Dexter: New Blood

Fucker

Log Wizard
I was actually thinking of you in this thread a few weeks ago when I learned they were going to kill Dexter. I was going to ask if you were prepared for all outcomes.

I presumed as a fan you would feel pretty ripped off. As mentioned, regardless of what you think of this ending versus the lumberjack....this was rushed.

Showtime execs said they want to see binge watch numbers before they commit to any more Dexter. Showrunner Clyde Phillips said he's down for any Dexter Showtime offers him-- and will continue to produce and write for Dexter series if Showtime orders a new series.

The showrunner explicitly said he will drop any project for Showtime. So the ball is in Showtime's court regarding another Dexter series. He's just waiting for the greenlight and said he'd instantly jump on it as his highest priority. But the showrunner said Showtime wants to see some total viewer numbers in the coming 3-4 weeks. I guess live initial broadcast views are just mediocre. If people can't binge, they don't watch.

And for the record. Michael C. Hall was told about Dexter's death in the first meeting before he signed any papers. He signed on from day 1 to kill Dexter and was complicit in it.
I don't get emotionally involved in shows. I knew this would suck. I hoped it wouldn't, but....don't care either way.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Reactions to a Harrison series are all negative. I'm guessing they'd need to reboot a new serial killer and rename the show.

Even if Harrison was starring, you can't call it Dexter. I guess if you jam Michael C. Hall in as a ghost you might get away with it.

1641794747744.png

Lumberjack fans spoke up

1641794794348.png

1641794848164.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm just glad they ended it, and with an ending with some emotional and ethical weight to it, rather than just letting Dexter keep getting away with... murder.

gak

<Gold Donor>
After the anti-CIS white men monologue to start the episode I'm just glad Dexter's son didn't side with BLM over his own father... oh wait.

blm.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well that final episode ruined the whole season and made this season in general pretty pointless. The Chief was trying to track down a mass murder for 20 years but couldn’t figure it out. Yet figures out Dexter and his whole story in 5 seconds. Give me a break. This was terrible. They should of just let it end with the final season.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Episodes 3-9 top 3 dexter seasons. I'll just pretend I didn't watch episode 10 and believe that Dexter left Harrison there for LA after killing Kurt. Harrison stays behind to feel normal. Much better ending. Like I said before, not in a million years does this chick solve BHB, and there was zero reason for him to kill Logan. He would have walked.

• 1Solidarity

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Something should have wrapped back to the red herring. Just abruptly dropping that when it was no longer needed was terrible writing.
Police chief's daughter should have ended up doing something stupid to stop gas pipeline guy that lead to a bunch of people dying in the past. Harrison learns the code and wants to live a normal life and go off with her but she just persists with wanting to do this thing again. Dexter is in lockup and Harrison has to kill chief lady's daughter to follow the code. Harrison puts chief lady's daughter into the menagerie of victims and disappears. Bautista comes to town and sits down with Dexter and we get resolution for two characters losing people that they loved. BHB killings start up again while Bautista and police chief lady are trying to pin it all on Dexter and Dexter goes free. Dexter doesn't even get to be a monster anymore and is just completely broken having to live the rest of his life in the hell of pretending to be normal to cover for Harrison. Close things out with Dexter line dancing with all of his victims.

Fucker

Log Wizard
The point was to end it.
It already ended.

See...the best part of any great character is that they never betray their origins or their being. Breaking Bad was good in part because the characters never did this...and this extends to Sopranos and The Wire. The characters stayed true to themselves ALWAYS. All these shows ended exactly the way they should have.

For Dexter, how many times did we get told The Code...season after season after season. The most intersting part of Dexter wasn't that he was a murfered, but that he adhered to The Code. It defined him, and not stabbing people.

This last season, there was no code. No real inner dialogue...no inner tension, so self evaluation and zero conflict between the inner good and evil is what made the premise of the show so good to begin with.

And for fucks sakes...none of the original crew were in this show. I loved the color commentary that was Angel and Masuka and Deb. Sure, we briefly got Deb, but she was out of character and not herself.

Instead we got an improbable police chief and some random other characters and a serial killer that was about as dangerous as a brillo pad.

They REALLY blew it with this season.

THE CODE MOTHERFUCKERS. They forgot THE CODE.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It already ended.

See...the best part of any great character is that they never betray their origins or their being. Breaking Bad was good in part because the characters never did this...and this extends to Sopranos and The Wire. The characters stayed true to themselves ALWAYS. All these shows ended exactly the way they should have.

For Dexter, how many times did we get told The Code...season after season after season. The most intersting part of Dexter wasn't that he was a murfered, but that he adhered to The Code. It defined him, and not stabbing people.

This last season, there was no code. No real inner dialogue...no inner tension, so self evaluation and zero conflict between the inner good and evil is what made the premise of the show so good to begin with.

And for fucks sakes...none of the original crew were in this show. I loved the color commentary that was Angel and Masuka and Deb. Sure, we briefly got Deb, but she was out of character and not herself.

Instead we got an improbable police chief and some random other characters and a serial killer that was about as dangerous as a brillo pad.

They REALLY blew it with this season.

THE CODE MOTHERFUCKERS. They forgot THE CODE.

Even if you guzzled the Clyde Phillips semen and were fully enjoying this mini series.....

That Logan kill was a shark jump if I ever saw one. It was par for the course. A random killing of an innocent for absolutely no reason.

Fuck them for not dragging it out to season 2 and having Batista interrogate and also relate to Dexter, both of them having great loss. Another shark jump. "Yeah forget about that Batista showdown, just kidding"

Angela had no time to even emotionally react to anything.

He's the BHB, she's romantically involved. Where's the fucking scenes???? Come on man did you write these characters or not? If you're in production and you realize you need another season, ask for it. Don't shoehorn it and destroy your story.

Another shark jump.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
That Logan kill was a shark jump if I ever saw one. It was par for the course. A random killing of an innocent for absolutely no reason.

There's a lot to complain about with this, but I'm going to disagree the Logan thing is one of them.

We have no basis for saying that was a shark jump. We've never seen Dexter in full-blown "I'm going away for life" panic mode. In the context of a small-town police chief magically connecting all of the dots to him being BHB (this was fucking stupid), the Logan thing makes sense. He also did try to have Logan give him the keys so as to not hurt him beforehand. Logan made the choice to draw his gun and fire instead.

Dexter even getting to the point that killing Logan was necessary is the shark jump. But in the given terrible context... it fits just fine IMO.

Cybsled

In season 2, Dexter wrestled with the Doakes dilemma.

I mean, at his core Dexter was a psychopath that had direction for his urges. He went cold turkey and got a taste of his drug and flat out started to loosen his code adherence to get that high again. Then Harrison gets into the picture and parental instinct starts to fuck with code logic (protect offspring).

It may not be satisfying, but it isn’t totally illogical.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
There's a lot to complain about with this, but I'm going to disagree the Logan thing is one of them.

We have no basis for saying that was a shark jump. We've never seen Dexter in full-blown "I'm going away for life" panic mode. In the context of a small-town police chief magically connecting all of the dots to him being BHB (this was fucking stupid), the Logan thing makes sense. He also did try to have Logan give him the keys so as to not hurt him beforehand. Logan made the choice to draw his gun and fire instead.

Dexter worked in law enforcement. He would have known the case she had wouldn't hold up. They did a poor job selling the "going away for life" thing. That's mainly why I see it as a shark jump. They had nothing on him and Dexter was panicking.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Dexter worked in law enforcement. He would have known the case she had wouldn't hold up. They did a poor job selling the "going away for life" thing. That's mainly why I see it as a shark jump. They had nothing on him and Dexter was panicking.

Yeah that's what I said. The case was going to magically hold up because the writers wanted Angela to be a prescient super-goddess of crime solvering in this instance, despite not having a fucking clue on the Kurt murders for years. So Dexter's character was responding to the bullshit context they contrived.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Technically he could still be alive. They pulled the whole comic book trope. You see him "die" but theres never a confirmation or funeral. So he could be written back for another season. The show is so terrible they would 100% do this.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Technically he could still be alive. They pulled the whole comic book trope. You see him "die" but theres never a confirmation or funeral. So he could be written back for another season. The show is so terrible they would 100% do this.

Showrunner said he's 100% dead. But of course he could go back on it if the backlash hits and Showtime says binge numbers are high and orders another season.

It'd be pretty stupid though to affirm he's completely dead and then go back on it.