Desktop Computers

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
as far as the CPU, I'm certainly no expert as to the limits of its capabilities, but I do "heavy duty" photoshop in that I work in 300 res files up to 6' x 6' for apparel and print production, no CPU bottleneck there... then again, I'm usually color separating, rather than applying filters, but even with the beefy plugins and what not that I use, there's no noticeable CPU lag..

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys, what's a good but not ridiculous HSF for an i5-4670? Not looking to do water cooling or anything like that. Might do some mild OCing, but nothing crazy, and not messing with voltages. After something that's fairly quiet and easy to install.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Nice, thanks. Picked one up at lunch. Seems pretty cheap for supposedly a really good HSF.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I haven't spent alot of time messing with OC, what would be the gaming advantages to pushing my 3570k over 4ghz or higher?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I haven't spent alot of time messing with OC, what would be the gaming advantages to pushing my 3570k over 4ghz or higher?
Higher scores on synthetic benchmarks, basically.

In real world use, all you do is use more power and throw more waste heat. The built-in turbo mode is way more efficient and stable and produces only slightly less performance.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Btw, if you don't overclock you should not get the K-type Haswell chips. The non-K parts actually have a few extra features that got cut for sake of overclockability. They're minor things, like enhanced virtualization features, but they're technically better, and cheaper.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
If he does that he should get a Q chipset motherboard as well to benefit from vPro & shit. IP KVM @ 1920x1080 sounds pretty damn awesome.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
DHL's shipping speed from Korea is ridiculous. Picked up yesterday my package went from Korea to Ohio, and is now out for delivery here in Las Vegas.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, it took twice as long for FedEx to ship my monitor stand from Miami to Missouri as it did for my monitor to ship from South Korea to Missouri.

Ordered both on a thursday night, Monitor was here on Monday, stand not until Thursday. Paid for the cheapest/free ground shipping on both.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Aside from a lot of light bleeding at the bottom (something I'm not that anal about), the thing is gorgeous.

Renault

N00b
Finally bought my video card; PNY GTX760 from Newegg with 10% off and a $40 MIR so ~195 after tax and shipping.

Never really heard anything about PNY for GPU's but at that price I figured I use it for a year or so and then eBay it if I can and upgrade to the next gen.

Inque

FunEmployed
Good recommendation on Hard Drives, I've got a 120GB Samsung SSD for the main but I want at least a 1 TB for the secondary to install all my STEAM games, etc... budget approximately $100. I've not shopped for a main disk drive in ages but I'm partial to WD Caviar Black Editions except is there any real difference between that and a Green Drive, other than Warranty being 5 years instead of 2?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Go WD Black. Unless something has changed recently, heres the difference between Blue, Black, and Green

http://www.codespromedia.com/site/co..._pro_media.pdf

basically:
Green is 5400 RPM, slow but low energy use
Blue is 7200RPM, but only 3 GB/s transfer speed
Black is 7200 RPM and 6 GB/s transfer speed

tl;dr Black is the fastest, get that if you are gaming off of it. If you're just buying a storage drive for music or video or random file, any of them are fine(just go cheapest one you find at that point, probably Green)