Desktop Computers

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
i5 is more value for the money, I think they are about the same but i7 has hyper threading which isn't useful for games. I would recommend against buying the reference r290x as it has heat/cooling issues. If you are willing to wait get the 3rd party cards when they come out with better cooling.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you do other shit like video editing and encoding then yeah, the i7 is better, but for sheer gaming? No.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Going to Microcenter Friday. Any of these good deals? I know very little about motherboards these days...

JQgfjNa.png
+1 for the extreme 4 i love mine

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks guys. That is the one I was leaning towards. Should be able to get a decent video card and still stay under $500.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I've had a 3570k + the ASRock Extreme 4 montherboard for exactly 1 year now, built it last black friday(combo of the 2 was $229 at Microcenter a year ago) and both are holding up great. Have had the processor overclocked to 4.6ghz this entire time, and everything still runs like a champ. Never crashes, stable as can be. I've probably rebooted less than 10 times in the past year.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really wish there was a microcenter near me. At this point just have to look for a GPU the next few days, then sometime next year pick up a new mobo + cpu.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Unfortunately I didn't get one of the golden Haswell chips. I can only keep my 4770k at 4.3 or 4.4 and keep it under 80C at full load which seems to be very common. I'll get some pics up tomorrow when I have a camera that doesn't suck balls (my phone refuses to take a good picture showing off the build. Gotta say definitely giving the Corsair Air 540 an A+ in my book. By far the best case I've ever worked with. If you're like me and just have a couple drives, this case fucking rocks. The air flow in it is fantastical, it is extremely easy to work with if you're surgically retarded like I am. Lots of room to play around in the case and the cable management... holy shit is it easy to work with cables and make the air flow nice in this case. Also gotta give a thumbs up to this ASUS Z87 Pro. Solid mobo so far.

I have BF4 downloading right now. I can't wait to test the GPU and then OC it some.
smile.png

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've had a 3570k + the ASRock Extreme 4 montherboard for exactly 1 year now, built it last black friday(combo of the 2 was $229 at Microcenter a year ago) and both are holding up great. Have had the processor overclocked to 4.6ghz this entire time, and everything still runs like a champ. Never crashes, stable as can be. I've probably rebooted less than 10 times in the past year.
I have the same setup, but i havn't gotten it up over 4.2 not due to issues just havt tried. What cpu cooler are you using I have an evo212 on mine and with the new gpu comming am looking to get it up to 4.6 while gaming.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have the same setup, but i havn't gotten it up over 4.2 not due to issues just havt tried. What cpu cooler are you using I have an evo212 on mine and with the new gpu comming am looking to get it up to 4.6 while gaming.
I'm using a retail water cooler, the Corsair H100i. I can actually run it at 4.8 with no problems while gaming or under normal use, but stress tests do crash it at 4.8, so I dialed it back to 4.6.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So I think, if there's some good deals tomorrow (Black Friday has only recently become a "thing" in Canada), I'll be picking up a new CPU, mobo, memory and maybe SSD. CPU I've decided on a 4670K, as that seems like the sweet spot. Probably won't bother trying to OC much, but whatever the K costs me $20 by the looks of it. And I'll probably get a Samsung EVO SSD, not sure on the size yet, probably just a 250gb. I'm having a bit more trouble deciding on the mobo and RAM though, because there's so many options out there.

Like for Asus motherboards, what the shit is the difference between a Z87 Expert, Gryphon, and Deluxe? It seems ridiculous to me that Asus must have 10+ Z87 motherboards. Why the fuck does the lineup need to be so huge? Is there much difference between the Realtek ALC892 and ALC1150?

Memory wise, do I just get the cheapest 1600mhz DDR3 memory with decent latency? Is there much else to look for these days?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
edit - nevermind, I was looking at the "mini" deluxe

Shit theres a lot of Asus Z87 boards, at least 10+ at Newegg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Get the Asus Z87 Pro. It's got Intel lan and a bunch of other good features. Mine is very solid. It's worth the extra money over the expert or whatever. The gryphon is nice if you want a mini ATX board I guess. The maximus hero is pretty good too.