Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

DMK_sl

shitlord
This will be the fabled "Wow-killer" people have been asking about since wow launched. What the next WoW will be and it's this. I'm thinking easily over 6 million in sales.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
This will be the fabled "Wow-killer" people have been asking about since wow launched. What the next WoW will be and it's this. I'm thinking easily over 6 million in sales.
While I'm loving the game I'm not sure I agree with that. The game is a lot different than WoW (obviously), and thus caters to a different crowd. I do wonder if Destiny had something to do with the push back of Titan though.

Anyways game is great. I really appreciate the lack of tutorials and hand holding... Surely this could change, but if my vote means anything I hope that shit stays out!!! Definitely will be hoping for more classes, and will have to read more about the skill system. Is there any differentiation between two people of the same class, or do they both eventually end up with all of the skills?

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I'm not a huge FPS fan for consoles, i prefer my mouse and keyboard any day. But playing this was very smooth and i felt like i could totally play this with no real feelings of hatefulness towards not having a mouse/keyboard. I was pulling off headshots, doing fast knife attacks, fighting off the horde all without getting frustrated like i do in almost every other FPS console game. I'm pumped for this, and itching to play more.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Thanks to zarcath I got to try this out last night / this AM. First impression was that I was playing Mass Effect the MMO and this was very much a good thing. The story mission will be recognizable from the videos and first looks and was certainly not trivial on the first play through and even on subsequent runs at higher level the 'end boss' was a bit of a hassle.

It was noteworthy that enemy public events can and do spawn inside the story mission, at least they did when I went back and did the mission a second time.

Cooldown on your class ability is initially quite long and the super ability even longer, but they are indeed quite handy. Part of me wishes for a bit more class distinction aside from long cooldown attacks, but perhaps that comes later on. Having the "singularity" grenade as the first ability for Warlock seemed an odd choice given it's short range and the fact that the second power is melee range puts the Warlock at a shorter range than I would have expected.

Loot is simple enough with plain vendor trash items and other loot you get I'D'd in town from a character that combines Cain and Kadala into one critter. Due to the drops I got initially I started using Scout rifles and after awhile the gun I had levelled up, which was nice.

Graphics are excellent and the game handles like a dream. I'm usually pretty terrible at console shooters like Call of Duty yet I found my bullets easily going where I wanted them to and this made all the difference in the world. Not sure what Bungie has done different here vs. Call of Battlefield but it has made me quite addicted in just a few short hours.

The concept is good, the engine purrs even in it's pre-Beta state and the game elements you would expect from a MMORPGFPS are present. All the pieces are here and if the content and general community gels around it this could be huge for Bungie and Activision.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Huge thanks to Zarcath. Downloading now, cable finally decided to work again. I don't want to go to work, I wants to play.

spronk

FPS noob
while 6m is easily within reach - Watch Dogs is already at 5m, Call of Duty Ghosts sold well over 18m copies and I rarely have heard anyone say anything that good about it - its definitely not a wow killer, just like GW2 wasn't. First its not even on PC, so not sure why its even being compared. It is being released for 360 and ps3 I believe so that should help with sales numbers.

Second, its a lot more like GW2 in terms of "persistence", you join small lobbies/servers not a single world instance as far as I can tell. Character "attachment" feels a lot lower, heck you don't even get to name your dude/dudette its whatever your PSN name is as far as I can tell (which makes for some weird times when a dude name rolls around as a chick). The "hub"/city for the game is tiny, without a keyboard no one is really chatting, and the biggest raid size is 6. You can create alts (only 3 classes tho) just press + at the char select screen.

It feels way, way, way more like Borderlands than anything else, in a more scifi/space opera setting. The Halo roots definitely creep in. I haven't read much about what the business model is but I assume it is b2p and microtransactions and shit down the road?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I saw someone playing this last night actually. Did anyone here get into alpha through normal sign up? Curious if its started since matches still take a while to start up.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Got to play around for a few hours before bed last night and I gotta say, i'm fully on board this hype train. At the risk of being redundant, I will forego most of what everyone else has already said as much of it is pretty spot on and acurate. Controls, gfx, AI, sound, setting and overall presentation are all top notch so far and being in Alpha, thats no small praise.

Rolled a Warlock out of the gate and pretty much just ran around shooting stuff to get a hang of the controls when I found myself veering away from my objective to explore an underground shelter of some sort. As soon as the light bar in my controller flashed and my dude turned on the flashlight I got chills (nice touch!). Long story short, I was chased out in short order by ??? Conned mobs eating my gunfire for bfast. Thats when I discovered my speeder bike and zipped my way to the objective only to get cought in a public event. Love the ominous sound and dark sky that precedes such events (again, nice touch).

After downing the Wizard, I hit up the next location which seemed to be more open with various little objectives scattered. It was here that I finaly started to get the hang of the UI and grabbed some loot and upgraded some skills. Got involved in another sweet public quest that had everyone (all 4 of us) dug into various buildings picking away at a huge mech-like spider thingy that was VERY capable of one shotting me. All the while fending of packs of mobs of increasing difficulty. Wasn't able to take him down but I got a level out of it. Shortly after I had to pry myself away otherwise I would of got no sleep.

Consider my expectations FAR exceeded. Thank's again Zarcath for the code, you rock! Work is gonna draaaaag today.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Got to play about 5 minutes worth this morning before work, couldn't resist starting it up once I saw the download was done before I had to leave. A+ so far.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Just did a Strike with Xxexx, pretty much a 'dungeon' with bosses and such but damn fun.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I knew that name looked familiar, I've been trying to run the strike on legend setting but no one is trying to get in so it just times out. Did the weekend alpha start yet?

Also wondering if my alpha character will carry over to beta.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Weekend alpha starts at noon PST from what I saw on the FAQ on Bungie's site. I didn't even realize there were options for different difficulty levels, so perhaps others don't as well?

Speaking of not knowing things... took me ages to realize the D-pad is used to do things like Wave and Dance. I still don't know what effect my 'class armor' has as it has no stats or description. Although I did get a green-quality one.

Is "Tess Evris" in town voiced by Claudia Black?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
There isn't any way that this is going to be a wow-killer for one simple reason. It's not on PC.

Disabled

Lord Nagafen Raider
I haven't really played a lot of betas/alphas, but this is probably one of the smoothest experiences I've had in awhile. I think someone mentioned here it's better than 50% of the FPS's out there now? I can definitely attest to that. I've been playing FPS's since I was 8 years old and they are, without a doubt, my favorite genre, right next to MMORPGs. So Bungie is definitely tickling my fancy with mixing the two into Destiny.

There really isn't anything huge to complain about, BUT the two things I think could be changed is:
1. Yes, the controls feel responsive, but the look sensitivity is vastly different with ADS and hip fire. For example, if my look sensitivity was at 8 (out of 10), the hip fire seems fluid, whereas I'm aiming like I never played an FPS before in my life with ADS.
2. Very small change, but I think it'd be great for when you are traveling to different areas, you are able to move the ship in the air. I know Bungie said that the ship isn't supposed to be a huge part of the game, but just being able to control left, right, (y-axis might also be possible, but see streams/youtube videos of the load screen to see why it might be weird to add), would be a fun thing to do while you wait/load for your destination.

Streaming again if you guys want to watch/ask me questions (edit: or if you want to play!).
www.twitch.tv/Jahream

P.S. Can't thank Zarcath enough for this!

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really didn't want to buy a next gen console yet. The lack of a PC version makes me really sad.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There isn't any way that this is going to be a wow-killer for one simple reason. It's not on PC.
They never said it wouldnt eventually, they are just focusing on the consoles first - Im pretty sure it will reach PC it just wont allow you to mingle with the console players, which im sure most will be fine with.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think any game, especially an mmo, would suffer greatly, sales wise, if not released on PC.