Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Almost bought the 7870 for $150(After rebate) but heard too much about bad cooling on XFX cards and where I live , in the summer, it can get 75-80 in the house(That's paying 400ish a moth in power bills for the AC to keep it that cool).
You really aren't going to run into any heat problems with a 7870 unless you do some significant overclocking. They aren't unusually hot, even on stock/reference cooling.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I have had an XFX 7870 with double dissipation for over a year now and it has been completely fine.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dude is your house huge. It gets pretty hot here 110+ alot in the summer and we rarely pay over 250 to keep it 77 and run the pool stuff.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Video cards are crap, but with monitors and everything else the price isn't too bad.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The guy also did a horse shit cabling job.

8EPfNWu.jpg

Fortunately for you, I've alreadyprofessionallyinstalled all of the components, OS, drivers, andmanaged the computer wires.
He means he professional managed to fuck them up. Also it looks like he is using a stock cooler. I would highly recommend a 3rd party cooler (Hyper 212 EVO or Noctua NH-D14) even if you aren't going to OC it - Haswell typically runs pretty hot and it is hit or miss if you get a good chip or not.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That tower looks cramped and rather on the small side. Still could have done a better job cabling but it's not exactly roomy to begin with.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Intel Core i5-4670K, PowerColor Radeon R9 290, Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - System Build - PCPartPicker

I originally posted a build, jeydax the man modified it, wondering what you guys think? Any suggestions or observations?

Also, this will be only my second build, and I do NOT want my insides looking like the above picture lmfao. Any tips when building this beast?

And uh... do I HAVE to buy a legit version of Windows 8? I've never owned a licensed OS...
Not sure about os i was able to get 8 for $15 when it came out. Maybe see a if there are any student deals out there.

I don't know much about the 290 but i would go to a 650 psu for future proofing but that is just me and stick with modular or at least semi modular if you want a clean case. There are alot of good psu deals around this time of year if you troll slickdeals.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
As a quick update to my post above it looks like you will need a min 750w for the 290.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
hooked up my latest korean 27" 1440p, came in 3 days still blown away by how they are faster than amazon even. overclocked to 90hz right now with zero dead pixels and no light bleeding that I can tell, if its stable at 90hz I'll try 120hz in a day or two. So if anyone is thinking about doing it, I say go for it for $320 its a steal
Perfect Pixel 27 Slim Qnix QX2710 Evolution II LED PLS 2560x1440 QHD Monitor | eBay

only bad things: the stand SUCKS, its literally the cheapest piece of shit you can possibly imagine and was a bit scratched up (the panel was fine). I will probably order another same monitor and buy a real dual monitor stand, it has VESA slots on the back so its no problem hooking it up. I'll probably buy something like this
Amazon.com: Dual Monitor Stand holds monitors up to 27 widescreen. Uses standard Vesa mount. Clamps to Desk.: Office Products
Damn, that Qnix is up to $429 now, looks like it jumped a hundred bucks in the last few days.

Anyone see anything inherently wrong with this:
New Qnix QX2710 LED Evolution ? 2 27 2560x1440 WQHD Samsung PLS Monitor | eBay

spronk

FPS noob
Damn, that Qnix is up to $429 now, looks like it jumped a hundred bucks in the last few days.

Anyone see anything inherently wrong with this:
New Qnix QX2710 LED Evolution ?.? 2 27 2560x1440 WQHD Samsung PLS Monitor | eBay
thats a weird price jump, must be low on stock or something. i've read a lot of debates between getting a perfect pixel one (the one I linked) and the normal one (the one you linked), some people say its all the exact same and some people say the PP is worth the $10-20 more. The QNIX I got did have a sticker on it that said "zero dead pixel", they are all outsourced from the same distributor company and just a dozen different people are the ebay sellers so imo its worth trying to get a 0-1 dead pixel panel and pay the extra few bucks. Just keep searching for perfect qnix 2710, if someones price jumps up suddenly wait a few days and it'll probably drop back down. Since a lot of people are buying for X-Mas, I would guess if you can be patient and wait a month the price will be back down to $299 or less for a perfect one in january.

OC'd to 120hz today btw no problem, this is on a 680 gtx with 3 panels attached - two 1440p (one at 90 one at 120) and a 60" sony LED. 120hz is fabulous.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
alright this is a pretty dumb question, but i was going to re use my PSU but im not even sure if it will connect with this mobo can anyone tell me what type of PSU connecter or port this mobo is using? the psu i have now is the long rectangle connecter, tried google but i fucking suck.
Motherboards - Z87-PLUS

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I've read conflicting things on perfect-pixel claims. Some say it is worth the extra money, some claim it to be a complete hoax and a way to just charge extra for no real reasons, as none of these panels can be guaranteed as pixel perfect(hence why they are being sold basically 2nd hand, and they weren't used by Samsung in the first place)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
alright this is a pretty dumb question, but i was going to re use my PSU but im not even sure if it will connect with this mobo can anyone tell me what type of PSU connecter or port this mobo is using? the psu i have now is the long rectangle connecter, tried google but i fucking suck.
Motherboards - Z87-PLUS
That mobo is just a standard ATX 24-pin connector. Check and make sure your PSU has something that looks like the two plugs on the left in this picture
frown.png
should have 1 20-pin plug, and 1 4-pin)
300-watt-atx-power-supply-FSP-ATX-300GU-350w.gif

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Can anyone recommend a decent dual monitor stand/arm for vertical monitor stacking that also gets the bottom monitor off the desk about 3-4"? Using two 27" monitors.