Deus Ex Human Revolution: Director's Cut

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There's nothing "massively superior" about the DC.

List of bugs, missing items, etc. (Updated 31/03/2014) :: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut General Discussions

Getting rid of the piss filter and integrating the DLC into the game (if you put all your skills exactly back how they were, because using it as a respec is cheating) are the only good things about it. The revamped bosses are still dumb and nowhere near as good as the DLC boss, energy regen is even more broken and exploitable than before unless you play on the hardest difficulty, and the game is ported from the buggy-as-shit WiiU version that missed out on almost all the PC version fixes. Eidos promised a patch years ago and never delivered.

I still wouldn't give them $4 for it if you already own the original game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Among other news, Deus Ex Revision released today. From what I read, it's sort of like Black Mesa for Deus Ex - graphical upgrade and some levels improved a bit. The bad part is that it requires 64-bit OS to run and like 3 GB RAM, so I can't run it on my laptop and optimization is apparently close to non-existant. Steam exclusive, unless you do some tinkering...

Deus Ex: Revision | Deus Ex as you it before.

Vorph

The fix for getting it to work with the GOG version seems really simple:

Deus Ex: Revision - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game

1. Download the standalone installer from the official site or Mod DB.
2. Extract Deus Exe to <path-to-game>\system\
3. Delete <path-to-game>\system\Revision.exe
4. Rename deusex.exe to Revision.exe

Then again, it's only $1.39 on Steam right now anyway. Might give it a shot if I need a break from Wasteland 2 this week, it's been a while since I played through it. Not sure how I feel about them replacing the soundtrack though.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Finally getting around to finishing this out of my Steam backlog. Fuckin' scary how close this is to modern life.

Dudes. Don't ever let big tech implant "life improving" tech into your bodies. Fuck's sake. Terrifying.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Meh, I'd risk it for a Typhoon implant.

Just don't upgrade your biochip ever, you'll be fine!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've had this game for years, got it for $10 at a yard sale. What's the difference between the regular game and the director's cut? I believe the one I have is the regular version.

Just started playing it, about an hour in, and it's pretty cool. Also seems like a fairly basic shooter. Maybe in-era it was more cutting-edge. Just running around shootin' everyone, keep running out of ammo so I'm going to try a more stealth approach.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's the difference between the regular game and the director's cut?
iirc the director's cut has missing link integrated into the game instead of being a stand-alone, but it's also somehow based on an older build which means its buggier than the regular version.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

iirc the director's cut has missing link integrated into the game instead of being a stand-alone, but it's also somehow based on an older build which means its buggier than the regular version.
See posts from 2015 above -- it's a WiiU port that never got any of the patches the PC version received. They released one half-assed patch for a few things that were broken in 2013, then never touched it again.

Funny though, after all the hate it received, the one really well developed mod for the game is one that fixes the broken lighting model... and restores the piss filter to its original "glory".

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I read the rest of the thread, didn't realize it was only one page. Surprised there isn't more discussion of this game, it's pretty rad. Definitely more fun than Cyberpunk. I don't even really mind the yellow filter, it kind of gives everything a "rust" look that makes the future look dirty like it is. Also primitive since it's an early years prequel to the cleaner-looking Deus Ex. See also Terminator Salvation which pretty much does the same thing for the same reason.

Vorph

I mostly agree. I hated the filter back then but after looking at the work the guy did on the mod I changed my mind. Part of it is because the lightning model is fundamentally broken because of it being the WiiU port that wasn't upgraded to PC standards / capabilities, part of it is that the filter somehow makes it look a lot less dated. With the mod, the DC looks basically identical to how the original version looked.

Either way, the DC is garbage, and playing the original version is the way to go. I do suggest playing the DLC when you get to that point in the story though, that was about the only thing the DC got right.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of things not looking as dated, I've discovered that PS3 games look WAY better and more passable on an LG C1 than they did on my earlier 4K TVs. Once I upgraded past 50 inches, PS3 games looked terrible on my two 55 inch TVs from 2015 and 2016. Now I've got this new C1 from 2021 and suddenly PS3 games look way more streamlined and non-pixelated. Some of them could almost pass for PS4...if you're sitting kind of far away. The kicker is that I also went to 65'' with the C1, so PS3 should be way worse than on the previous TVs, yet it's better.

Combine that with using a PS5 DualSense controller plugged into the PS3, and I'd say the PS3 could experience a revival of sorts if one wants to go back and finish things they missed on it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
See posts from 2015 above -- it's a WiiU port that never got any of the patches the PC version received. They released one half-assed patch for a few things that were broken in 2013, then never touched it again.
Did these guys end up working on the GTA remaster?

• 1Worf

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
It was a solid game but philosophically and story-wise it was a step down from deus ex 1.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Couple questions if anyone wants to answer 'em:

-How do I get more bullets? Hardly have any, and enemies drop less ammo than they take to defeat. Found some in the shop and it was 100 a bullet, with a limit of 5. So I got 5 from there. Geezus. Does the game just really want me to use stealth kills?

-Went for the silent movement skills first so I can get the drop on enemies and assassinate them more easily. Going after the Defense+ skills next. Do I have the right idea?

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Umm what type of bullets? I think I ran around with a max upgraded crossbow and revolver, and never really ran out of ammo for them. Also put everything into gun skills and upgrades

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Couple questions if anyone wants to answer 'em:

-How do I get more bullets? Hardly have any, and enemies drop less ammo than they take to defeat. Found some in the shop and it was 100 a bullet, with a limit of 5. So I got 5 from there. Geezus. Does the game just really want me to use stealth kills?

-Went for the silent movement skills first so I can get the drop on enemies and assassinate them more easily. Going after the Defense+ skills next. Do I have the right idea?
You're really expected to rely on stealth a lot, even if you don't use it exclusively. There isn't enough ammo to play the game like Doom.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
You're really expected to rely on stealth a lot, even if you don't use it exclusively. There isn't enough ammo to play the game like Doom.
Not only that but you get more skill point rewards for silent take downs and not killing people.

Which is another regression from Deus EX imo. There the incentive not to kill people came from the story itself when you find out the "terrorist" are more or less the good guys.