Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
A tip for warpriest:

Always do the left aura in the middle. When the aura spawns left, rather than having the entire team jump up to the left ledge, the left guys go middle. When the Occulus (or whatever it is) comes, there is a small ledge on the left wall that is partially covered by the shadow of the obelisk, enough to fit all 6 people if they don't push. Also, whichever side is the third to go will be getting the aura (we still all move right if it spawns there and the obelisk is up, some people always go mid), anyways, only 1 person needs to stay so the 2 free people from other runes can begin moving right away, to increase maximum uptime on damage.

The left was always a pain in the ass, but doing this helps.
Yeah, I'm sure that works better. Going up top means there's a chance of someone missing the jump (ie., me) and missing the buff.

Black Spindle probably makes it a lot easier. I was spending half my time reloading my damn sniper rifle.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FYI do your exotic sword quest before Wednesday as the step after the heinous gather part requires you to talk to the armsday merchant on Wednesday.
How soon after hitting 40 can this be started? I'm new to Destiny and just hit 40 with around 200 light.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Did the raid up through Warpriest. We couldn't seem to get enough DPS to take him down, though we kept getting close. It's been too long since I've raided.
Also with Warpriest, it's important that the person who gets the aura (the person who jumps on the last plate), kills adds SLOWLY. When you get the aura you get a 5 stack of the buff, each one for about 10 seconds. Every add you kill takes one off the stack and resets the timer to 10 seconds. If you kill to quickly then you don't maximize your team's time with the buff. The best thing to do if you have the buff is to wait until you only have about 2 or 3 seconds left, then kill the next add to reset the timer. As the dps of the team goes up in the upcoming weeks as gear gets better, then this won't be as strict. By the end of the second go-around, you should have the bosses hit points down to the "p" in Priest. As it was, I was in a pug this week and we got it down to the "p" after the first aura.

Speaking of pugs, this raid is definitely puggable now, I completed it on all 3 of my toons using DestinyLFG.net. Look for groups that have done it before. You should have a light level above 295, unfortunately that is the new standard for groups that have experience it seems like. It's more important that people know what they are doing than light levels obviously. I ran with a group that was on their alts, two of them were LL 289, and we still were able to clear the entire raid.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
hit 40, finish main story, do dread patrol quest, get quest for sword from lord shaxx, get sword maxxed on exp and get sword to 280.

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
How soon after hitting 40 can this be started? I'm new to Destiny and just hit 40 with around 200 light.
I think you get the initial legendary sword quest right after unlocking the dreadnaught patrol. Then you get the exotic sword quest when you have your sword at 280+ and all perks unlocked/filled in.

If any PS4 players ever needs another for raids/nightfalls/court feel free to shoot me a message. 295 hunter with various exotics, play a shit ton but dont have a set raid group.

ps4 name: junun007

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of pugs, this raid is definitely puggable now, I completed it on all 3 of my toons using DestinyLFG.net. Look for groups that have done it before. You should have a light level above 295, unfortunately that is the new standard for groups that have experience it seems like. It's more important that people know what they are doing than light levels obviously. I ran with a group that was on their alts, two of them were LL 289, and we still were able to clear the entire raid.
295 wouldn't be hard except I can't seem to find a heavy drop above 282 no matter what I do. It's getting to be kinda bullshit.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
295 wouldn't be hard except I can't seem to find a heavy drop above 282 no matter what I do. It's getting to be kinda bullshit.
I just ran 25-35 normal strikes and I am light 296. Now I have no need to purchase anything, and I can only really level up now via the raid.

It's all luck. And I have a blue Heavy at 296. Blue ghost which beats anything else out there at 294. Blue artifact at 296. Pretty ridiculous luck for me.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I just ran 25-35 normal strikes and I am light 296. Now I have no need to purchase anything, and I can only really level up now via the raid.

It's all luck. And I have a blue Heavy at 296. Blue ghost which beats anything else out there at 294. Blue artifact at 296. Pretty ridiculous luck for me.
I've had similar luck, except with my heavy. I just never seem to get heavy engrams, and when I do they just turn into strange coins or shitty mid-270s rocket launchers.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I didn't know until today that after maxing out legendary marks you can just run the normal instead of heroic strikes over and over again. Same loot.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
Just started playing 3 weeks ago and sitting in the low 280s Light. Is it best to just run normal strikes than heroic for gear?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Just started playing 3 weeks ago and sitting in the low 280s Light. Is it best to just run normal strikes than heroic for gear?
Yeah. I didn't know what a_skeleton_03 said above was the case with maxed out legendary marks - but I didn't have maxed out Legendary marks and the loot from normal strikes was the same. In fact most of the loot I received from heroics were lower than if I had run normals. Whether that's RNG or what, not sure. I have looted some of the same purple gear between the two however, and a Legendary gun was the same name - dropped in normal and it was 298 attack, dropped in heroic and it was 278. All a roll of the dice.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
a_skeleton_03 already answered your question right above ya.

There is no need to run heroics unless you need legendary marks, which really in this expansion you don't, outside of a few items (the 280 ghost shell and Hung Jury scout rifle come to mind). Once you get going you will have more marks than you know what to do with. At this point I'm just buying exotics I don't need just to keep myself below the 200 cap.

So yes, just run regular strikes to get blue engrams to upgrade your gear. Remember that engrams decode based on your light level, so if you are still low light level, it's best to decode them one at a time, and if it's an upgrade, equip it before decoding your next engram.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah you didn't need to max them out was just saying that if you had maxed them out from your heroic strikes there is no need to run them any more, just wasting time.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
An engram is an engram. It'll decode according to what you're wearing no matter where it drops from.

Marks are mostly useful for imbuing gear by burning up higher attack/defense blues into purples with the bonuses you want. Those perks are really what separate a great piece of gear from a mediocre one.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah you didn't need to max them out was just saying that if you had maxed them out from your heroic strikes there is no need to run them any more, just wasting time.
Marks are so absurdly common that it's really not even worth running heroics vs the reward of doing 2 normal strikes in that time. Every max xp legendary you break apart refunds 5 marks and 1-3 motes of light. It's trivially easy to "bank" 50+ marks in legendary gear you don't need to crack open yet.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kids nap times, and my free time finally matched up. Gonna load this up for the first time right now.

Guess it'll be a while before I hit raids, or have to do any co-op content, but add me if not already added. PSN name in sig.

sl4ck3r_sl

shitlord
That's what I get for idling around forgetting to hit the reply button, the answer shortly before my question is asked. Thanks!

Should I even bother with a faction or does it not even matter? PSN is thafferson

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So yes, just run regular strikes to get blue engrams to upgrade your gear. Remember that engrams decode based on your light level, so if you are still low light level, it's best to decode them one at a time, and if it's an upgrade, equip it before decoding your next engram.
So ive been doing a bit of experimentation on my warlock. Since my titan is now 295 and getting shit for decrypts now, I started to give all my engrams to my warlock to gear him up. So anyways, I did not take down any numbers but the sweet spot it seems to get 290+ engrams at a faster pace is roughly 283 light. I get like one out of 5 engrams decrypting to 290+ where as my titan at 295 is getting shit for 290+ anymore its like 1 out of 15 or more. Its almost like the game wants you to get to 290+ and stops feeding you those 290+ decryptions once you are at that 290+ light spot.

Try it yourself, it could be just RNG fucking with me, or my mind trying to see patterns or whatever, but I swear I get ton more 290+ decryptions at around 283 than at 290+.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oops read that wrong sorry
smile.png

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So ive been doing a bit of experimentation on my warlock. Since my titan is now 295 and getting shit for decrypts now, I started to give all my engrams to my warlock to gear him up. So anyways, I did not take down any numbers but the sweet spot it seems to get 290+ engrams at a faster pace is roughly 283 light. I get like one out of 5 engrams decrypting to 290+ where as my titan at 295 is getting shit for 290+ anymore its like 1 out of 15 or more. Its almost like the game wants you to get to 290+ and stops feeding you those 290+ decryptions once you are at that 290+ light spot.

Try it yourself, it could be just RNG fucking with me, or my mind trying to see patterns or whatever, but I swear I get ton more 290+ decryptions at around 283 than at 290+.
We should try downgrading all our gear to 280 and keep turning in engrams and see what happens.