Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I found a hand cannon with 224 damage, giving that a whirl. It seems pretty decent. I really want an auto rifle but haven't gotten a blue one yet :/ Also, I forgot that the heroic strikes don't auto give you people.

jHJLYE1.jpg

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm not quite sure what Bungie has in mind for solidifying the social network necessary for Heroic Strikes and such. Trying to communicate "hey, would you like to go do a really hard dungeon" with a combination of point dance and sit is pretty challenging. I suppose that is why they have messaging on the app, but I find the UI on the app really annoying, especially for the Grimoire cards

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I found a hand cannon with 224 damage, giving that a whirl. It seems pretty decent. I really want an auto rifle but haven't gotten a blue one yet :/ Also, I forgot that the heroic strikes don't auto give you people.

jHJLYE1.jpg
Hand cannons are so awesome now. Don't know about in PvP but in pve they just mow things down. As long as you are somewhat patient you can get chain precision shots all day long

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Phogoth the untamed is ridiculous. The two level 14 strikes were leagues easier than that fight. We ended up getting stuck in the respawn room with a shrieker that kept respawning and about 4 wizards/3 knights. Eventually, mobs stop spawning.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Phogoth the untamed is ridiculous. The two level 14 strikes were leagues easier than that fight. We ended up getting stuck in the respawn room with a shrieker that kept respawning and about 4 wizards/3 knights. Eventually, mobs stop spawning.
Yea wizards can really hurt. The adds are more hard than the boss in most fights

Column_sl

shitlord
FYI I just noticed this last night helping a friend level. You can get Blues from any level story mode, and the rewards also scale to your level.

So if you are 20 helping out a 5, you still get decent stuff including Blue engrams.

Anyone know the official word on the vanguard/Crucible cap every week, is it still 100 marks per faction?And what time/day does it reset?

Column_sl

shitlord
About to hit Level 20? Here's what to do next. From r/destiny

Since Destiny is not your typical FPS, it combines a bit of Borderlands looting and Diablo 3 progression and is nothing like Halo, I'm sure some of you might find it a bit confusing. So, i am going to break down what the "End Game" at level 20 is about, and hope this helps you plan ahead and get enjoyment out of what is inevitably a grind-fest.

Yes, you are going to have to grind.
Anyone familiar with Diablo 3 or MMOs in general are familiar with this concept. It will become tedious and annoying, but when you get your first piece of shiny Purple, it will all be worth it. If grinding is not your thing, then there is plenty of exploring to do i suppose.

First, figure out what you want to focus on AT FIRST: PvE or PvP. This is not a major issue in the bigger picture, you can obviously do both, however, to get your FIRST piece of Purple, it will help you tremendously to pick one or the either, and stick with that for a bit.

Why is this? Because there are three different vendors you can get gear from: Your Class Vendor/Vanguard Armory, The Crucible Vendor, or any of the Faction Vendors. Your Class Vendor/Vanguard Armory requires Vanguard Marks, and the rest require Crucible Marks.

So, if you want to focus on PvE, then just stick with your Class Vendor for now. However, if you want to focus on PvP, then you should probably pick something from the Crucible Vendors at first.

Everyone requires Reputation before you can purchase Purple equipment from them. Your Class Vendor requires Vanguard Rank 2 for Armor pieces, and Rank 3 for Weapons. Crucible Vendor requires Crucible Rank 2 for Armor, Rank 3 Weapons. Factions requires Rank 2 with that Faction to purchase Armor, Rank 3 for Weapons.

How Do you get reputation?
Ah, now we are getting to the Grinding.
Vanguard (PvE) rank is simple: you can do Strike Playlists, which will put you in a random Strike, and you will earn Rep AND Marks (Marks are the currency used to purchase equipment). On the Left side of your screen will be a "Daily Heroic Story" which will award bonus Vanguard Marks once a day for completing that specific Story mission Hard Mode. Below that is a Weekly Heroic Strike, which will also award rep and marks, but is limited to once a week. You can also do Vanguard bounties and Patrols for reputation. You are capped at 100 Marks a week though, but you can grind until you get Rep 3 all you wish.

For PvP, it is set up pretty much the same, except you just have to participate in the Crucible to get Marks and Reputation. You can also do Crucible specific Bounties to increase your Crucible Rep.

As you can see, this is why it helps to pick which mode you want to focus on at first, since you are going to have to grind rep with either Vanguard or Crucible to 2 and then 3, and then use the Marks to purchase gear.

Ah, but what about Factions?
Factions (Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, New Monarchy) are a bit trickier since they require their own Rep, AND Crucible Marks to purchase items. If you wish to go that route, simply purchase one of their Class Armor items when you hit 20 (should be the only thing you can actually purchase), equip it, and start earning Rep by the same way you earn rep listed above, but now it will count towards that Faction, instead of Vanguard or Crucible rep.

What's the level cap?
Well, technically there isnt one. Once you hit 20, you stop gaining levels from Experience points. Instead, your post-20 levels (21, 22, etc) are based on your GEAR. Specifically, a new stat listed on higher level gear (usually Blues) thats called "Light." When you equip a piece of equipment with the Light stat on it, it is like adding a small bit of XP to your progress bar to 21. Equip enough pieces with Light, and you will hit 21. You must seek out better gear with even higher Light stat numbers on them to level to 22, then 23, etc. Its a long process to say the least. Also, dont forget to upgrade your gear, because it will also increase the Light stat number on that piece of gear, getting you ever closer to the next level.

Edit...picture explaining Light Level:

imgur: the simple image sharer

As you can see, i have "28" points in Light, and the Bar is about 75% full, so im guessing i need 40 Points I need 32 points of Light to hit 22, so i need gear with an additional 4 points of light combined to hit level 22.

This game is designed for the End-game grind (like most MMOs are). You will want to upgrade your gear so you can do harder missions, which in turn will drop better gear, and more marks and reps to allow you to buy the bestest gear. Or, you can just play nothing but Crucible, grind rep, do Crucible bounties, get your Marks and purchase them that way. In either case, it is a grind. So good luck!!

Feel free to ask any questions, since i know this is a bit confusing for some.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Legit question here; why do people like this game? It looks identical to ME3/Borderlands. Watched some twitch streamers play it and I thought for sure they were just playing ME3 mp.

j00t

I know this has been talked about before, but use the right element for for shielded enemies. I was one shotting red shielded wizards with my fire sniper rifle. Completely took the wind out of the sails of those encounters.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Legit question here; why do people like this game? It looks identical to ME3/Borderlands. Watched some twitch streamers play it and I thought for sure they were just playing ME3 mp.
As someone who loved ME3 mp I can say, this game is NOTHING like it at all. ME mp is 3rd person cover shooter with waves of mobs in enclosed "arena's" (for lack of a better word).

Destiny is a lobby based Borderlands sans the loot pinata which, to answer your question, is why I like it.

Also theres nothing else out on ps4 worth playing. So ugh, theres that too.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
As someone who loved ME3 mp I can say, this game is NOTHING like it at all. ME mp is 3rd person cover shooting waves of mobs in enclosed "arena's" (for lack of a better word).

Destiny is a lobby based Borderlands sans the loot pinata which, to answer your question, is why I like it.

Also theres nothing else out on ps4 worth playing. So ugh, theres that too.
I guess I should've said the PVP looked like ME3 MP. Just run around and randomly pick off things you see, the game play looks like ME3 to me though, run around shoot somethings, use a spell, rinse repeat.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I like it because its something to play with friends and it has that grinding aspect I enjoy. Sitting in party chat either buds dicking around telling gay jokes and getting loot is A+ to me

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
In anyone else cares Crispin Freeman is the name of the Male Awoken voice actor. He also did Roy Harper / Red Arrow / Arsenal on Young Justice. It was driving me crazy because I recognized the voice, just not from where.

j00t

Crispin freeman does a ton of voices. He's also the male wizard from d3

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'll try to answer, even though I am getting more pissed off with Bungie/Activisions way of handling the press and doing the typical misleading "Hey look, $500 million sold to retailers!" crap to mislead people into thinking they made $500 million in revenue the first day. Along with not giving any of the reviewers a chance to come out with day one reviews because they had a feeling it wouldn't garner 8, 9 and 10/10's and hurt sales. It is definitely a 6/7 out of 10 sort of game. I can explain why I feel like that after the explanation of how it is definitely like ME3, but 1st person, but without the things that made the atmosphere so awesome.

1) ME3 had a good storyline and single player component. This definitely doesn't. The single player is horseshit, with horrible voice acting, with the same rinse and repeat wave of mobs missions and nothing ever changes. The reason why I feel people can definitely be upset about this is they originally sold this as a solid story experience/universe. Alpha/Beta showed limited content and you would have fan boys saying that there is going to be much more, causing confusion in the community. When it comes out, you realize there are maybe 5? different atmosphere types, which consists of large maps getting heavily reused, and limited NPC monster/alien art. So the single player experience is MAYBE, quite honestly in my opinion, about as brainless as playing against Bots in Battlefield 1942 in single player with a back drop that never gets explained. 10 year plan or whatever the hell they are saying, it isn't engaging. AT ALL. So that 10 year plan isn't going to be worth jack if they don't make some serious changes in their DLC momentum if they come out with the same content for the next two DLC's.

2) It differs from Borderlands in that it really isn't open world. You are limited in where you can go, and while there is stuff to explore, there isn't any need too unless you are a completionist. Which is fine if you are, but going back to a planet to find 5 gold chests which aren't doing anything for me anyway since nothing seems to be dropping from them regardless (Until they fix this) isn't making it any more fun for (my) tastes. Borderlands was definitely less persistent in so far as population. You picked a group of players to play with and you were locked. Here at least you can run into random players. What the majorly fucked up here on is you have really NO way to communicate with them unless you invite them to a fireteam or friend them randomly. Otherwise, about the only interaction you are going to have is spamming a wave/salute/dance emote in a corner somewhere. You will get the occasional player that you just team up with ala the game Journey(If you ever played that, you run around a world and randomly a buddy shows up and you two work together without speaking and only communicating via blips and bloops), with zero communication and just playing together without speaking. Loot rained from the sky in Borderlands. In Destiny it is sought after and you feel a sense of accomplishment when you actually * do * get something, but the entire itemization process from 1-20 is ridiculous. In leveling to 8, I haven't seen one blue drop through playing PvP matches, single player, and one fire team. All green or white. You would think you would be able to at least get a blue drop, and heaven forbid a taste of a lower level purple. Not a thing. Whether that is because I am one unlucky guy, or because the low level rare items just flat out don't exist on the loot table, I have no idea. But being that no one else has gotten anything super cool in this level range from what I have read across the forums, I would bet it just doesn't exist.

3) The missions and encounters are EXACTLY like ME3 multiplayer in COOP. Here are a wave of enemies, now you get to a destination, now you fight more waves of enemies, then you win. Seriously, how they could not have made this more engaging boggles my mind and screams lack of effort. Considering EVERY mission is like this. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Whether it is going through a story mission or a fireteam, or if you are out on patrol - with one exception being maybe you get lucky enough to see a boss and you fire on the standard "Hit the yellow weak point". None of the bosses seem to have any cool special abilities. Which is again, astounding to me. Put some effort into it for God's sake.

Now there are some good parts, but nothing that you couldn't really find in any game out there today. Want to go hunt loot? Talk trash in party chat? You can do that in pretty much any game out there today so it brought nothing new to the table other than the fact there are more people playing it for the next 2 weeks than Diablo 3 because it is a fresh coat of paint in a different genre.

The gun play is good and very responsive, and the UI is easy to navigate. It has a fun skill system, and an itemized upgrade path for items which help you reload faster, pray more bullets, do more damage, etc. But even that upgrade is locked to the piece of armor you will have so once you loot a new piece of armor, that upgrade you got while doing a story mission, you need to go back and do it again to replace the upgrade on the new piece of armor. And that's called replayability in their eyes, which is fucking ridiculous.

The PvP is pretty much a 3-4 point conquest mode. Nothing new here either, although I really didn't expect it to be.

Basically I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of people just cash this thing out after 3-4 weeks and if they didn't buy digital, trade it in for a slew of fall games. Far Cry 4, The Evil Within, DA:I, AC: Unity, Little Big Planet 3, etc. People are going to get burned out quick on the lack of engaging gameplay in missions, horrible story so no need to follow it, and standard run of the mill PvP. The game doesn't differentiate itself from anything else, and what it tries to bring to the table it does horribly due to a lack of communication options, even when you set your fireteam option to public.

So while I am still logging in just to shoot some random crap and see if there is anything better later on in the game, I keep reminding myself of when I played River Raid on the Atari 2600 and I thought "Ok if I blow up this bridge, something really cool will happen and I will see something new" only to see the same crap, over and over. And in this day in age with the budget this thing had, watching a publisher try to side swipe fake numbers as sales in the press to garner popularity among the community, and seeing other people's reactions that feel the way I do, I wouldn't be surprised when come November this game is a ghost town.

I also went to Best Buy last night to pick up a bluetooth speaker for my deck, and saw about 50 copies sitting on randomly placed box shelves. Which makes me think their "$500 million to retail" number they spin; $350 million sitting on store shelves across the nation collecting dust.

Anyway, like others, I have nothing else to play. (Although Diablo 3 will get more attention after I put the nail into the box of this game) But once that stops, I forsee the demise of Destiny.

And that, to me, sucks. Had they gotten their mindset into making something new and fresh, it wouldn't have been years of wasted potential. Chalk up another "Not going to take a risk, lets ship mediocrity" game into the nether
frown.png