Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I look forward to people letting people like me who haven't played the game since the first few weeks how the 2.0 experience is.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
$40/$60 for the two versions.
Remember the days of $20 expansions? Me neither...
frown.png

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
Suprised that a collector's edition wasn't announced.
???

If you're looking for even more loot, the Reaper of Souls retail-exclusive Collector's Edition comes fully equipped with all the in-game goodies from the Digital Deluxe, plus a range of premium collectible items:

Malthael mouse pad, bearing the impenetrable visage of the Angel of Death
Hardback Collector's Edition art book, chronicling the game's artistic development
Behind-the-scenes Blu-Ray/DVD two-disc set, featuring in-depth interviews with the development team and members of the Diablo III community

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I havent followed the 2.0/RoS news for a while. Outside of time limited things like seasons/ladders, do I have the option of a fresh start from zero economy-wise?
There's no economy anymore. Gold is BoA and so are all the good items. Blizzard is killing the franchise.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Killing the franchise begun long before the BoAs. As terrible as no drop loot is in Diablo, I was just thinking how it wouldn't be worse than it is now. The combination of sanctioned RMT, AH, botting, and no item sinks is what really killed the game. I came back to the game 2-3 weeks ago, and in that time I've gotten 40 paragon levels on my barb and 20 on my wizard. The most valuable drop I have gotten in that time was a dust satchel I sold for 10m. The only drop I got that was usable was a very minor ring upgrade for a wizard whose gear I had spent maybe 3m on. The only reason I can do mp8 comfortably on my WW barb (albeit a bit slow) is because I bid on stuff at 3:00am and flipped a few things. $1.70 gets me more gold than I got farming for two weeks, but if I bought that it would kill any sense of accomplishment and make me quit in a day, even though it is beyond tedious to pick up and examine so much shit then run numerous database queries to gauge value on anything I might think will sell for more than 100k. No idea how botting is even worthwhile at these prices.

Blizzard is just turning the PC game into the console game. Once again they are removing multiplayer components to solve problems they otherwise couldn't, just like they did for WoW. This time they are removing the entire economy and trade aspects of the game. The AH most definitely hurt the game a great deal, and removing it is great, but doing so would explode the third party RMT market and they would end up with the problems D2 has. I think they just don't want to deal with it and accepted no drop as their brilliant solution, because hey most people wouldn't trade much anyway. Plus the massive inflation potential of smart drops that are tradeable would mean that players in very good gear would constantly be getting sick drops and would flood the market with them.

And I also fucking hate the butterfly lady. If she ain't a Jar Jar analogue, then I don't know what is.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious what your solutions are. You too mist. And keep mind, as you said, most people don't give a shit about trading.

I'm loving that I can go through an inventory of loot in 30s. Good? Equip/socket/enchant. No good? Salvage. Done, back to killing shit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Good question. What would be your solution? I'll accept, as said, that most don't care about trading, but just as you said it'd take all accomplishment out of the game and make you stop playing, not having it available, would make me stop playing. Loot 2.0 will change this, but without the AH to turn a new level 60 into a power house killing machine, which is what I think is fun, I wouldn't be playing right now.

On a different note... Does Blizzard ever reward beta access, or any theories on beta access granted based on pre-orders?

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Good question. What would be your solution? I'll accept, as said, that most don't care about trading, but just as you said it'd take all accomplishment out of the game and make you stop playing, not having it available, would make me stop playing. Loot 2.0 will change this, but without the AH to turn a new level 60 into a power house killing machine, which is what I think is fun, I wouldn't be playing right now.

On a different note... Does Blizzard ever reward beta access, or any theories on beta access granted based on pre-orders?
ONE OF THE CHOSEN

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I'm curious what your solutions are.
Get rid of auction house
Get rid of BoA flags on items except for hellfire rings
Set up ladder system like D2's to act as a pseudo-item/character wipe
Police spam, RMT, and botters as much as possible
Create some sort of trade post game type that can have a lot more than 4 people in it, with a game description/message on the game select list; perhaps allow people in-game to view one of your stash tabs along with a 'looking for' message

The best way to improve the game is of course subjective but that is my preferred solution. Somebody could probably come up with another idea I might like more.

The ladder allows Blizzard to essentially pwipe and get away with it because it doesn't 'feel' like a wipe even though everybody would play the ladder. An item sink is important because inflation will inevitably devalue all but the tiniest fraction of the best drops.

Barter is much preferable to an auction house because the difficulty in exchanging your drops for desired items limits the amount of items you will keep and try to trade. An auction house makes the entire thing so fluid (but extremely tedious) that it encourages selling everything you get that has any value at all, which in turn inflates the economy even more. The large stash and inventory sizes don't help in this regard either but I certainly would not make them smaller at this point.

What Blizzard is doing makes sense from a business standpoint (policing the game takes resources) and the game will still be largely enjoyable, but to me it will feel even more watered down. Buying items on the auction house didn't feel like 'earning' them nearly as much as trading in D2 did, but it was still neat to get a nice 'seller' drop. Now when something awesome for another class drops for you, it will be worthless instead of exciting. I anticipate smart drops will just take everybody to near-perfect items much more quickly and the item hunt will be much shorter.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
botting is always worthwhile with like 200% GF gear i was netting 25mill or more a day, and that was with a DH very early on in botting with shitty scripts, i imagine you get alot more now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So Blizzard isn't killing the franchise, they're making decisions a small minority doesn't like. I realize you, Torrid, didn't specifically say this, but you did quote Mist in somewhat agreement.

I do believe they're doing ladders in the expac.

Smart drops only ensure that the main stat matches your class. The 5 other affixes can be whatever. You can still get DH only items on your barb. You can still get str items on your DH. The first one currently happens far more than the second. You can still get items that roll no main stat at all. Other class stuff dropping isn't worthless. Either save that legendary for an alt or DE it for tradeskill mats, which is very useful now. So much so, that they've improperly balanced the mats required to make grey and white items the bottleneck.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I'm not sure how small the minority is that doesn't like the removal of any form of trade in the game. I've seen more than one 'I'm going to quit the game over this' claim over it, although certainly most of us will just continue to play even though we dislike it. I will however end up playing less than I would have otherwise. Eventually Blizzard will keep doing things I don't like and lose me as a customer though, just like they did with WoW. I wouldn't touch WoW with a stick now.

The only reason I picked the game back up again was because of the D2 elements they put in with the patches. The more they take from D2, they more I like it. They farther they go from D2, the more I dislike it. What I am most looking forward to in RoS are ladders and frozen orb, not smart drops or bounties.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I tried coming back several times, but every single time I run face first into the "fun" of not getting any drops useful for me or even worth selling. Legendary drops ? Odds are I can try to craft another amulet. If it wasn't for Paragon levels, it would feel like running inside a hamster wheel with all the progress I feel like I'm making.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
They're making it like Marvel Heroes is right now. It's okay with me, I don't really give a fuck about sitting in trade chat in my monster killing games. I just want to kill monsters and find dope ass shit to kill monsters even faster with.