Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

xzi

Mouthbreather
So, a "community event buff" is now up. Increases XP by 50%

People on reddit are saying it's running until March 24th

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So now that the initial novelty has somewhat warn of and people have managed to play around a bit what is the verdict? Are people going to buy the x-pac now? Is the game better? Is this just a polished turd?

For me I've been having a blast with some RL friends. Picking up loot that I can actually equip and see my dps and toughness increase dramatically over the past few days is pretty nice. I'll be playing for at least this week I think, though I still haven't made up my mind if I'm going to buy it or not.
The novelty is already starting to wear off a little as you look at how hallow the game is. Loot 2.0 starts as a blessing since you actually get upgrades for playing the game (imagine that) then as your character starts getting gear every new item that drops just turns into a brimstone, what's worse is now that blessing of character specific drops starts to suck ass since you cannot find alt gear. Farming on your wizard and oh shit an Immoral Kings breastplate drops.. well hope you like Int on that shit. Yes I know Diablo is a farming game but part of what was always fun for me in doing shit like doing Meph runs on my Frozen Orb Sorc was that when I found cool things I could equip and run a new character with a crazy build, Diablo 2 and rerolling different characters was always 1/2 the fun for some odd reason at least for me, not being able to do that hear blows.

Loot 2.0 goes a long way to gearing up your first character but once you've done that forget about using it to farm up gear for your alts like you could in D2 the Bind on Account is just another step in the wrong direction as well, in the very least if they are going to put restrictions on things make it BoE, the fact that crafted items are Bind on Account is even worse. And pretty much forget about getting a full set of class specific gear unless you plan on farming for hours and hours, the game is just shallow, the story line still eats a fat bag of dicks, elite packs and bosses are worst to farm that corpses and chests at this point in time and there isn't much re-playability.

Ok, with that being said the clan addition is nice it's cool to see other people online to interact and chat with, the character portraits lined up like Diablo 2 should of been there from the start. Still adding this in was a big plus, the fact that loot is actually dropping for people is a plus, the mobs scaling with level is kinda gay since Normal, Hard, Master is all about the same and worthless.

I think Reaper of Souls will be fun for a bit and I am sure a crusader will be fun to play and gear up and stomp some monsters, not sure how Act 5 and the Adventure modes play out but they could be interesting and fun. $40.00 worth of fun? I don't know maybe, the game is still a polished turd but if you get 20-40 hours of game play from it then sure it might be worth it, all in all I can't see it getting more than a couple of months of play and then maybe check it out for a week whenever they release a new big patch once every year or two.

If an immortal king drops on your wizard don't ID it, hop over to your Barb and then ID. This will lock it in with barb stats, I did this with a Daibo that dropped while on my barb. Had my level 30 monk ID and it was a dex based level 60 legendary.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The novelty is already starting to wear off a little as you look at how hallow the game is. Loot 2.0 starts as a blessing since you actually get upgrades for playing the game (imagine that) then as your character starts getting gear every new item that drops just turns into a brimstone, what's worse is now that blessing of character specific drops starts to suck ass since you cannot find alt gear. Farming on your wizard and oh shit an Immoral Kings breastplate drops.. well hope you like Int on that shit. Yes I know Diablo is a farming game but part of what was always fun for me in doing shit like doing Meph runs on my Frozen Orb Sorc was that when I found cool things I could equip and run a new character with a crazy build, Diablo 2 and rerolling different characters was always 1/2 the fun for some odd reason at least for me, not being able to do that hear blows.
Enchanter will let you fix that.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
If an immortal king drops on your wizard don't ID it, hop over to your Barb and then ID. This will lock it in with barb stats, I did this with a Daibo that dropped while on my barb. Had my level 30 monk ID and it was a dex based level 60 legendary.
That might work because the B-team hasnt thought the situation through, but it's far too counter-intuitive to be an intended solution. Blizzard isnt the type of company to intentionally create a game situation where you interupt your own "oh fuck yea" moment with the logical conclusion of stashing it to ID it on an alt. You'd also have to be involved enough with the game to know all those items without IDing them or, take a break from actually playing to research which legendary or set item the un-IDed item could be, or face a perceived disadvantage - stuff like that doesnt fly with them anymore. Expect a hamfisted after-the-fact solution for a situation that should have been solved in the item design stage of legendaries and set items instead of the acquistion stage.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
I can't link it since I'm at work right now, but has anyone gotten one of those legendary rings that summons the little treasure goblin that picks up grey/white gear and turns 14 of them into a rare, possibly a legendary? Not sure if it just drops the new piece into your inventory, or if it's supposed to do a little animation for when it happens. I picked up what seemed to be way more than 14 before I decided to start counting and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I have serious worries about the depth of the lategame, because before you had to carefully balance your skills to do the most damage possible, while trying to not die. The new system feels like you will be going for every health globe like a meth addict, especially because mob's HP seems to scale faster than your dps.

BTW is there any reason to run any companion other than the paladin ? 2 heals and passive on top ...

I'll buy it, but I'll see if I can wait for like a week just to see if they managed to screw up something.

That might work because the B-team hasnt thought the situation through, but it's far too counter-intuitive to be an intended solution. Blizzard isnt the type of company to intentionally create a game situation where you interupt your own "oh fuck yea" moment with the logical conclusion of stashing it to ID it on an alt. You'd also have to be involved enough with the game to know all those items without IDing them or, take a break from actually playing to research which legendary or set item the un-IDed item could be, or face a perceived disadvantage - stuff like that doesnt fly with them anymore. Expect a hamfisted after-the-fact solution for a situation that should have been solved in the item design stage of legendaries and set items instead of the acquistion stage.
Remember, when D3 first came out you had to hunt through options with no prompting from the UI or in a tutorial in order to unlock your skill slots so you could use any ability in any quickslot and not be locked in to one from each catagory. So I wouldn't be surprised if this was intended but not just documented well.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I am starting to wonder if the PS3 version of this game is the best version to play as you get the benefits of the 2.0 drop rate without all of the BoA gayness, any word on PS3 RoS will it have BoA?

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
My friends won't be buying the expac and I probably wouldn't if it were not already gifted to me as a holiday present.

I can play maybe 2 hours at a time before getting too bored to continue.

The fact that people are getting upgrades and the game is fun again to them because of that is merely because blizzard did a gear reset with loot 2.0. If your gear was bad before the patch, you will replace it quickly because item stats have a much narrower range and good stats don't compete with bad stats anymore. That plus the prime stats can simply roll much higher and legendaries got upgraded. Once you start filling slots, you'll just end up right back where you were in pre-2.0, and you'll get there much faster.

A consequence of the loot 2.0 changes is that items all end up rather similar. Craft 100 of a rare and you'll get several 'dupes'.

With trading removed, the entire farming aspect of the game is now nothing but trying to get usable legendaries via drops, and since builds require certain legendaries (not a bad thing by itself), you are basically at the mercy of the RNG because you can't get the items any other way. When I play for hours and get no usable legendaries, I feel like I've wasted my time. Prior to 2.0, any decent drop helped pay for the items I needed and therefore progress was made even if I did not use what I picked up.

The new legendary effects are nice. Skills are much more balanced now, and more interesting. But Blizzard shortened the lifespan of the game considerably (lifespan defined as how long the game is played by the average player before quitting) with loot 2.0.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have serious worries about the depth of the lategame, because before you had to carefully balance your skills to do the most damage possible, while trying to not die. The new system feels like you will be going for every health globe like a meth addict, especially because mob's HP seems to scale faster than your dps.

BTW is there any reason to run any companion other than the paladin ? 2 heals and passive on top ...

I'll buy it, but I'll see if I can wait for like a week just to see if they managed to screw up something.
I still use the Enchantress because turning groups of mobs into chickens every minute is fun and really helps on the Act 2 keywarden which rapes me constantly.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Unless they changed it for this system, which I'm pretty sure they didn't, all loot rolls are determined on drop, not id.

Daibos will always run dex as main stat, just as quivers now will only roll dex as main stat, wizard hats int, etc. Had it mattered what character you ided it on it should have been a lvl 30 legendary upon iding it with a lvl 30 char.

And I use enchantress because the pet maximus procs is awesome and her charm ability is nice too.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
My friends won't be buying the expac and I probably wouldn't if it were not already gifted to me as a holiday present.

I can play maybe 2 hours at a time before getting too bored to continue.

The fact that people are getting upgrades and the game is fun again to them because of that is merely because blizzard did a gear reset with loot 2.0. If your gear was bad before the patch, you will replace it quickly because item stats have a much narrower range and good stats don't compete with bad stats anymore. That plus the prime stats can simply roll much higher and legendaries got upgraded. Once you start filling slots, you'll just end up right back where you were in pre-2.0, and you'll get there much faster.

A consequence of the loot 2.0 changes is that items all end up rather similar. Craft 100 of a rare and you'll get several 'dupes'.

With trading removed, the entire farming aspect of the game is now nothing but trying to get usable legendaries via drops, and since builds require certain legendaries (not a bad thing by itself), you are basically at the mercy of the RNG because you can't get the items any other way. When I play for hours and get no usable legendaries, I feel like I've wasted my time. Prior to 2.0, any decent drop helped pay for the items I needed and therefore progress was made even if I did not use what I picked up.

The new legendary effects are nice. Skills are much more balanced now, and more interesting. But Blizzard shortened the lifespan of the game considerably (lifespan defined as how long the game is played by the average player before quitting) with loot 2.0.
You have to realize this patch is only part of the equation and takes into consideration systems that aren't coming into the game until RoS, such as rerolling and gambling.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Most people run a Scoundrel. Give him a Buriza and he freezes stuff constantly. Personally I don't need a heal/taunt/cc. I just need more damage.

Citz

Silver Squire
I can't link it since I'm at work right now, but has anyone gotten one of those legendary rings that summons the little treasure goblin that picks up grey/white gear and turns 14 of them into a rare, possibly a legendary? Not sure if it just drops the new piece into your inventory, or if it's supposed to do a little animation for when it happens. I picked up what seemed to be way more than 14 before I decided to start counting and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
It's Puzzle Ring. I have it and I have yet to see anything drop from the goblin yet.