Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was chatting to a Twitch streamer who was streaming PoE earlier today and he told me they revamped the first zones and beginner experience a couple of months ago. Might give it another go, though you might like to know too. Might be worth a re-install.
Hmm not sure how long ago you played but they didn't revamp all that much. They made the water look better and they added a bunch of new assets and mob types when they did the 10acts patch, but the start of the game is still in areas that looks pretty dull and bland and you still start as a fucking slow ass clunky fucker until a fair few levels in. That said it's not that long either, only a few hours, and you gain power at a fairly fast rate, you'll still feel slow and clunky at lvl 30, but it'll feel a ton better than at the start already, and the more you level and get shit like ascendencies and attack/castspeed, movement skills, better quicksilver flasks and gigantic aoe skills, the better it'll feel.

Until you're at endgame, spitting fire and steel all over the screen(and several screens away), moving as fast as D2 enigma rune spammer and filtering all the loot but the 1% of the best drops because otherwise you can't fucking see shit due to all the stuff that drops. It used to be the game was pretty slow even at high levels but over the years there's been massive powercreep and the game is stupidly fast paced at high level now and it feels nice to play.

Ultimately though it'll still depend on people, some just don't like PoE because of the camera or graphical style or whatever else and that's fine really, not everyone's gonna like every game. At least it's free so you don't lose any money checking it out.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't played in a year or so, this is just what the Twitch guy said. I might take a look again sometime soon.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This latest league is ending in a couple of months or so and it's by far the best league yet, so I'd definitely check it out before then.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've tried PoE basically every major update since their early beta and I have never once actually had fun. I would rather play Diablo 1, or 2, or 3, or Van Helsing or give Grim Dawn another shot (which I also found boring). While PoE has some good ideas I absolutely hate some of their decisions and the actual gameplay is just... unfulfilling and bland to the max. And that is coming from someone who played early Thornsader where you just walked around and left-clicked things. Still more fun than PoE

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
PoE is extremely unfriendly to new players. There are a million systems all intertwined and until you get a good grasp on how they all work together, it can make the game extremely off-putting. Plus, just "winging" it with the skill tree is going to make you have a bad time. If you actually take the time/effort required to research the game enough to get a good grasp on it, it's miles better than D3 ever dreamed of being. Also, the content updates are insanely frequent for a FTP game.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'd take an MMO Diablo. I'm still rooting for a nice big Diablo game, but rifts opening into other franchises. Run through a massive battlefield of Demons invading a Zerg encampment as Jaina, Arthas, Tyrael and Kerrigan.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That's probably what they're making but Blizzard being Blizzard, you'll be lucky if you get to play it in 2019 though. Maybe they'll have a shitty beta like they did with D3, 45mins of demo and you're done, with super limited invitations and shit.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
PoE is extremely unfriendly to new players. There are a million systems all intertwined and until you get a good grasp on how they all work together, it can make the game extremely off-putting. Plus, just "winging" it with the skill tree is going to make you have a bad time. If you actually take the time/effort required to research the game enough to get a good grasp on it, it's miles better than D3 ever dreamed of being. Also, the content updates are insanely frequent for a FTP game.

I would agree with that, but I am not some casual noob. Like I said, I've given it a shot many many times, and each time I spend hours reading notes, builds, advice, etc., and tend to follow some "fun" build or other. It's not that I don't understand what I'm doing, it's that I don't like what I am doing. Part of the reason PoE isn't bigger than it is, for sure, is the learning-cliff and how obtuse it is. But honestly, it's the least fun mechanically I've had in an ARPG outside of maybe Torchlight 2. The fundamentals of the game make it not enjoyable for me, and probably a lot of people. Hell I play damn near anything from any genre.

It's nice that some people get their fix from PoE. But it really fucking obviously isn't for everyone (or most, even) and it's beyond old to keep propping it up as some golden-deity of ARPG or the best game out there. Some newer games like PoE or Grim Dawn seem to take the wrong lessons from everyone's hard-ons for Diablo 2 and take 2 steps forwards and 2 steps back. Min-maxing passive stats with 80% of your power gain isn't fun and it never was the part about Diablo 2 the majority enjoyed. They like teleporting around like maniacs spitting giant orbs of ice, or running into hordes of enemies and jizzing spinny hammers out, etc.

Diablo 3 is far from perfect, but at least I can experiment and just play with abilities and not a spreadsheet. Hell, mega-casuals can get pretty far in D3 now without having any idea what they're doing, just using their favorite (terrible) builds. I much prefer that approach than Eve mixed with megagrinds.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problem is you're too concerned about doing the right thing in PoE when really you should just play it normally and discover things as they pop up. You'll get to "teleporting around like maniacs spitting giant orbs of ice, or running into hordes of enemies and jizzing spinny hammers out" in pretty much no time, because the game is honestly not that hard unless you're playing hardcore. Don't follow a guide, don't research the classes, just don't worry about any of it. It'll come in time.

But yes, PoE *is* the gold standard of ARPGs, best one ever designed at this moment in time for any serious hobbyist.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I tried POE a few times, never made it past level 15 or so. I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like about it to be honest. It just feels off to me somehow. I know I dislike the camera angle, but that alone shouldn't be enough to stop me from liking it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I tried POE a few times, never made it past level 15 or so. I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like about it to be honest. It just feels off to me somehow. I know I dislike the camera angle, but that alone shouldn't be enough to stop me from liking it.

If you've not completed the story once I'd say tough it out. Once I walked my friend through it he's been addicted ever since.

But for people that have done it dozens of times it gets annoying as shit anytime I level a new character having to unlock things again and I'm down to about 6 hours to complete it. I'd rather map from the start or have something similar to D3 rifts/Grim Dawn crucible to jump on from the get go at least. I'd probably drop all other ARPGs if it was added.

The problem is you're too concerned about doing the right thing in PoE when really you should just play it normally and discover things as they pop up. You'll get to "teleporting around like maniacs spitting giant orbs of ice, or running into hordes of enemies and jizzing spinny hammers out" in pretty much no time, because the game is honestly not that hard unless you're playing hardcore. Don't follow a guide, don't research the classes, just don't worry about any of it. It'll come in time.

But yes, PoE *is* the gold standard of ARPGs, best one ever designed at this moment in time for any serious hobbyist.

Yeah the difficulty is non existent up until red maps even if you derped your build, but once you hit that point GL. I finally played something other than SSFHC last league and watching my friends instantly splat cause they didn't follow a guide was lol for me and rage worthy for them once they realized how much exp they were losing each time they died.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd be happy if the announcement was that Blizz will be localizing / publishing Lost Ark for NA/EU. =)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'd be happy if the announcement was that Blizz will be localizing / publishing Lost Ark for NA/EU. =)
The game already has a bunch of english localization in the files, so while they might look for a publisher, they wouldn't necessarily need a lot of localization work. And it's very unlikely for Blizzard to publish anything, especially a game that directly competes with their products.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
That condemn build for Crusader is kinda fun, spent some resources to get it, did gr70 but died a lot (cuz I suck as Crusader). Yeah, not a DH for once!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The game already has a bunch of english localization in the files, so while they might look for a publisher, they wouldn't necessarily need a lot of localization work. And it's very unlikely for Blizzard to publish anything, especially a game that directly competes with their products.
Oh I know, but Lost Ark is so much more than Diablo 3, and if Blizz had the intention of making a game to compete with LA, we won't see it until 2020+. =/