Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I played the original version when it came out and wasn't that impressed, but I really enjoyed the commentary on the director's cut. Anyone play this? I think more developers should offer something like this.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The reworked fights are fun, sadly if you are going for a no-kill playthrough, you usually have so much ammo and can afford all the boss killing upgrades so that it's just easier to shoot the bosses in the face. Missing Link is one of the best DLCs ever released.

The game sits firmly in my top 10 of best games ever.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Interesting to hear, not inspired to rebuy it though just for the DC changes however. Was a damn solid game though.

Vorph

The DC was based on a version of the game missing a whole slew of bug fixes, and they've never bothered to reapply any of those fixes once people discovered this. Getting rid of the piss-yellow fullscreen filter, redoing the boss fights, and integrating the DLC into the main game were all good ideas, but I wouldn't even give them $5 for it because of the way they just dumped it on Steam and forgot about it immediately.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Are you the one person saying it isn't? Shit is buggy as hell, has old bugs that were previous patched and new ones, and the files are gigantic.

Seems to be obvious it's an older build.

Vaclav

ST: When they did DC they based it on an earlier version of DX:HR before some of the patches they did, and they didn't bother to bring the version back up into line with the normal version when it comes to the bug fixes.

i.e. some bugs came back because they based it on an earlier version

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure the DC is a just port of the Wii U version of the game.

Citz

Silver Squire
I very much enjoyed the game. I went with a no-kill playthrough. Bosses were piss-easy by using throwing 2-3 remote explosives grouped together for a one-hit kill.

Haven't played The Missing Link yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I really enjoyed Deus Ex: HR when it came out, also +1 for the first Deus Ex!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Original Deus Ex was my favorite FPS game, I must have played it through a dozen times, trying all different storylines and different playing styles/builds.

I am playing DX:HR right now and I'm up to the Missing Link DLC (its incorporated in latter portion of the game after the 2nd trip to Hengsha). I like it a lot because it is very similar to the original Deus Ex. This is also the reason I hate it because it feels like they didnt even try to put an original thought into the game, but ripped it off scene for scene from the original Deus Ex.

First Deus Ex mission was when your boss orders you to subdue some terrorists and rescue hostages at Statue of Liberty. Same exact first mission in DX:HR - including the dialogue with the final guy who is the sympathic bad guy.

Then a bunch of similar shit happens like a mission to stop the transmission in both games

Then you go to China both times (Hengsha and Hong Kong)
Then you work with the Tongs both times (though I understand as a nod to the original since DX:HR is a prequel)
Then you infiltrate a bio company again (Versalife / TYM)
Then you infiltrate a boat and sneak around that ship for a while
Then you get taken to middle of fucking nowhere (underwater base/area 51/panchaea) for the final missions

Characters are derivatives of each other:
Zhao (CEO of TYM) is a rip off of Maggie Chow
Jaron Namir is a rip off of Walton Simons from original DX
Barrett is a rip off of Gunther from original DX
Yelena Fedorova is a rip off of Anna from original DX

It's kinda annoying how lazy these characters and plotlines are, and of course once again its the illuminati behind everything which was kinda expected

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It had been so long that I completely forgot the story line in the original game. Just had fond memories of it. Still enjoyed Revolution, regardless of the similarities in the story.

Vaclav

Pretty sure their stated intent was to use it as a reboot, wasn't it? I always thought so at least, so the similarities were excused/expected by me.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The bosses have a character ? Do you even hear them talk outside cutscenes ? They are a svastika away from the stereotypical bad guys.

If you look at it like this, of course the games are going to be similar, but maybe you need to look deeper.

You don't have a brother, as far as I know, your parents weren't horribly murdered.
Jock vs Faridah, she is actually a well developed character.
You have a past and future instead of being a blank slate.
Deus Ex bad guys were actually really well developed characters with backstories, strengths and weaknesses.
If infiltrating a docked tanker and blowing it up is the same as smuggling yourself onto a ship headed to nowhere then we are probably playing different games.
No Paris catacombs.
Pritchard is actually interesting person to talk to.
Taggart, Sandoval and augmented people going crazy are themes not present in the original game.

I agree that HR can't offer the same level of depth like the original, to say that they shamelessly ripped off the story and locations is a bit naive, they gave a few parts a lot of attention, while skimping on others, which, in my opinion, resulted in a better game. Maybe it's not as much fun to explore every single nook and cranny and you don't have that much freedom, but the game plays much better. Fuck, you can just run straight for the top level of statue of liberty in the original and ignore the whole level ...

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Bro I disagree but im on a pgone so I will post my rebuttal later

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Is the Director's Cut worth buying for $3.99 (Steam)? I have the non-directors cut I probably paid a few bucks for, just wondering if $3.99 worth paying for some much better upgraded version or some shit? Played it when it originally released for about an hour, and I was just so much more interested in other games that came out about the same time. Plus the ultra yellow tint was odd.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think it is, since it includes the DLC, which is really well made and was cut out of the original game.

Some people have worse performance and a bunch of bugs apparently resurfaced, but I never ran into any, so YMMV

Radge_sl

shitlord
Playing the original when a massively superior version is available would be foolish. Trust me, the Director's Cut is totally worth picking up. It includes the excellent DLC integrated as part of the main campaign (originally it was a random side mission selected and played from the main menu), does a ton of quality of life changes (ie, regen-ing energy), some texture overhaul, and removes the unpopular yellow tint.