Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, thats probably the top picture I linked, right? That looks exactly like my EVGA 660Ti that I bought the day they released last year, it is just stock cooling, and it overclocks great.

Scaffa_sl

shitlord
The stock ones tend to be a good balance between noise and cooling.The ones which start to look like a klingons dildo usually trade noise for more cooling (thus more OC), though the cyclone cooler from a while back was better on both.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, thats probably the top picture I linked, right? That looks exactly like my EVGA 660Ti that I bought the day they released last year, it is just stock cooling, and it overclocks great.
EVGA Superclocked 02G P4 2662 RX GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192 Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3 | eBay

Thoughts? I reaaaally want to save money on a card now and purchase a serious upgrade in 9ish months.

Not sure what do.

My biggest concern is that I really only want to spend $100 right now. Dunno if the above is a good enough purchase or if I should just wait until I have a $200+ purchase.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
EVGA Superclocked 02G P4 2662 RX GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192 Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3 | eBay

Thoughts? I reaaaally want to save money on a card now and purchase a serious upgrade in 9ish months.

Not sure what do.

My biggest concern is that I really only want to spend $100 right now. Dunno if the above is a good enough purchase or if I should just wait until I have a $200+ purchase.
What resolution will you be gaming at? If 1080p, that'll be fine until maxwell drops.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm looking to purchase a new video card. I've recently purchased (and been loving) two korean monitors that were mentioned earlier, so I'm gaming in 2560 x 1440 resolution and I've noticed a bit of a slow down. Reading over the last few pages, there seemed to have been some mixed information regarding whether or not I need to be looking for higher ram on the card, so I figured I'd just ask. As for price, I'll spend up to 400 if I can justify it but I'm looking in the 300$ range.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The new AMD cards are excellent value for the dollar. They just run hot as fuck because of the crap stock cooler they have. I'd wait for custom cards to come out in January and then go for one. Or I believe you can get a regular 780 now for around $400-450 bucks.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Dude the new AMD cardswerea good value for the dollar but because of all the crypto currency mining that is no longer true. R290s are all over $500 on Amazon and some are over $600 lol.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm looking to purchase a new video card. I've recently purchased (and been loving) two korean monitors that were mentioned earlier, so I'm gaming in 2560 x 1440 resolution and I've noticed a bit of a slow down. Reading over the last few pages, there seemed to have been some mixed information regarding whether or not I need to be looking for higher ram on the card, so I figured I'd just ask. As for price, I'll spend up to 400 if I can justify it but I'm looking in the 300$ range.
the fps slowdown is just due to more pixels, 1440p is 3.7m pixels compared to 2m pixels for 1080p so nearly double the number of pixels that are manipulated, shadowed, textured, etc. You can download gpuZ to see how much video memory is being used fromGPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utilityget a baseline before the game (mines around 100-500mb desktop mode) then run a few different games and check. If you have 2013 Tomb Raider its benchmark is a good way to test out FPS and gpu load, mine hits around 1800mb under maxxed out TR settings.

Also shadows and aliasing are the heavy memory users, while TXAA isn't as good as MSAA it is a huge performance improvement and takes up very little memory, so can try switching to that if you wanna up your FPS rates. Dunno about fxaa, sweetFX, etc.

the downside to overclocking 1440p monitors is that getting a graphic card to run 1440p at 90 or 120 fps is almost impossible in modern games with everything maxxed out, you need like SLI top end cards to hit that rate. You can either drop down to multiple of 30 fps or tweak settings to improve performance on a lower card, until at least more gSync monitors come out.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
OMFG just finished setting up my new Nvidia Surround triple monitor gaming rig with 3 32" LGs. It is so sick, especially in BF4 =x

xIJkUPRl.jpg

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I've never had the pleasure of using an SSD myself, but it seems really strange to compromise heavily on your GPU to have one. Especially considering that the cost of the SSD + your current card could buy you a gtx 760 with 2 free games.

Just my 2 cents.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
You can't talk about it if you haven't tried it yet. There's no upgrade that can compare to the general performance gained by installing a ssd. He could have went for the 120gb version and grabbed a better video but a ssd is a must in any current system.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If you've had an ssd there is no way in hell you would ever not have one, it's that good of an upgrade

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
holy hell, ssd is the most essential upgrade, it literally transforms 20+ years of waiting for boot up/start up to nearly instant on. and now ssd's are just as simple and cheap to install, back then i had to raid two 30gb ssd's not to just get a tiny bit of performance, but cuz 60g ssd's were impossible to come by. (and if you just install win7 on 30gb drive you have like maybe 10gbs free after updates/ .net/directx)

everyone should be on a ssd, heck i even repurposed my 2/ 30gb ssd raid into my htpc, an old ssd is still miles better than any shitty 10,000 rpm drive.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I've never had the pleasure of using an SSD myself, but it seems really strange to compromise heavily on your GPU to have one. Especially considering that the cost of the SSD + your current card could buy you a gtx 760 with 2 free games.

Just my 2 cents.
Nah, this SSD has changed my world. When you're talking about 5 seconds for a restart and about 3 seconds to power up, it's a game-changer.

Jazser_sl

shitlord
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this build. Anyone see any issues or opportunities to improve without raising the cost much? Or is anything overkill? I plan to build this as a gaming rig primarily obviously, but also run Sonar X1 for audio production. Would like to be able to grab another card for sli in a couple of years after the inevitable slow down. Currently running 1920 x 1080, and may at some point go to 2 monitors.

Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, Corsair 350D - System Build - PCPartPicker

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this build. Anyone see any issues or opportunities to improve without raising the cost much? Or is anything overkill? I plan to build this as a gaming rig primarily obviously, but also run Sonar X1 for audio production. Would like to be able to grab another card for sli in a couple of years after the inevitable slow down. Currently running 1920 x 1080, and may at some point go to 2 monitors.

Intel Core i5-4670K, MSI GeForce GTX 770, Corsair 350D - System Build - PCPartPicker
Okay you picked out a 1 DIMM kit of memory. That's not going to work well for you. You want a dual channel pair. You probably want a slighly bigger PSU, and you probably want one with a higher efficiency rating.