Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It looks great, but the czech at the start was really bothering me for some reason
biggrin.png
It's not like it was that bad, but it felt so out of place with mos other stuff still in english ...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Looks a tad too futuristic. Hope every location doesnt look like it was built within the last 5 years.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Come on, there was a brief picture of the Prague castle, that thing was built 500 years ago
biggrin.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Looks a tad too futuristic. Hope every location doesnt look like it was built within the last 5 years.
I was a little put off by them setting it 2029, give that that's only 14 years away, but I guess their hands are tied with the original being set in the 2050s. This will have approximately a 0% effect on my enjoyment of the game, however.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Eidos just had a big press day recently where they let a bunch of people play for a few hours. PC Gamer seems rather impressed.

Highlights for me are:

More detailed environments
Better graphics (HR looked extremely dated when it came out)
More voice acting/ambient conversations
Non-lethal alternatives for previously lethal only augs (for example typhoon launches tranquilizer darts)

Mankind Divided is shaping up to be the best Deus Ex yet - PC Gamer

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
How much of HR really needed changing ? Bosses, maybe a bit more depth in the skill department or to fix all the waiting for your energy bar to regenerate. That's it. It'd be nice if they could pack in as much content as the original one, but given today's graphical requirements, I think most people can forgive them that one.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There was quite a bit that had room for improvement, but I'd still say it was an superior/excellent game when it came out in 2011. It seems like they got more money (or knew where it was better spent) this time around. The engine was laughably pathetic for a 2011 game. Maybe they felt like it would be nostalgic since the original Deus Ex's engine was also pretty substandard in 2000?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking forward to playing a drinking game with how many times they will mention money problems in the director's cut, let's hope they didn't get too much!

I honestly never felt like DX:HR had outdated graphics or engine. I could probably install it today and be satisfied.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I honestly never felt like DX:HR had outdated graphics or engine. I could probably install it today and be satisfied.
Maybe I'm less tolerant (and you're more tolerant) of such things, but the lack of polygons, complex shapes, simple lighting, and low res textures in DX:HR really stand out to me when I look at other games that also released in 2011. I took a screenshot from the first page of results for all the games, and they're not all equal in terms of quality, but you get the idea:

Arkham City

rrr_img_113565.jpg

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

rrr_img_113566.jpg

Skyrim

rrr_img_113567.jpg

And finally, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

rrr_img_113568.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Might be my mind fooling me, but I swear DX looked better than that ...

The Batman picture is press crap.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm really hoping the world doesn't look like it was all built in the last 5 years.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The stated reason was tuning and iteration. If I had to guess, I'd say they didn't want to release too close to Tomb Raider (same publisher) and the new Far Cry. August is historically slow for game releases. That being said, I'm not an insider; I'm just spitballing.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
IIRC the last Deus Ex also released in similar window and I don't think it hurt sales at all.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I can wait. I agree that it's probably to avoid competition with these other adventure games.