Dexter: New Blood

Khane

Got something right about marriage
A mini series is basically just a several part movie with a concrete ending. A tv series is usually just a flow of events surrounding a certain character that may have a resolution at the end of each episode. The dexter tv show had a serialized format, but it also was a typical tv show format introducing characters and plots resolved at the end of each episode

Chuk, nothing was resolved at the end of each episode of Dexter. There was nothing procedural at all in Dexter. The seasons were mostly self contained, at first anyway, but they certainly were not procedural.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Chuk, nothing was resolved at the end of each episode of Dexter. Shows that have episode encapsulation like that are called "procedural", not serial. My god.
you never watched Dexter then. he had new "prey" in every episode, new stories about why they had to die. these stories affected his overall seasonal plot at times, but at the end of each episode they ended up in a plastic bag in the ocean.

Khane

you never watched Dexter then. he had new "prey" in every episode, new stories about why they had to die. these stories affected his overall seasonal plot at times, but at the end of each episode they ended up in a plastic bag in the ocean.

First of all, he didn't have new prey in every episode. There were very few episodes that introduced a new character and storyline and focused solely on that storyline, and then concluded that storyline by the end of the episode. Almost none.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
There were definitely one episode and done kills, but most all were used in some way to advance the larger story.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
First of all, he didn't have new prey in every episode. There were very few episodes that introduced a new character and storyline and focused solely on that storyline, and then concluded that storyline by the end of the episode. Almost none.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The point being they could call it season 9 or a mini-series without changing anything in the actual show so it's nothing but a marketing buzzword

Khane

Did you even read that website chuk? Or watch the actual show?

EDIT: Why am I arguing with Chuk? Fuck me. Have a good weekend everyone!

Fucker

Log Wizard
A bit thin in places, and the CGI is probably the worst I have ever seen.

But, none of that matters.

Dexter is back!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm downloading it now. a 2.69 gig version. Surprisingly, it's flagged as Dexter Season 9, and not Dexter New Blood Season 1.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Very clear in the first 15 minutes that it's not Season 9. However it is rushed and formulaic and quirky in somewhat of a nostalgic Dexter fashion.

It didnt get shut off-- but if you have a premium lineup of shows, it doesn't make the cut.

By no means does it make the cut....

This one is for die hard dexter fans only-- and right now, of that group of people, I don't see half of you finishing this mini series. Even for oldschool Dexter diehards, this one doesn't fit into a 2021+ lineup.

There's just too much competition.

It showed it's age.

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My opinion hasn't changed after sleeping on it.

It's for the diehards, and the formula and storyline backdrops are stale. It just doesn't make sense to do a mini series and reimagine Dexter when Season 9 Miami would have been more interesting than this.

The Harrison thing being frontloaded felt rushed and forced. That's the difference between a new season and a mini series. They are going to frontload a lot of plot, and let's just say it it uninspired and uninteresting in its delivery as a result.

It's fallen flat, and I doubt anyone here finishes this mini series.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I went in with extremely low expectations, actively wanting to hate it, and I actually think the first 2 episodes were pretty good. That said, it is missing a lot of the quirky charm of the best seasons of early Dexter, but it's definitely not bad and could potentially be at least as good as seasons 3 or 4.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I went in with extremely low expectations, actively wanting to hate it, and I actually think the first 2 episodes were pretty good. That said, it is missing a lot of the quirky charm of the best seasons of early Dexter, but it's definitely not bad and could potentially be at least as good as seasons 3 or 4.
The cheap, low-rent production is a hindrance, and his love interest is a waste of time. You are right, though...it has no charm.

Probably the worst thing are the rehaseshes of conversations that Dex had with Harry, which at least tried to be thoughtful and measured....and have been replaced with a shrieking, psychotic non-Deb version of Deb. Harry and Deb have always been the better part of Dex, and to see Deb reduced to a crazy wailing banshee instead of a counterwight to Dex's demons...no thanks. I'll watch it to the end, but already I don't care about the show.