Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know how you can claim D3 had a good story with a straight face at all. I only played the beta up to level 13 or whatever it was, but holy shit the cringe from Skeleton King was enough for me to never look at it again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I really don't see anything wrong with D3's graphics at all. I really liked the graphics. I see some people calling them cartoony but I just don't see it that way. Cartoony graphics to me is more in the lines of Torchlight, WoW and Dragon Quests games. Bright, colorful and exaggerated body features. If D3 would of been more dark and brooding would people still call it cartoony?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm trying to think back to D2 vs D3 and while I fondly remember playing D2 for... way too many hours, the amount of loot lost due to stutter/disconnects/no shared stash/un-retrievable corpses, original (pre LoD) leveling being a horrible mess, stamina bar, dying to unseen things (fetish darts, gloams)... I wouldn't say it was as good as people make it out to be comparatively.

The talent tree's are definitely better, especially after they made it so they synched with other skills, but it still pretty much came down to the same item driven builds (Titans, frozen orb etc). You can talk to the variations you could make, but there was still the cookie cutter 'best' which was usually 3-4 synchronized skills to your 1 main damage spender + extra/fluff.

As far as story/scenery, they both have their charms. D2's astral space, act 2 tomb style crawls and descent into hell stick out in my memory but the rest seemed kind of dull.

Laughing as I write this, because D3 launch was bruuuuutal. White mobs one shotting you at 60, but when I compare... rune worded out level 85-90 heros being one shot by gloam swarms offscreen, not really different :mad:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Intentionally poorly lit screens with a mix of dark art styles contrasted by big flashing showy numbers all over the screen and comical looking monsters that appear to be trying hard to not be horrific all make for a shitty looking game IMO. The models look like shit and have texture resolutions that somehow look as dated as its predecessor. The environmental design would have looked nice if it wasn't seen through a layer of hazy graphic filters and constrained within a claustrophobic viewing port brought on by the edge-dimming.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I really don't see anything wrong with D3's graphics at all. I really liked the graphics. I see some people calling them cartoony but I just don't see it that way. Cartoony graphics to me is more in the lines of Torchlight, WoW and Dragon Quests games. Bright, colorful and exaggerated body features. If D3 would of been more dark and brooding would people still call it cartoony?

D3 style was not that bad. Graphics were still a weak spot though. The game appears decent if you are taking in the whole screen. But if you look closer at something specific it does look like shit, the textures are very basic. Easily worse than WoW from the same time, which simply shouldn't be the case for a much newer game with a more limited player and environment burden.

It's really something I also dislike about PoE, but since that was made on a charity budget and the game excels in most other aspects it is easier to forgive the graphics. I hope they update the player models at some point instead of giving water surfaces their fifth re-do.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope they update the player models at some point

Jonathan Rogers (tech director at GGG) has already confirmed this is happening. They've hired an entire team of people whose job for like the past year has been to re-rig items to the new character models. Should be dropping next year, I think we'll get a 3.6 and then go to 4.0 but I could be wrong.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Jonathan Rogers (tech director at GGG) has already confirmed this is happening. They've hired an entire team of people whose job for like the past year has been to re-rig items to the new character models. Should be dropping next year, I think we'll get a 3.6 and then go to 4.0 but I could be wrong.
That's awesome, that's been my biggest hang up with PoE.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They talked about that issue specifically in the same podcast he mentioned the new character models. Jonathan hinted that in the new system it's definitely possible to choose the gender of your character, but didn't say if it was a direction they were likely to go in.

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
D3 story was OK the first time.
But man, FUCK whoever had the bright idea to make you run through it 4 times per character.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Luclin 2.0 ?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The level of competition for firsts in PoE is far more advanced than in Diablo 3, good luck.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you can even hit T15 maps in Hardcore in your first league, I'll be very highly impressed.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I will come in your silly poe game and smash you just like i've been smashing rank 1 wd in d3 since inception

I wondered where I had witnessed your brand of hubris-soaked faggotry before and the realized that you went full retard in the politics and Michael Brown thread.

Please stay away from PoE, Diablo 3 and Blizzard definitely deserve you.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users