Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The blizzard diablo forums are fucking hilarious right now. I can't tell if it's full of super massive trolls or if there's people that seriously like the auction house?

There's a guy who actually made a post that the fun of diablo 3 is knowing that at any point an item could drop that you could sell for $250. He was promptly flamed into oblivion for 10+ pages.

Shit you got better odds of winning the powerball lottery than getting an item that sells for 250 bucks in D3 anyways.
There probably are a lot of people who continue to play that actually do enjoy the rmah. You have to remember, a lot of the ones that don't (me for one), abandoned ship and could give one shit about d3 forums.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I really doubt the margins on the RMAH made them absurd amounts of anything. Many people have done very realistic mathematical approximations and there's no way it was particularly profitable for Blizzard after the initial buy in.

They did a cost/benefit analysis and came to the conclusion that more people might actually buy the expac if they advertised this as a major feature. Blizzard is always going to make the largest share of their money on box sales.

I still think this is bad. This is like the United States saying "Well, the Fed/SEC suck at their jobs, so we're just going to go back to the barter system." This also hands the economy over to criminals and scammers. The economy doesn't just go away because they choose to close down the legitimate markets.
There are many ways they can preserve the/a economy in game without a one click buy it now to win D3 button.

It's funny that people used to always jump on SOE in Everquest for that. Remember that image with the loot and it asking for your Visa number? Everyone knew then this kinda thing was shit -- and nothing has changed. Game economies work just fine. The balance is some level of player interaction -- but it should be convenient.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
In light of the expansion announcement and having more time on my hands, I picked up the console version of D3 about a week ago. My main character is about 1/4 through Act 3 and so far I've found four legendaries. Is this unheard of in the PC version? I haven't followed the thread in anyway so this is a legitimate question. On top of that, 3 out those 4 were legitimately massive upgrades and pertained to my specific character very well.

Dudebro_sl

shitlord
I've found less than 15 legendaries on 3 level 60 characters on pc. So if you are still in normal on act 3, ya that's pretty good.

Oh, and every single one was trash.

regret_sl

shitlord
Yeah, especially at release, every legendary I found was complete garbage. It was only slightly compensated for by the fact all the other loot I found was also utter garbage with less affixes. OTOH, I only had to farm one chest with broken ass smoke screen so it's not like I was putting any effort into it.

These days I think the drop rate your experiencing is still significantly better than the PC version. A few months back I used a couple hundred million I still had laying around to buy a decent set of monk gear and the drop rate was fairly craptastic at every MP level.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, especially at release, every legendary I found was complete garbage. It was only slightly compensated for by the fact all the other loot I found was also utter garbage with less affixes. OTOH, I only had to farm one chest with broken ass smoke screen so it's not like I was putting any effort into it.

These days I think the drop rate your experiencing is still significantly better than the PC version. A few months back I used a couple hundred million I still had laying around to buy a decent set of monk gear and the drop rate was fairly craptastic at every MP level.
At the begining of Act 3 and between my wife and I on our first playthrough we got about 20 legendaries.

We both play each scenario twice though.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Found 5 legendaries today. All of them complete trash. But I've never found a legendary until tonight. So at least I got some drops?!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Found 5 legendaries today. All of them complete trash. But I've never found a legendary until tonight. So at least I got some drops?!
When I came back after a long hiatus and they improved the drops somewhat, it was great to see all these legendaries drop. Felt good man. But then you realize that they are all terrible and then... what's the point?

as far as the auction house goes, I am really kind of ambivalent about it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I am really having a hard time how anyone thought the AH (in any form) was good. It tanked the idea of how you played Diablo; the team themselves said certain things were not implemented/changed because of the AH. D3 was less what Diablo was because of the AH. How was that in any way, a good thing, and how is it, in any way, a bad thing that they are throwing in the towel?

And yea, I imagine they aren't losing much revenue, considering how people just are done with D3 because of the AH. It's empirical but I'm seeing a lot of people willing to give D3 a try with the AH gone, so I imagine this is a good move all around.
Because you can keep the AH without having to keep the design decision made in reaction to it. If they kept it around, think of it as a trade facilitator, that's all.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this is marvel's dark reign come to life... you all know that, right? one bad guy pulls a team of bad guys together to impersonate good guys. then they go around CAUSING problems with one team of villians, and then the fake heroes come in and save the day. so everyone is like, OH THE DARK AVENGERS ARE HEROES!

they took diablo's iconic name and purposely tanked it with bad loot and the AH. KNOWING that they'd make a TON of money right off the bat. that would fund them until the next phase, releasing d3 on the console. at which point, they demonstrate that they can fix things by making better loot and then announcing the removal of the AH. which leads to everyone going, OH THE DARK AVENGERS ARE HEROES!

... i think that means Jay Wilson is Norman Osborn...

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
this is marvel's dark reign come to life... you all know that, right? one bad guy pulls a team of bad guys together to impersonate good guys. then they go around CAUSING problems with one team of villians, and then the fake heroes come in and save the day. so everyone is like, OH THE DARK AVENGERS ARE HEROES!

they took diablo's iconic name and purposely tanked it with bad loot and the AH. KNOWING that they'd make a TON of money right off the bat. that would fund them until the next phase, releasing d3 on the console. at which point, they demonstrate that they can fix things by making better loot and then announcing the removal of the AH. which leads to everyone going, OH THE DARK AVENGERS ARE HEROES!

... i think that means Jay Wilson is Norman Osborn...
I think that means you are giving them too much credit.

j00t

I think that means you are giving them too much credit.
maybe... but it's a whole lot more interesting than what is probably the truth. a bunch of people who fell in love with their own name and have ridden the coattails of their success for so long that they don't have any idea what's fun anymore. so in order to succeed they need to troubleshoot with trial and error how to make a diablo game fun.

Argarth

On the verandah
maybe... but it's a whole lot more interesting than what is probably the truth. a bunch of people who fell in love with their own name and have ridden the coattails of their success for so long that they don't have any idea what's fun anymore. so in order to succeed they need to troubleshoot with trial and error how to make a diablo game fun.
As long as they FINALLY get it right, and I'm still alive to enjoy it. Not ideal, but comfortably beats the alternative.

j00t

yeah, to be fair, i still greatly enjoy d3. admittedly i only play a few hours a month (if that). i only have 1 lvl 60 character and he's not even that well geared. well enough to do like, inferno mp 3 or so but that's it. my wife and i will play our lvl ~45 toons every couple of months but that's about it.

so, i still greatly enjoy it, but i have INCREDIBLY limited exposure to it.

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Diablo general forums right now are fucking unreadable. Can't believe how much time people are spending defending the AH, saying its the only reason they play.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I won't quit the game because they got rid of the AH, but I see why people are pissed. They may be less upset if Loot 2.0 delivers and you find lots of quality, usable items such that the AH feels less important. However, the GAH especially is a nice way to facilitate P2P trades without sitting in a trade channel all day.

I don't think a barter system works as well for D3 because D2 had an accidental default currency (SoJ). Maybe a certain grade of gem will become the default currency in D3 and it will work out. Hard to say.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I honestly can't tell if those kids on that forum are trolling, or if they're legitimately retarded irl. Woooow.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Soooo... people are bitching cause now the have to actually work for their gear instead of decking their characters out in 15 mins?