Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't know about anyone else ,but I had to buy some gunnars this week for my eyes.
It is absolutely brutal playing a diablo type game as a FPS. I never noticed it before with any other games, so I looked it up.

It's very common in an FPS to not blink for large amounts of time.Its even worse for me because I play on a 65 inch TV.
On the weekends sometimes I'll play for 10 hours straight, so the damage on my eyes after that is crazy.
Yeah after about 3-4 hours one of my eyes just hurts immensely and starts watering and I have to basically fucking play with one eye open. It's even worse going back and forth between my modest 32 inch tv and my 24 inch monitor for checking the AA queue while playing Destiny.

Kasted_sl

shitlord
So got my Bad Juju today all finished. In the process of now on working on Thorn. On the pvp part, soooo looking forward to that. And to make things even more fun, decoded a legendary engram and got another exotic pulse rifle, Red Death. I actually have more exotics than legendary right now. Guess I'll just have to drop some tokens and pick up some pieces for my missing slots.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So got my Bad Juju today all finished. In the process of now on working on Thorn. On the pvp part, soooo looking forward to that. And to make things even more fun, decoded a legendary engram and got another exotic pulse rifle, Red Death. I actually have more exotics than legendary right now. Guess I'll just have to drop some tokens and pick up some pieces for my missing slots.
Red Death. You lucky sob.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The game is out almost 2 weeks now and rightnow i am still gearing up casually and having fun doing a mix of everything the game has to offer. However, i am starting to doubt the lasting power. For example, the random roaming / patrol missions is my favorite game mode so far, but sadly it's no challenge. Most of the casual side of the game is way to easy already at level 20+ in blue weapons/armor. I wish there was a level 20+ heroic version of doing patrols with maps full of heroic mobs and huge roaming bosses that you can fight over. Or even better, some form of meaningful PvP. The PvP as of now is kinda bleh, it's fun but about nothing really and i get bored of it after 30 mins with a been there, done that feeling.

The strikes are a mixed bag. The most fun strike to me was the weekly heroic moon strike i did solo. Eventho i cheesed the end behind that rock and exploited the AI and pathing wherever i could, it was a nice challenge and at least "some" feeling of accomplishment. Oh yeah i did it solo because apparently there is no matchmaking for higher level strikes, the fuq Bungie?

As a casual shooter it's like a dream come true, BUT(!) sadly it's nowhere near as epic as it could be. I mean, i can't be the only one having visions of this game ending up all kinds of EPIC: Imagine a map like Mars where people fight over the structures WvW or Alterac Valley style. Like 20 vs 20 with a limited amount of vehicles. Add in heroic level npcs and random Bosses that you can fight over...

The only thing REALLY bothering me in this game is that the carrot is a lie: for example the endless layers of rng loot. Or the higher level mobs that you barely do damage to, but end up actually the same same as their level 1 versions once you level up - both artificial bullshit design elements that most players must find tiring and boring. I would also like to chill with clanmates or read up on those grimoire cards, but they apparently forgot to add those INTO the game. Again, the fuq?

Well, let's see what the awoken queen has to offer. If there's no carrot, maybe we'll get to clutch at straws instead.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah if they had large scale combat it would be pretty tits but most every game is following the drab 6v6 formula. Moon pvp map would be awesome for 10v10 atleast but all it is-is wasted real estate, much like having them use big maps on rumble or 3v3 game modes.

Destiny is riddled with questionable choices on top of a fantastic core game play, The story, repetitiveness, and lack of actual diversity is why its score is what it is. I didnt even play it tonight, just didnt see a reason. I know i need more ascendant shards or whatever but the event gave me a mote of light and the raid only yielded energy thus the chokehold.

The weekly events it seems they are trying to implement into the game will be its life support as the game is very shallow in its current state. I am very curious what kind of elements of gameplay will be added into the DLC, they would need to double the current strike mission amounts bc otherwise people would just leave mid mission repeatedly until they got one of the newer ones since everything else will be stale.

Grumpus and Column seem to be unaffected by the repetitive nature of the game, so im wondering what you guys are doing in your play time. I think im over 70 hours played now, maybe even 80 and i see that slowly going up for a while with nothing to aim for.

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
I know we have complained about loot enough in this thread, but seriously wtf. I did the nightfall strike with XXEXX and got a legendary glove engram. You know what that glove engram turned into? A damn blue glove piece. Seriously wtf, I would hardly call that guaranteed legendary loot as implied by the mission. XXEXX and our 3rd both got legendary weapons (the third guy already had the one he was awarded).

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The game is out almost 2 weeks now and rightnow i am still gearing up casually and having fun doing a mix of everything the game has to offer. However, i am starting to doubt the lasting power. For example, the random roaming / patrol missions is my favorite game mode so far, but sadly it's no challenge. Most of the casual side of the game is way to easy already at level 20+ in blue weapons/armor. I wish there was a level 20+ heroic version of doing patrols with maps full of heroic mobs and huge roaming bosses that you can fight over. Or even better, some form of meaningful PvP. The PvP as of now is kinda bleh, it's fun but about nothing really and i get bored of it after 30 mins with a been there, done that feeling.

The strikes are a mixed bag. The most fun strike to me was the weekly heroic moon strike i did solo. Eventho i cheesed the end behind that rock and exploited the AI and pathing wherever i could, it was a nice challenge and at least "some" feeling of accomplishment. Oh yeah i did it solo because apparently there is no matchmaking for higher level strikes, the fuq Bungie?

As a casual shooter it's like a dream come true, BUT(!) sadly it's nowhere near as epic as it could be. I mean, i can't be the only one having visions of this game ending up all kinds of EPIC: Imagine a map like Mars where people fight over the structures WvW or Alterac Valley style. Like 20 vs 20 with a limited amount of vehicles. Add in heroic level npcs and random Bosses that you can fight over...

The only thing REALLY bothering me in this game is that the carrot is a lie: for example the endless layers of rng loot. Or the higher level mobs that you barely do damage to, but end up actually the same same as their level 1 versions once you level up - both artificial bullshit design elements that most players must find tiring and boring. I would also like to chill with clanmates or read up on those grimoire cards, but they apparently forgot to add those INTO the game. Again, the fuq?

Well, let's see what the awoken queen has to offer. If there's no carrot, maybe we'll get to clutch at straws instead.
I can agree with this. I like the game quite a bit but it feels like it should be an expansion pack to some full game that already exists. To add to your list I would add that there are to many loading screens. Crazy restrictive or just flat out missing communication options. No feeling of progress. For all that it is an MMORPG the game worldfeelssmall. And MMO is about progression. Not about how many different ways you can build RNG into the game.

Column_sl

shitlord
Grumpus and Column seem to be unaffected by the repetitive nature of the game, so im wondering what you guys are doing in your play time. I think im over 70 hours played now, maybe even 80 and i see that slowly going up for a while with nothing to aim for.
Not sure what you mean, I'm at the cutting edge ,and no one has even hit the level cap yet. Not one person is fully geared yet. The Heroic mode hasn't even been beaten.
Be like saying I'm not sure what people are doing at 40 in Everquest, you are essentially just killing the same rats with more HP from the starting zone.

The poopsockers like myself will always finish stuff fast. If 3 weeks is what it takes to clear everything that is pretty good for a console game. All Bungie needs to do at that point is make a new raid every month.

I'm not saying there isn't issues with the core game itself, because there is a fuck ton they need to fix. Please start with the hackers for fucks sake.

I need a moment to talk about Warlocks tho, and I hope someone in Bungie is lurking here that is on the class balance team. I have extensive playtime on both Voidwalker, and Sunsinger.

Right now Voidwalker is fundamentally broken, and it should not be like that. All you have to do is make one minor change to make them very viable.
The whole class revolves around the energy drain mechanic which is fine by itself, but the problem is it's a melee only option. The Voidwalker gear is all str to strengthen the fact that energy drain reduces the cool downs on their grenades.

That's fine for lower levels, but in the end game where stuff one shots you instantly you are not going to get into melee range if you can help it. So Voidwalker is shit out of luck.
This has got to be changed to be like the hunters dagger. Voidwalker needs a ranged energy drain. Just have them shoot a small blast out of there hands.

Then the way you designed the class will work. Also I don't want to hear that you can spec into grenades to make the energy drain go off, because that defeats the whole mechanic entirely.

Column_sl

shitlord
None of the loot we got had any extra modifiers. Is that only from Atheon?
http://www.gosunoob.com/destiny/vaul...ass-raid-loot/

Its random fyi, you can get them off the mini bosses.

Its a class set. Look at every piece ,and they all have different modifiers for dealing with the Vault.
Normal mode set will make Heroics easier, and Heroic Set takes you to light level 30.

This will probly be important for the next raid

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider

I log on and complete all my bounties and then just do whatever untill I get bored then I switch to something else. Chest farm, engram farm, run strikes to gear up friends, pvp. I just do a lot of it.

I cant quite put my finger on why I love it so much. Its just fun at its core. I love sci fi and I love the settings. I just really enjoy it.

Also me and my budy figured out that if you have a 2 alts you can farm the daily heroic strike 3 times a day and the weekly nightfall 3 times a week netting you a ton more mats for your main.

My warlock is level 9 and when he gets level 20 he has a full set of legendary gear in the bank and the exotic gloves from the vendor.

I also have 9 exotics now.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Not sure what you mean, I'm at the cutting edge ,and no one has even hit the level cap yet. Not one person is fully geared yet. The Heroic mode hasn't even been beaten.
Be like saying I'm not sure what people are doing at 40 in Everquest, you are essentially just killing the same rats with more HP from the starting zone.

The poopsockers like myself will always finish stuff fast. If 3 weeks is what it takes to clear everything that is pretty good for a console game. All Bungie needs to do at that point is make a new raid every month.

I'm not saying there isn't issues with the core game itself, because there is a fuck ton they need to fix. Please start with the hackers for fucks sake.

I need a moment to talk about Warlocks tho, and I hope someone in Bungie is lurking here that is on the class balance team. I have extensive playtime on both Voidwalker, and Sunsinger.

Right now Voidwalker is fundamentally broken, and it should not be like that. All you have to do is make one minor change to make them very viable.
The whole class revolves around the energy drain mechanic which is fine by itself, but the problem is it's a melee only option. The Voidwalker gear is all str to strengthen the fact that energy drain reduces the cool downs on their grenades.

That's fine for lower levels, but in the end game where stuff one shots you instantly you are not going to get into melee range if you can help it. So Voidwalker is shit out of luck.
This has got to be changed to be like the hunters dagger. Voidwalker needs a ranged energy drain. Just have them shoot a small blast out of there hands.

Then the way you designed the class will work. Also I don't want to hear that you can spec into grenades to make the energy drain go off, because that defeats the whole mechanic entirely.
Perhaps but doing a raid to not be guaranteed atleast 1 piece of armor when the raid says it awards raid armor is derpy - It nets you a chance at it is all - However i agree in most aspects of what you said it just seems like so many things are so close to greatness yet continuously falls short.

Dont get me wrong, the game is awesome, but im already to the point that when i hit the playlist and i see Mars i auto leave group, and same for Phogoth sometimes since we get to him then some fool runs around up top spawning wizards like mad and just dies over and over again.

We did the nightfall strike, the cheese method...doing that shit the normal way is 100% out of the question.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What exactly is the cheese method?
You do it legit to the Phogoth room which you then clear out. Break him from his chains and hang out in the left corner behind some rocks. There is a spot you can crouch where he can't hit you while he is firing and no new mobs that spawn will come after you.

I have a sniper rifle that regents ammo, I pull left trigger to automatically sight in and then right trigger to shoot, let go and I am safe crouching again. Ridiculous cheese and easy. You do need some skill to get Ito there etc but it is broken from there.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You do it legit to the Phogoth room which you then clear out. Break him from his chains and hang out in the left corner behind some rocks. There is a spot you can crouch where he can't hit you while he is firing and no new mobs that spawn will come after you.

I have a sniper rifle that regents ammo, I pull left trigger to automatically sight in and then right trigger to shoot, let go and I am safe crouching again. Ridiculous cheese and easy. You do need some skill to get Ito there etc but it is broken from there.
That's how you cheese the heroic. For the nightfall you fight from the entrance room and back up into the room before that every time a shrieker spawns. It will despawn if you stay out of its LOS for a few seconds. The rest of the time you kill whatever adds come to you and snipe Phogoth through the narrow gap where he can't fire back.

Back on the topic of exotic bounties, anyone know if I can safely shitcan the Invective/Thorn/Bad Juju one and still have my next one have a shot at offering me Super Good Advice or Pocket Infinity? Already finished Juju on warlock, and naturally the game gave me the exact same choices on my Titan too. There's no way I'm doing either of those others for guns that shitty. I really want the fusion and MG though.

spronk

FPS noob
i posted this earlier as well but here is a dude that solos the phogos strike in nightfall mode, same strats apply to 22-26 versions. its the weekly strike until tuesday. its a different strat than NW corner rock, he hides basically behind the entrance and uses flame fusion rifles to quickly burn wizards
Destiny PS4 Nightfall The Summoning Pits Strike solo - YouTube

also in pugs ive seen people make a mistake on phogos. his "weak" point is his tummy, not his head

for me the game is fun to grind once in a while but i'm almost at 3x level 20s now (well a level 27, 25, and 18 - 25 went from 20 to 25 the second he hit 20) and gonna be slowing down after that. I have no interest in grinding raids or mats, but the weekly events are pretty cool and I enjoy the pvp. I'm glad I have it digital, playing a few hours a week is definitely fun. I wish Titanfall was on PS4, woulda loved switching back and forth between em. Its hard playing Destiny on a controller and then switching back to kbm for Titanfall.

do you guys decode purple engrams on your "main" always? can bank em and decode em on any character, not sure if its better to decode em all on one or spread the love (one character seems better to grind cryptarch levels)

also a trick for people who wanna do the treasure cave grind: start the level 5 story mission on earth (last array) in 9 or 20 heroic mode, and get to the cave. If people are there great join em, if not leave for orbit. Now whenever you start that story in the same level (9 or 20) you will get put right there. Its random what "instance" you join, so you gotta go to orbit and come back down and every time you will be in a different instance where there may be lots of people or not. That instantly puts you in the right spot though without any travel, only downside is you can't pick up patrol quests.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That's how you cheese the heroic. For the nightfall you fight from the entrance room and back up into the room before that every time a shrieker spawns. It will despawn if you stay out of its LOS for a few seconds. The rest of the time you kill whatever adds come to you and snipe Phogoth through the narrow gap where he can't fire back.
We did the nightfall the same way. Other way was too slow and we were impatient.

Column_sl

shitlord
I soloed the Nightfall for kicks so I'll tell you my adjustments to that video he posted,

If you are a warlock after your beat the first gated area run all the way to phogoths room without stopping. Make sure radiance is up.
If for some reason you die while running just self rez.

Some tips on the run. The first area with the ogre, run on the right hand side of the circle directly into the cave. then you can rest if you want.
Then run directly through the middle all the way to Phogoths door. The 2 guardians are too slow to react to you as you enter that last tunnel.

Also on the first area up to and including the first gated room, don't use Sunsinger like that fool did. Use Voidwalker for the void damage on his specials, and grenades. You can switch specs on the fly anyway.

Its pretty easy. Just buy the special ammo packs off the vendor before you go in, and make sure all your weapons have void on them

Also due to the ammo mod on the Nightfall

Primary Weapon Kills = Special Weapon ammo
Special Weapon Kills = Heavy Weapon ammo
Heavy Weapon Kills = Primary Weapon ammo

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Is there any significance to the class items that the Speaker sells for Motes of Light? Thinking along the lines of the faction class items that the PVP faction types sell that grants access to raise that faction.