Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Don't want to make another post but thought i'd seperate this for our DH guys.

It looks like using 3 spenders for M6 build with be BiS. With the scaling of Attack Speed for Sentries in 2.1, the build will now be insane. Basically, you will want to maximize the Sentry to use spenders ONLY. So what this means, with lets say 1.46 APS (you typical 2h xbow user), you will now want to use Multishot + Impale (Burn rune for fire builds) instead of using Cluster Arrow. Cluster Arrow's internal cooldown does not scale so your Sentry will still be using standard attack bolts, which is a DPS loss. So basically, your Sentry will ONLY use Multishot and Impale and will not fire a single basic bolt attack which is what is key to maximize DPS.

Once you hit 2.16 APS (1hand xbox/2hand bow or a 2h xbow with Taskers), you will want to use Cluster Arrow + Multishot + Impale (3 spenders) to minimize the use of the Sentry's basic bolt attack. This is the end-game optimal setup, but you sacrifice the high base damage of a 2hand xbow, or you sacrifice the use of +fire gear such as Magefist/Cindercoat (if you use 2hand xbow and Taskers). However, the consensus is that this will ultimately be the best overall.

More testing will need to be done by the DH pros. This is also pending no other changes in PTR are made.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I am pondering Cluster Arrow + Elemental Arrow (frost) coupled with cull the weak. Sentry will fire every non CA shot as an elemental arrow. This may go well with people using rimeheart (if one also used frostburns as a DH - depends how it works with sentry).

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Are sentries considered a pet for Tasker and Theo gloves?
Yes; Sentry counts as a pet and are also vital in 2.1 to hit the higher AP breakpoints

At the 1.46 AP breakpoint, you will fire 25 Multishots and 24 Impales throughout the Sentry duration with NO Sentry basic auto-attack bolt Jump to 1.75 Ap BP and that will net you 30 Impales, 30 multishots. At 2.16 AP breakpoint and using 3 spenders (CA, MultiShot, Impale), you will net 0 auto-attack bolts and this overall will be the best build IF you can reach this BP without gimping yourself.

For group play, Calamity 1hand-xbox will be the 'go-to' choice in terms of weapon to use. It will be easy to net the 2.16 Ap Breakpoint and the 'Marked for Dead' proc of it works with the Sentry and procs fast as hell. It won't do the same overall DPS, but the utility of having MfD up on every mob is incredible.

@Mudcrush
Elemental Arrow for Sentry is currently bugged and is not scaling correctly. It is believed they have an internal cooldown allowing them to fire basic bolts and not completely replace them. This affects the Chakram also

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I still don't like running full sentry only build. I like running around with all pets on deck and TnT, I'm sure it's not optimal but doing the same build that every single other person chooses to do sucks a bit of enjoyment out of the game. No real use in min maxing outside of an MMO since the rewards are exactly the same be it t1 or t6"

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I've done some testing with sentry, 2h xbow and calamity on PTR. These are my conclusions. I did not have a TNT to test with.

CA still seems to use an internal cooldown (of about 2.5 seconds). Using a 2h xbow, a sentry fires it on the first shot and then every 4th shot.

Other hatred spenders fire either every other shot or every shot.

With a 2h Xbow, I tried CA with MS and then CA with Impale. In either case the pattern was the same - a cycle of CA MS/Impale Bolt MS/Impale and repeat.

The rate of fire of sentries is determined by your ias and weapon speed.
Cluster arrow has priority and will fire about once per 2.5 seconds if off cooldown when a sentry fires.
MS and Impale have next priority and will fire every other shot. They have no cooldown - it does not matter how fast the weapon is.
Chakram and Elemental arrow have least priority and are NOT bugged and fire every shot. They do not use cooldowns.

Essentially, when sentry fires a shot, it works like this:

Step 1: Is CA off cooldown, if so fire CA and we're done.
Step 2: Was MS fired on previous shot? If not, fire MS and we're done.
Step 3: Was Impale fired on previous shot? If not, fire Impale and we're done.
Step 4: Randomly pick between elemental arrow and chakram and fire the one picked and we're done.
Step 5: Fire a bolt and we're done.

Skip any step if that skill is not on the action bar.
On step 4, if both skills (Elemental Arrow and Chakram) are not on the action bar, fire the one that is.

Sentries cannot proc Marked for Death from Calamity.
Sentries cannot proc freeze from Frostburns.

Basically this means that 2h builds are still favored if you use cluster arrow, but not as much as previously.

If you are willing to use three spenders, it seems to me that Cluster Arrow, Impale, and MS is the way to go.
If not, it seems to me that Cluster Arrow is always better than Impale *if* you are hitting more than one target with it (lightning impale hits three targets, but then your other skills have to be lightning and lose damage). That generally being a dominant factor, I would recomment Cluster Arrow and MS or Cluster Arrow and Impale.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I've done some testing with sentry, 2h xbow and calamity on PTR. These are my conclusions. I did not have a TNT to test with.

CA still seems to use an internal cooldown (of about 2.5 seconds). Using a 2h xbow, a sentry fires it on the first shot and then every 4th shot.

Other hatred spenders fire either every other shot or every shot.

With a 2h Xbow, I tried CA with MS and then CA with Impale. In either case the pattern was the same - a cycle of CA MS/Impale Bolt MS/Impale and repeat.

The rate of fire of sentries is determined by your ias and weapon speed.
Cluster arrow has priority and will fire about once per 2.5 seconds if off cooldown when a sentry fires.
MS and Impale have next priority and will fire every other shot. They have no cooldown - it does not matter how fast the weapon is.
Chakram and Elemental arrow have least priority and are NOT bugged and fire every shot. They do not use cooldowns.

Essentially, when sentry fires a shot, it works like this:

Step 1: Is CA off cooldown, if so fire CA and we're done.
Step 2: Was MS fired on previous shot? If not, fire MS and we're done.
Step 3: Was Impale fired on previous shot? If not, fire Impale and we're done.
Step 4: Randomly pick between elemental arrow and chakram and fire the one picked and we're done.
Step 5: Fire a bolt and we're done.

Skip any step if that skill is not on the action bar.
On step 4, if both skills (Elemental Arrow and Chakram) are not on the action bar, fire the one that is.

Sentries cannot proc Marked for Death from Calamity.
Sentries cannot proc freeze from Frostburns.

Basically this means that 2h builds are still favored if you use cluster arrow, but not as much as previously.

If you are willing to use three spenders, it seems to me that Cluster Arrow, Impale, and MS is the way to go.
If not, it seems to me that Cluster Arrow is always better than Impale *if* you are hitting more than one target with it (lightning impale hits three targets, but then your other skills have to be lightning and lose damage). That generally being a dominant factor, I would recomment Cluster Arrow and MS or Cluster Arrow and Impale.
Pretty much what I have been reading and have said previously, 3 spenders will be what you want to hit. The CA vs. Impale primarily comes down to how clustered mobs are together, CA winning out due to its small AoE aspect. Impale wins for singer target due to its stacking.

Calamity not proccing MfD is new as there has been substantial reports of it proccing, unless it literally just got fixed with a new PTR build. I do not have one to test sadly....

The Elemental Arrow/Chakram issue only occurs of certain breakpoints (high AP breakpoints). But may have also been fixed recently

Good work testing these Mudcrush!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hmm, likely to use 3pc marauder and 3pc shadow for full time 35% damage reduction. If I can find a not terrible nat ring I may do 2pc nat also since I cannot find a good SOJ to go with royal ring.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Hmm, likely to use 3pc marauder and 3pc shadow for full time 35% damage reduction. If I can find a not terrible nat ring I may do 2pc nat also since I cannot find a good SOJ to go with royal ring.
Very nice toughness for that, but totally gimps your single target dps (may matter in high level grifts).

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Calamity not proccing MfD is new as there has been substantial reports of it proccing, unless it literally just got fixed with a new PTR build.
It is a change, calamity on live DOES proc MfD for sentries.

One thing I didn't remember to comment on, 1h xbows can have a higher dps than 2h xbows, so probably a really high dps calamity is in fact the best weapon now. If you use 3 piece nats, it might also be superior with a top end slayer. Maybe.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Very nice toughness for that, but totally gimps your single target dps (may matter in high level grifts).
Eh everything up to t4 dies in under 5 seconds as it is now and since i have no desire to go beyond t4 in this game thats good enough - when they put in something special for doing t5 or t6 then sure i may change up. However as things are now its pointless to go beyond t3 and i do t4 at times just for kicks.

T5 and T6 honestly have 0 appeal outside of bounties, i could do them but why bother? I have a full set of every armor and the sentry build i tried some time ago and it just wasnt very fun. Current goal is just to hit 800 paragon just to have maxed out 3 of 4 of those crappy paragon trees.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Oh yeah, another thing I tested on PTR, sentries don't do area damage (from paragon points is what I tested). Probably true on live, but never tested for it.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Mudcrush,

Calamity's MfD proc should be proccing off of Sentry's spitfire rockets (will not proc off anything else) on the PTR. Can you confirm when you have a chance?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I think we're up to 7 people now that would rather be showered in bot loot instead of actually playing the fucking game?
I think we are up to one giant faggot who would rather play for hours on end to get 1 piece of loot to try out a new spec or different play style

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think we are up to one giant faggot who would rather play for hours on end to get 1 piece of loot to try out a new spec or different play style
If you actually read the thread, you'd know I have problems with drop rates and going nights/weeks without meaningful drops. I just recently got my 3rd piece of Akkhan and my 4 overall class set drop after 12k elite kills on my crusader. There's definitely a problem with the game's loot progression at the high end. BUT that doesn't mean you go "fuck it! someone just give me all the loot!". Or, you know, why don't you just bot yourself?