Desktop Computers

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
Ain't that the truth. It's like, hey PC gamers have these awesome machines, and we're not going to develop for them at all. Instead we'll develop for the static console machines and just dumb everything down so as to not take advantage of the PC systems.
I'm sure you've heard this time and time again, but they'd rather develop for the static console machine as it's way easier because it's guaranteed to have the same specs instead of developing for the PC where you have to account for little Timmy's Walmart PC and Billy Badass's $5k Alienware and all the goofy configurations in between.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ Man that really sucks. I had zero issues with that and have purchased about 20~ or so keys from there.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
After reading through the Toms Hardware August Recommendations, The i5 4590 and the i5 4690k seem like the processors to get at this time. My question is what kind of motherboard should I pair with this? I would be pairing it with a graphics card in the 200-300 dollar price range.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not really sure if this is the right place for something like this, but it seems like it.

I have an old computer I'm going to try to sell on Craigslist but I'm not sure what to price it at.

2600k overclocked to 4.5 cooled by an H50, P67 Sabertooth Motherboard, 16gb Ram, ATI 5750 (5700? not really sure on this, 5700 series), Samsung 840 100gb SSD.

What should I expect to get? I was thinking $400 to 500, is that too much to ask? I would throw in a keyboard, mouse, and an old 19' LCD (Square, not wide)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
16GB of DDR3 1600 is worth $100-150 by itself. That SSD is worth $50-60, windows is worth $90...and that processor is still perfectly fine for gaming. The video card sucks, but I think $400 is reasonable just for the tower without the monitor/keyboard/mouse, and $500 seems reasonable if you throw all of those in.

Someone could buy that setup for $400, slap in a $300 video card, and have a great gaming PC for relatively cheap

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I'd take that cpu, ram, ssd if I wasn't on the other side of the world
frown.png

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I listed it for $450. I had a guy contact me and offer me $550 if I'll ship it to his son.

Any idea on what shipping a computer would cost and how I should package it?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
here's what you do, if it's your first time shipping a computer...

screw down shit on the inside, really screw down the video card, really push in the power connectors, molex shits, it will jostle, and worse comes to worse a power connection comes off and they say, shit don't work, gimme back money.

then bring your tower and crap k/m and even the crappy monitor? to a UPS store.

they'll pack it for you/peanuts/wrap... get insurance/tracking should cost 40-60$
(the monitor throws off calculations)

was it a midtower?

is it steel or aluminum?

Oldbased

> Than U
I listed it for $450. I had a guy contact me and offer me $550 if I'll ship it to his son.

Any idea on what shipping a computer would cost and how I should package it?
Be careful about that, especially the money part.
I have sold quite a few things on CL and always get the I am overseas or in another state but if you ship it to x family person, I'll pay more scams.
I'm sure you know to be careful but do be very aware of scams in that.

Hell I was once listing a oak bed frame about 90 years old and had on there you must see and pay in person and getting people still mailing me offers of checks, money orders, western union and whatnot.
Sure again you knew this, but just be careful.

Edited in since PC.
I am getting ready to build a mostly new rig for gaming. Keeping some things to save money from the 2010 build.

Keeping my card reader, fan control.
Debating keeping my PSU since it is still made and is decent. It is a Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40?C, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Active PFC
Ram isn't the best but I have 8gb Kingston 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
Video card is also cheap but I just bought it this year. Going to move it over as well as it is something I can upgrade later anytime. XFX R7-260X AMD

HD still works fine but it has 4 years on it now, so replacing it, the DVD drive I have into a Blu-Ray and I find it as cheap to find a decent case as it is to replace the 6 fans in my old one.
That still leaves me searching for a MB/CPU combo to replace my Core 2 Duo e7500

But the real question is Windows 7 OEM.
Has anyone had success reusing your old license on a new pc build if you ensure the old copy/HD isn't going to be used again?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
if you're gonna get cash face to face, why don't you just give the father the computer? lol, doesn't make sense he wants you to ship it.

but yea mid/aluminum weight should be on the low side of 40-50

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
100% scam

No way a person would hand someone $550 in cash, in person, and not take the item on the spot, but trust them to then ship it after the fact. You could easily just pocket the cash and never see the guy again.

If the dude agrees to cash in person, he's going to show up with a check or (fake)money order with some sob story about how his ATM card wouldn't work so he couldn't get cash, blahblahblah, and then really pressure you to do the transaction anyways. Of course the check/money order will bounce.