Destiny

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Has various game modes - but there are other people in the world with you.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
pretty sure you can hook up a keyboard/mouse to a ps4 although i am not sure you could use it to play

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Considering FFXIV for the PS4 allows you to plug in a USB kb&m and play I dont see why Destiny could not do the same if they wanted.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
If I remember right they have made it pretty clear there isn't going to be a PC version.
Destiny PC release date still alive | Product Reviews Net

Skip forward to the present though and we have some encouraging news to share. Here is what Bungie?s Lars Bakken told Eurogamer in a recent interview. When asked again about a PC version, he had this to say in response:

?I wish it was that simple. It?s pretty complicated. That doesn?t mean it can?t happen in the future, it just means it won?t happen right now. So when I?m playtesting and I?m trying to play PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PS3, that?s a lot of work ? Adding another thing on there is just crazy. It?s crazy to think of right now.?

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
They need to sell 15 million to break even, there's only 5 million next gen consoles sold, and last gen consoles are less likely to be internet connected.
There's far more than 5 million next gen consoles sold. Back in April Sony announced they had sold 7 million PS4's, and Microsoft said 5 million XBox ones were out to retailers.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I have a feeling they are playing a long game with Destiny. Yearly expansions or standalone titles... tv series... movies... toys etc etc. The first one is probably just a calculated loss leader to establish the IP.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
They said that before the game officially had a title. Activision locked in a long deal with Bungie and this initial launch is just the first stage.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't think you can 'force' people to 'connect' with an IP by throwing a ton of money at it. Nothing they've shown of the game makes me give a shit at all. People connected with Borderlands or Mass Effect because it had interesting characters/races but this is just looking rather bland.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I cant even name anyone in borderlands besides handsome jack or w/e - could give a shit about characters in games so long as the game is fun.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the game might be fun on it's own, it looks really fun from the gameplay vids they've shown. But the IP itself could be dead in the water as far as branding other products.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Has various game modes - but there are other people in the world with you.
I had somehow overlooked this until a couple of days ago. When I watched the E3 presentation last year, which is what impressed me the most, I'm not sure they mentioned what game mode they were playing at that time. I'm not getting which one is the MMO mode as there are two I believe that or cooperative multiplayer. There's a story mode and a social mode as well. Not sure why this isn't just all one game. I guess I understand the social aspect. It sounds no different than zoning into a city to talk and recruit where the other game modes are PvP and competitive.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Download took 5 minutes, update took about 30. Kid's in the game right now bopping around and giggling. Watched him punch guys in the grill, then shoot them with a .357 and that's pretty tight. Reminds me of the Smuggler in TOR kicking people in the jewels.

Overall, it looks pretty fun. I'll probably fire it up when he goes to sleep tonight... I doubt he's gonna let me kick him off of it now.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Holy hell. Not even fucking Xmas yet and WoD hasn't landed.

Activision Reports Record Quarter

"The earnings were pushed largely by Destiny, which helped to push the record quarter by generating $500 million in revenue for Activision and was the largest new video game franchise launch in history. Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said on a conference call with investors today that Destiny is well on its way to becoming a billion-dollar franchise."

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It is a very solid game on PS4, but I would never pay them twice for it. With as lack luster as the content has been so far, the grind, RNGeesus fucking christ are you kidding me loot, and being able to see at least some of the stuff that hit the cutting room floor, I'm half tempted to drop the game and not even bother buying the DLC at this point.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
It is a very solid game on PS4, but I would never pay them twice for it. With as lack luster as the content has been so far, the grind, RNGeesus fucking christ are you kidding me loot, and being able to see at least some of the stuff that hit the cutting room floor, I'm half tempted to drop the game and not even bother buying the DLC at this point.
As good as it is on PS4 (graphically/mechanically), I'm think it's worth $60 I paid. Granted I don't play more than an hour or so at a time (still into MMOs), but that time I'm on is really good. The RNG is odd, not bad. The reason it's not bad (in a real sense) is because for someone like me going into a dungeon, I just care about the dungeon itself and what I'm shooting in the face. I don't really care that I scored first or third (that's trivial, means nothing) and sometimes I get first place and shit greens and sometimes I get last place and blues.

As you said RNG is all over, but if that's the only reason someone is playing for it (loot), I can see how it can get old really fast. I see this too; people you group with run by all the stuff to get to the boss at the end, kill it then speed run again. My playstyle in this game is non-locust, so given they claim they have a 10 year plan (chuckle), it costs nothing to take your time and see how the game evolves. It hurts people who consume content and play heavily for 4hrs+ each day but not a casual player.

DLC is only $20 so when I get to the point where I've exhausted the regular stuff (I haven't even done the raid bosses yet since this game launched, just finished the story mode), I'll probably give it a go. The bones of the game are here, they just have to fix things the surrounding things people care about.