Desktop Computers

jeydax

Death and Taxes
You could play any game currently on the market in 4K resolution at ultra settings, that's what you could do.

hats

Molten Core Raider
All I want is a reliable, super-efficiently cooled computer that can handle 'ultra' graphics at about 1920x1080. I don't see much reason to go higher res than that.

Oh, and I'd like to do it with a single optimzed GPU if I could. SLI scares me but I might be convinced.

And what about those funky cube boxes? Those better for heat flow?

Think I could do it for 4k instead of 5?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If all you want to do is game at ultra at 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200 for that matter) with a cool computer then you only probably need to spend no more than $1k-1.5k, tbh.

hats

Molten Core Raider
Honestly i've been asking random questions on this board for months regarding what to buy

Partly because i find it fun but also i have no idea wtf im doing. Even after reading a whole bunch it seems like the best way to figure this stuff out is to buy something and then see how it goes.

Anyway can someone just recommend me a processor / video card combo that can do what I mentioned (run well ultra at 1920x1080)? My budget is high but if I don't need to spend a fortune to do this, I'd rather not of course.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Intel i5 4670k processor and an Nvidia 780/780ti will run everything on ultra at 1080p for the next year or two. The processor will probably be fine for 5+ years, the video card will have to be replaced in 2-ish, to stay up with modern games on ultra settings. And AMD 290x video card is also a good choice if you have any preference for AMd over Nvidia.

hats

Molten Core Raider
Thanks, and if I'm really only gaming, do I need anything more than 8gb ram? I know this question has been asked for years but since its 2014 I thought I'd ask again.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
8gb is fine for gaming. Get two 4gb sticks. You can always add more on the cheap if you need.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Intel i5 4670k processor and an Nvidia 780/780ti will run everything on ultra at 1080p for the next year or two. The processor will probably be fine for 5+ years, the video card will have to be replaced in 2-ish, to stay up with modern games on ultra settings. And AMD 290x video card is also a good choice if you have any preference for AMd over Nvidia.
290X is not a good choice if you're looking for a cooler build.

MossyBank

N00b
Hey guys, i'm looking to build a new PC after my old one got toasted from a lightning strike (even with a pretty decent power strip). I was able to salvage the GPU, and I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset etc.

Here is what I was thinking of putting together atm:

(CPU) -Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K - Newegg.com
(CPU Cooler) -COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011 - Newegg.com
(RAM) -G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com
(Mainboard) -ASRock Z97 Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gbs USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com
(PSU) -CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W ATX12V EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready - Newegg.com
(Case) -Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0 - Newegg.com
(My old GPU) -GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

My major question is, should I get a better version of the Z97 MB? Or maybe a Z87 if I have no plans for a broadwell CPU later on? Will I be able to overclock a bit on that cheaper Z97? And is there any changes you guys would make with this setup?

Thanks.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I would get theIntel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I54690 - Newegg.comand not bother overclocking. Overclocking Haswell is a waste of time. For overall system performance, the built in Turbo mode gives you more real world performance than low stable overclocks do.

That motherboard is great for the price. 109 with Intel LAN? Score.

That power supply is a piece of shit.

SeaSonic G-750 SSR-750RM 750W ATX12V EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.comThis is a better one if you insist on 750W for adding another video card later, but 750W is way overkill for what you've got now.

Or go with the more expensive modular PSU if you don't want to pull your hair out during the wiring phase of the build.

MossyBank

N00b
Thanks. If I decide to go with the non K cpu, should I bother with the after-market CPU cooler? Or will the stock fan work well enough?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I disagree with mist about a non-K proc. May as well overclock them. It is quite easy to get a decent overclock (ie: not a "low stable overclock" whatever the fuck that means).

I'd get a after-market cooler either way, Haswell tends to run pretty hot because of the thermal paste vs. soldered issue.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
If you want to overclock you should just wait a month or so until the 'Devil's Canyon' Haswell-k CPUs come out with the new thermal interface material. Intel is saying they can do 5ghz on air cooling.

The 4670k can barely get to 4.2 stable on good motherboards, and at that point it's not worth the trouble over getting the refreshed 4690, for 15 dollars cheaper, running stable at stock on a cheap motherboard, with Turbo freqs up to 3.9.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If you want to overclock you should just wait a month or so until the 'Devil's Canyon' Haswell-k CPUs come out with the new thermal interface material. Intel is saying they can do 5ghz on air cooling.

The 4670k can barely get to 4.2 stable on good motherboards, and at that point it's not worth the trouble over getting the refreshed 4690, for 15 dollars cheaper, running stable at stock on a cheap motherboard, with Turbo freqs up to 3.9.
Waiting for the new K haswell chip I would agree with.