Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Needless

Toe Sucker
Pretty much, and the fact that they can't flip the AH to make easy, effortless money, or sell their sweet skorn for 50 bucks.
So basically the kids that don't actually play Diablo, for what Diablo is supposed to be.

Good riddance.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yes. D3 has the best combat in hack n slash to my knowledge, the mix of 6 abilities, smoothness and joy of seeing bits of enemies fly across the screen are unmatched. Not getting rid of shit that gets in the way or that lets you skip it is a sin.

Despite Auction House Removal, Diablo Staying Online
I like the headline, it reminds me that even one of the most interesting gaming sites can be retarded (and not just the comment section). D3 online plays smoother than TL2 offline ...

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I may reinstall just to see if D3 still has that awful juddering I had with my 560ti now that I have a 770. Vsync fixed it but fuck dropping to 30 fps.

And I did like playing the game. It was the mountains of useless loot that turned me off.

How is it even possible to get an item worth selling now that the AH is fucking flooded with thousands of versions of the same item? It was bad within a few months, I can't imagine it now.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Am I the only one that thinks it's an over reaction to pull the auction house entirely?

I don't mind if the RMAH is gone, but to remove the gold auction house seems a bit extreme when other measures could be implemented to fight the problem of "killing monsters should be the way you get your loot".

Personally, I don't have the time or desire to sit around attempting to trade with other people, I enjoyed being able to find items that fit my character and then quickly get back into the game. At high end, this became a bit of a trap, but I would propose different solutions like bind on equip and pickup items, ethereals, a more robust crafting system that produces some of the best bind on equip items - and maybe an achievement based token purchase system similar to what we see in many MMOs.

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
The auction house is pretty much incompatible with a game in which normal players can hope to accomplish anything substantial. If everyone uses the auction house, you have to tune the game around what is available there. But what is available there will always far surpass what is available in game, because bots run 24/7 and you don't. So you are either forced to participate in the auction house or stop progressing.

It was pretty obvious this would happen before the game launched, and I had hoped that Blizzard would implement some kind of mechanic that made it more or less impossible for bots to play the game. Of course, that hope was pretty misplaced since doing that would have cut into their dreams of WoW-like profits. There are some pretty smart people working at Blizzard, and I don't doubt they knew what was coming. They just wanted to structure the game such that progressing meant buying blizzard-bucks and collecting bot-farmed gear from the auction house.

In that sense, its a lot like the free-to-play games you see on iOS/Android. You technicallycanprogress on your own, but if you really want to get to the top you need to buy-in to the premium resources. The problem is, Blizzard forgot that the game has to actually be fun and have real psychological incentives or few people will care enough to get to the top.

Argarth

On the verandah
I may reinstall just to see if D3 still has that awful juddering I had with my 560ti now that I have a 770. Vsync fixed it but fuck dropping to 30 fps.
I've recently loaded it up again because of all the news, and approx a year away from the game.

i7-2600K/GTX570/SSD, so not even close to latest tech. Playing from Australia, and smooth as silk @ constant 60FPS w/Vsync 1920x1200 and all settings maxed.
(edit: I think a SSD is pretty much a requirement to avoid any texture-load stutter; noticed a massive difference moving it from my HD to the SSD)

Needless

Toe Sucker
Am I the only one that thinks it's an over reaction to pull the auction house entirely?

I don't mind if the RMAH is gone, but to remove the gold auction house seems a bit extreme when other measures could be implemented to fight the problem of "killing monsters should be the way you get your loot".

Personally, I don't have the time or desire to sit around attempting to trade with other people, I enjoyed being able to find items that fit my character and then quickly get back into the game. At high end, this became a bit of a trap, but I would propose different solutions like bind on equip and pickup items, ethereals, a more robust crafting system that produces some of the best bind on equip items - and maybe an achievement based token purchase system similar to what we see in many MMOs.
Diablo != WoW

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Diablo != WoW
D2 also had plenty of farming and RMT.

Loot is currently too constrained in D3, making the AH the most viable upgrade by far. In D2, dropped loot was fine for progression & fun, but trading (and RWT) happened with very rare items or very top-end rolls on items. This is what Loot 2.0 should bring to D3. Trading and RMT will always occur, regardless of whether they take away the in-game AHs.

The hate for the AH is all on Blizzard for fucking up itemization in a game that revolves around items. With no AH, you'll remember just how much you hate trade channels when you want to swap a nice drop for something more useful to you.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The biggest issue is that the itemization system itself sucks. There's an incredibly narrow definition of what a good item is: All resist + primary stat + vitality + whatever the 3 best mods that can go in that slot are. And this is basically consistent across all 5 classes.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
With loot 2.0 the gear is supposed to be tailored to the class. A monk shouldn't be getting int or str gear drops. That's how it's in the console version. Plus loot drops like crazy. As long I'm getting good drops that can be used as upgrades trading won't be that needed unless I want to twink an alt. If the console is a good indication how the pc version will plus no AH I'll be happy.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm not huge on the whole.. 99% of the loot you see is tailored for that character.. sucks for gearing an alt, but if they implement a decent trading system then it shouldn't be too bad.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
With loot 2.0 the gear is supposed to be tailored to the class. A monk shouldn't be getting int or str gear drops. That's how it's in the console version. Plus loot drops like crazy. As long I'm getting good drops that can be used as upgrades trading won't be that needed unless I want to twink an alt. If the console is a good indication how the pc version will plus no AH I'll be happy.
Right, but if all you're getting is a bunch of boring +gooder loot then it's still the same boring game. Eventually you will hit a point where the odds on dropping anything more +gooder than what you already have for all your slots are very low. In fact, you'll just hit that point much faster with loot 2.0 And then you'll need some market to search for upgrades after that point. And now that market will be controlled by the third party again.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

I'd hope you'd be the only one, but this thread shows that you aren't.

What is so hard to understand about the concept of relativity combined with a nation-wide linked auction house? It doesn't fucking matter what they do with itemization or drop-rates or quality of drops. NO MATTER WHAT, every time you get an item from a monster, there is a better version of that on the auction house (price is irrelevant). The AH completely and utterly undermines a game like this, even that designer on the left in the short video knew that, and I had thought Blizzard didn't have any intelligent designers anymore (although there's a good chance he simply parroted that line from any number of intelligent criticisms of D3).

As soon as there is no AH, no way to be instantly connected with an extra-game source of the best items, all of your own drops suddenly become relevant in and of themselves. Suddenly your best drops, which might be middling shit on the AH, are ... wait for it ...your best drops. So you fucking use them, and they feel good to use, because they're the best fucking items you have, OMG! Then when you continue and find yet another upgrade, it again feels good, because when it drops you aren't immediately hit with the mental image of an AH search screen where everything on there is way better than this thing that just dropped. Obviously this paragraph is true only when the game is designed around no AH. If all they did was remove the AH and not revamp itemization (Loot 2.0 or whatever fucking stupid thing they're calling it hue hue), then this would only be true for a short while, and then you'd hit the inevitable frustrating point in Inferno where you are having a hard time finding good drops, and progress is also tougher than it should be. I know, because I lived it. I never used the AH, and it was great fun, until I hit overtuned shit that became an obnoxious slog (and I was HC, no less, which made me risk averse), and when a full Act 1 and 2 clear netted me zero upgrades, I knew it was time to quit because these fucktards had tuned their gamewith an AH in mindso my characters were not able to get useful loot within any sensible time period on their own.

Now, whether or not a late-life design change like this can actually roll back the damage remains to be seen. The psychological factors might well remain for awhile, depending on how the loot revamp actually pans out. Personally, I don't give a shit how it turns out, because I'm done with these guys as a company. They passed the point of no return awhile back. I just enjoy discussing game design.

Needless

Toe Sucker
You will always peak, regardless of what the loot is, or if there isn't an auction house.

Saying you'll hit that peak much faster is entirely subjective:

You can right now, go onto the AH and buy any gear and be 300k dps with the "swipe of your Credit Card". Well I guess thats a faster way to get geared then having a self sufficient loot 2.0 system.
or you can play self found, never find anything and never really peak because the loot system is so poorly optimized.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Someone mentioned a few pages ago about going to spend $5 or $10 on the AH for gold and not having to worry about it....that's a damn good idea and even though I haven't played in awhile that woul dbe nice to have for when the expansion rolls around.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The auction house is pretty much incompatible with a game in which normal players can hope to accomplish anything substantial. If everyone uses the auction house, you have to tune the game around what is available there. But what is available there will always far surpass what is available in game, because bots run 24/7 and you don't. So you are either forced to participate in the auction house or stop progressing.

It was pretty obvious this would happen before the game launched, and I had hoped that Blizzard would implement some kind of mechanic that made it more or less impossible for bots to play the game. Of course, that hope was pretty misplaced since doing that would have cut into their dreams of WoW-like profits. There are some pretty smart people working at Blizzard, and I don't doubt they knew what was coming. They just wanted to structure the game such that progressing meant buying blizzard-bucks and collecting bot-farmed gear from the auction house.

In that sense, its a lot like the free-to-play games you see on iOS/Android. You technicallycanprogress on your own, but if you really want to get to the top you need to buy-in to the premium resources. The problem is, Blizzard forgot that the game has to actually be fun and have real psychological incentives or few people will care enough to get to the top.
Most of this is true, with the exception of your (implied) argument is that the bots are the main source of AH issues. Make no mistake, bots didn't matter much in this case. Even if there were zero bots, what's their overall design plan for an AH? It's for everyone to be using it. You don't think millions of people playing D3 can't populate an AH with enough good shit on their own to accomplish the downsides of the AH? Again, it's all relative. So maybe with a lack of bots, there are fewer "best" items available on the AH. But it doesn't matter, because there is STILL always something better than what just dropped for you.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Someone mentioned a few pages ago about going to spend $5 or $10 on the AH for gold and not having to worry about it....that's a damn good idea and even though I haven't played in awhile that woul dbe nice to have for when the expansion rolls around.
I also pointed out immediately afterwards, that they're also going to be introducing a Ladder system.. thus all the current gold, and items are worthless if you plan on playing on the new ladder system. So keep that in mind as well

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'd hope you'd be the only one, but this thread shows that you aren't.

What is so hard to understand about the concept of relativity combined with a nation-wide linked auction house? It doesn't fucking matter what they do with itemization or drop-rates or quality of drops. NO MATTER WHAT, every time you get an item from a monster, there is a better version of that on the auction house (price is irrelevant). The AH completely and utterly undermines a game like this, even that designer on the left in the short video knew that, and I had thought Blizzard didn't have any intelligent designers anymore (although there's a good chance he simply parroted that line from any number of intelligent criticisms of D3).
Why is price irrelevant?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I also pointed out immediately afterwards, that they're also going to be introducing a Ladder system.. thus all the current gold, and items are worthless if you plan on playing on the new ladder system. So keep that in mind as well
Will you have to reroll totally from scratch to be in it.