 100-150 there on a new psu, and i dont wanna skimp on anything else cause i like where its at really.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
700 is more than enough for what you have listed but you have a 4 year old PSU and depending on the brand you might want to consider replacing it with a newer model from a reputable manufacturer like seasonic or corsair.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
ah ok, theres no way to really test it and see if its putting out less power now after wear and tear? i paid alot for it when i got it, was a top brand ill have to pull it out and see.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Just build the computer and stress test it with the old PSU. If it occasionally crashes or exhibits instability, yank the PSU out and get a new one. I've got a pretty old Q9550 and a 680, and it never goes past 450 watts even when stress testing, so you should have plenty of head room unless you are doing some fairly intensive overclocking and overvolting.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Don't skimp on your video card for case size.

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.- SG10

Fractal Design

I've thought about a mini case but then I ask myself what's the point. It's still going to take up almost the same foot print just be not as tall and less versatile. The only reason would be for aesthetics and I don't mind my mid-tower near my desk.
Hmm, that SilverStone case is awesome. I'm afraid to see a price tag though. (I'll find it, just saying I can imagine it being fairly expensive.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
FYI if you live near a Microcenter they have a killer deal on i7-4770k's for $200 and you can bundle them with a good motherboard for $350-375~ after tax (in my state at least) right now:Intel Processor Motherboard Bundles | Micro Center

These processors alone cost $340/$300/$300/$340 at NewEgg/Amazon/TigerDirect/Frys respectively right now.
this deal is so good, i was going to take the 2 hour drive but they are sold out over at the boston one.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah thats how I got my two newest systems built, Microcenter. The thing about Microcenter, is that they have in store deals that they dont advertize on the net or in their flyers. So you end up saving on some other shit while you are there as well. for instance I got a 128gb SSD for $89, a CM 212 Evo for $25 and a HAF 912 case for $45.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
ZOTAC ZT-70401-10P GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card is $199 today no rebate, from newegg, cant decide to grab it or wait for bf/cm anyone know anything about this card or have advice?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I really gotta bribe one of you someday to get me a cpu + mb bundle and ship it half way across the world. I'm looking at ~450$ for a i7-4770k and 200$ for the Asrock Z87 motherboard around here.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
From where i am it would be about $80 to ship something like that to romania, how much wouod you save?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
so i tried posting on reddit for some last minute advice but nada, here is my parts list what do you guys think? was trying to stay under 1200 could go over a bit for a big performance gain somewhere, i kinda want to future proof it so maybe some advice on that would be great, as the only game i really wanna play is BF4 that is graphic intense so in a few years id still wanna be able to play shit that comes out.

Intel Core i5-4670K, EVGA GeForce GTX 780, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

that case has a 30$ rebate, wonder if something better will popup on cyber monday, i wonder if im getting ahead of myself and i should wait till then to piece it together and buy? not sure how it works.

man reddit has tons of good advice, except none of those faggots reply to my thread!

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
You've pretty much hit the peak here with that price range. Don't think you can do much more outside of a better graphics card (780ti $200+more) but even then at 1080p gaming wont mean much. Not sure what you run. You can OC that cpu, SLI in another vid card later on down the line for future proof. Just make sure your psu has enough wattage.

I am building a slightly lower end system for around 850-900. Bought the case, psu, i5 cpu like yours and 8gb memory. Waiting on other deals to crop up on the rest. I am going with AMD R280x this time around, supposedly this AMD Mantle thing is supposed to be good (bf4 support in december)

My build:
Intel Core i5-4670K, Asus Radeon R9 280X, Thermaltake Level 10 GTS Snow Edition (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Bought the cpu, case, memory and psu at newegg when deals went up all for $399. Saved $65 so far. With another $30 rebate and $10 newegg card coming in.

Disp_sl

shitlord
What sort of monitor are you using? That video card seems a little overkill unless you're using multiple monitors. I'm running BF4 on 2560X1440 with everything maxed using an ATI 7950 (about $300 less than the card you're checking out), and using a 600 watt PSU. I'm getting 30+ FPS with that setup.