Destiny

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've played pretty casually, a few hours here and there, since launch, with exception of one or two bro days that were mostly spent in Crucible. I agree that I've gotten my $60 worth already, and then some based on the criteria I use for that. There is a good chance I'll wind up buying the DLC because we have 4 or 5 people in my gaming group that play this and I'm sure the 3 of us that are meh about it will be bored and pick it up for an excuse to have a good ole fashion lan party with something we can all play. That's kind of the part that sticks in my graw though. Conformity shouldn't be the only reason I want to grab the DLC.

The RNG is a pet peeve, because I followed the game since launch, and remember the game play video they did where they killed a boss and got semi specific loot from him, referenced drop tables etc etc. I'm cranky like that, change is bad! lol That and I'm tired of getting an exotic and then getting it again 3 more times or seeing it available the week after I bought it, but with better stats... Consider my Jimmies Rustled.

All of that being said, it isn't a bad game, I just wish it had come out being more what it looked like it could have been and more like what they were showing it to be during the development process.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a feeling they are playing a long game with Destiny. Yearly expansions or standalone titles... tv series... movies... toys etc etc. The first one is probably just a calculated loss leader to establish the IP.
One way or the other I am guessing sony is pretty happy with destiny as the combo PS4 destiny pack moved a freaking shit load of units.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I've played pretty casually, a few hours here and there, since launch, with exception of one or two bro days that were mostly spent in Crucible. I agree that I've gotten my $60 worth already, and then some based on the criteria I use for that. There is a good chance I'll wind up buying the DLC because we have 4 or 5 people in my gaming group that play this and I'm sure the 3 of us that are meh about it will be bored and pick it up for an excuse to have a good ole fashion lan party with something we can all play. That's kind of the part that sticks in my graw though. Conformity shouldn't be the only reason I want to grab the DLC.

The RNG is a pet peeve, because I followed the game since launch, and remember the game play video they did where they killed a boss and got semi specific loot from him, referenced drop tables etc etc. I'm cranky like that, change is bad! lol That and I'm tired of getting an exotic and then getting it again 3 more times or seeing it available the week after I bought it, but with better stats... Consider my Jimmies Rustled.

All of that being said, it isn't a bad game, I just wish it had come out being more what it looked like it could have been and more like what they were showing it to be during the development process.
Given it's only been released in September, I'm willing to stick with it. My guess is a lot of the people who played it and said it sucked probably locusted it. The bones are there and that's the good thing. The other good thing is they are making hand over fist money right now, so there isn't any excuses about "lack of content" that should be coming. If anything given that news, they should be hiring more people to put more things out which is possible.

RNG is something that a game can always change, it's an easy fix, but it's usually not something that's the highest priority on that list as long as loot does drop. One thing we know for sure; this game won't end up like Titanfall selling for $10 for a long time to come.

Get Titanfall on PC for $10 From Amazon - GameSpot

Talk about a one-dimensional game with nothing to do, that was it yet you didn't see people complaining about that back when it dropped for the same price. It was 'zomg! I'm in a robot!"

Double standard.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was really disappointed with Titanfall. It was hyped up to all hell everywhere and I bought into it. It was cool like the first 10 hours or so, but after that you just saw how shallow it was.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Yeah I was really disappointed with Titanfall. It was hyped up to all hell everywhere and I bought into it. It was cool like the first 10 hours or so, but after that you just saw how shallow it was.
Yep. Titanfall had some good things going for it but ultimately, no single-player, no real campaigns, always just PvP even with bots mixed it. The robot was the coolest thing but it got old as well.

I don't think Destiny will end up that way because even though it's not as much content as a real MMO would have, it's all diverse... even if rehashed. There's a stupid story but you can actually follow it. There's the Crucible where you can shoot people in the face. There's raids which are standalone from either of those two. Unless someone is playing 4hrs/day as I said, there really is enough stuff for people to do but people just like to eat things as fast as they can and be first with something, or hurry up and get that weapon they see in the vendor specced out. Playing like that ruins any game regardless.

What they have planned in the future I don't know, but I'd imagine it would have to have more 'social' features to make people feel less isolated. Auction houses (maybe?), improved LFG features, larger raids that are like the events in a zone, possibly housing expansions. Stupidest part is all the ships for the loading screen. Wonder if they can make it where you can actually go into space later or at the least, go around in your ship.

I don't say "no" because even TOR was able to do those things when people said they couldn't.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The social thing is quite annoying. Its been said this is like the most silent, solo feeling multiplayer ever. They need to unlock those channels already ASAP. There is no reason to keep things silent between you and your pug strike or pvp match. I could not believe when my buddy told me that you cannot talk to anyone unless you invite them to your strike beforehand. Also why no proximity chat? Yeah people give each other shit and all that, but this is like taking a sledgehammer to pound a finish nail. I would rather take the worst to have all the good.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
My teenage son really enjoys playing this game on his Xbox One. I bought him SWTOR and WoW accounts in the past so that we could play together but he quickly lost interest in PC MMOs.

He has already suggested I buy an Xbox One for myself so we can play TESO together whenever it gets released on the Xbox One. When I watch him play Destiny, it seems more like a FPS shooter requiring twitch skills that console gamers have long mastered. As an old school PC player that only knows how to use keyboard and mouse, is there anything unique about this game that would make it worth buying an Xbox One and learning how to use it's controller device?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Look into buying a XIM4, its for us old fogeys that didnt take to the console generations. ( I was too busy playing mmos on PC) It allows you to use a mouse and keyboard with your console of choice.

Also, its fun. I dont know if I would buy a console just to play it, but it might be worth it to play with your son. Its what I do with my younger one as I have 2 ps4s. Its pretty fun playing with your kids. I wish they liked more games that I like so we could do it more often.

Funny thing that happened, I always thought that he was just an OK player from what I saw when he was playing and I was just watching, but come to find out that he is quite excellent at the game and you kind of get to learn what the kid is like outside of the regular dad/son stuff.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never bought into the Titanfall hype, not even interested for $10 bucks. I've had my fill of CoD and it's like for some time. It is one of the things that surprises me about Destiny. At it's core, it is an almost flawless game for me, I love the handling, gunplay is just right, and is the first match making team death match pvp I haven't gotten bored with in under 15 hrs, or rage quit because of stupid shit. I have noticed a ton of lag in Crucible and it always seems to be the other team, reminds me of the Halo standby'ing days. But even through that, I enjoy the hell out of Crucible. It's the mediocre "epic" story, and rpg elements that leave me wanting so much more. It is usually the opposite, great game, horrible gameplay, so Destiny is a nice treat in that regard. I do like it, and agree it is early to put a fork in it, but I am on the fence, so whatever Bungie/Activision doe going forward is going to impact my spending decisions heavily, and while it won't matter in the overall, I will be voting with my wallet pretty much permanently. So whenever Destiny 2 comes around, if they've continued to bungle this game, it will take the second coming of Christ solely to tell me Destiny 2 is awesome for me to buy it.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
My teenage son really enjoys playing this game on his Xbox One. I bought him SWTOR and WoW accounts in the past so that we could play together but he quickly lost interest in PC MMOs.

He has already suggested I buy an Xbox One for myself so we can play TESO together whenever it gets released on the Xbox One. When I watch him play Destiny, it seems more like a FPS shooter requiring twitch skills that console gamers have long mastered. As an old school PC player that only knows how to use keyboard and mouse, is there anything unique about this game that would make it worth buying an Xbox One and learning how to use it's controller device?
I bought it for my son as well. Kid cannot get enough of it. I've leveled one of his character spots with a Warlock to 24 and it's a pretty fun game overall. Graphically (if you're into that kind of thing) with a 65" 1080p screen, it's simply amazing to look at. Controls are extremely tight, I'm talking WoW level of quality... very responsive.

There is some twitch but mostly it's a lot more about cover behind objects because although the AI isn't super-advanced, they hide too and try to outflank you all the time. Mobs just don't stand out in the middle and say "shoot me". I use cover extensively; my son plays the Hunter and basically ignores that. He fights the mobs like he's PvPing (plus Hunter has insane special that's melee).

As I said, if you play it for about an hour/half everyday, you won't really get bored. That's enough time to die a few times and level a couple of times. Dailies are a mmo mechanic (my son had no idea what they were; never played an mmo) so a lot of Destiny players aren't bored because console games usually don't have them. For them it's a neat feature. For you, you'll do maybe 2-4 and call it quits after leveling.

Shame you got it on the Xbox though, the PS4 renders it flawlessly. The Xbox isn't bad but there also are little things like PS4 exclusives Xboxers don't get. The next DLC is releasing dungeon that only PS4 gets for an entire year ala Halo did with the Xbox, at which time it opens up to you guys. It's clear Bungie favors the PS4 like most companies are doing now.

Anyroad, just remember: hide a lot, duck out of cover with quick shots if you're pinned down (they do that a lot), and what Mel Gibson said... 'aim small, miss small'. Lots of mobs need headshots because they hid behind shields or only have one vulnerable point.