Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Fuck me I've been desperately trying to get 5 pieces of Helltooth only to learn today by accident that you can reroll set pieces to get another slot. It took 10 tries, 100 legendary crafting mats and 100 of those other thingies, but I finally got the 5th piece. My damage went down with the set on instead of what I had, but hey, everyone tells me to get Helltooth, so I have!
biggrin.png
Like I have 2 friends I met on day 1 that randomly invite me to their party when I am online and power level me like crazy and drop shit tons of items for me (Paragon 305 now) but they don't talk very much. That's why I got so overwhelmed. It's like, why are you dropping this third pair of Helltooth boots for me and saying "here?". Well, now I know! Same goes with all the items I now know I am meant to cube haha. Same reason I now know why the paragon 850 Witch Doctor that helps me the most couldn't understand why my bank was completely full and so she realized it was because I didn't have the cube so she got it for me, but didn't tell me shit haha. I iterally thought the cube was going to be a bottomless satchel the way she acted like it would solve my item space problem. Soooo yeah, apparently cube + full bank + extra items = salvage all the shit legends, use the materials to reroll set items! So yay anyways, now I have 5 pieces of Helltooth and the aura that reduces set items needed by 1. I am hoping that helps a lot. It's hard to equip 3 items and see my damage go down by 70k, but I know that it's meant to make me stronger.

Lots of people can't answer the questions I have. I was trying to understand if the Wormwood staff that says "Locus Swarm continously plagues enemies near you" meant that it used my Witch Doctor's full modified by items Locus Swarm and if I have an item that says enemies take more damage if they are afflicted by Locus Swarm, and I have that Wormwood aura cubed + I am equipping that ring that says enemies inflicted by locus swarm take more damage, does that mean all monsters around me just take increased damage or it doesn't count? If I have an item equipped that says Locus Swarm now slows everyone, does it make the Aura slow? Haha lots of confusing shit, but I am starting to climb the learning curve more and more. I just needed to politely decline the pl / rift offers and play by myself a bit. Did 2 sets of my own bounties, rerolled some items, banked some auras in the cube, etc. So far, making progress!

You've been super kind, patient and helpful Pyros, thank you. Sorry for all the dumb shit/questions! Are you playing actively on US/USWEST (is there USWEST?) want to add me and/or inspect me and give advice? My tag is Morrowgirl1685 I will check out those websites for sure though, thank you. People keep telling me they don't know what the "WD meta is this season" and I have a hard time understanding how D3 has a meta, but whatever haha. I can handle torment 8 (hardest I've tried alone) and I don't really need to worry about dying, but I kill too slowly, so I do bounties in T7 for now. I literally don't kite or anything like I remember having to do on my Demon Hunter in classic. 2 elite packs surrounding me and perhaps a boss? Just keep spamming my abilities mindlessly until they all die. Either that's because I'm on too easy of a difficulty, or my shit ton of pets + Thunderfury/ess of johan templar draw attention/ or the items I'm using that reduce the damage I take while channeling firebats is really good. Dunno. Will find out soon when I explore higher torments and try my first rift solo.

Having a blast though. At my gf's on the weekend and so she created a char (she was a huge d2 player, bought d3, never played it) and and I created a Crusader and we played a bit. I love feeling like Thor. I was op with paragon though. She's gonna get RoS as well so should be fun. Glad I'm playing.
smile.png

Jox

Molten Core Raider
If you are talking about the Ring of Emptiness, then yes wormwood does function for that, but it also needs haunt active too. Also, helltooth only buffs a handful of skills and I don't think locust swarm is one of them so you won't see much if any damage increase if you're sticking with that as your damage source.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
If you are talking about the Ring of Emptiness, then yes wormwood does function for that, but it also needs haunt active too. Also, helltooth only buffs a handful of skills and I don't think locust swarm is one of them so you won't see much if any damage increase if you're sticking with that as your damage source.
Just finished /equipped all the Helltooth pieces earlier today just before logging off, so haven't killed a single thing with it yet or experimented. I know I'm meant to use Wall of Zombies/death or whatever. Should I always be using a ring/amulet with a socket so I can use a legendary gem? Atm i'm not cos I want to try the Ring/Amulet set that means you take less damage when running and do more when standing still. They any good? I haven't tried rerolling any stats with the enchanter yet, seems sooo random, don't wanna invest in it. I know it must help a ton though once you do that. It's probably only worth it to do it on an Ancient piece yeah? I've found a surprising amount of Ancients. Is it a rule of thumb that an ancient version of an item is always better than the non ancient one?

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Yea, sockets will be a requirement on your amulet and rings, and that amulet + ring set is perfect for helltooth. You can use the enchanter to reroll one of the stats on items, so it's not hard at all to get a socket on them.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yea, sockets will be a requirement on your amulet and rings, and that amulet + ring set is perfect for helltooth. You can use the enchanter to reroll one of the stats on items, so it's not hard at all to get a socket on them.
I've found a single thingy that adds a socket. Also one single pet, an ugly scary as hell Five Night's at Freddy's esque doll. I was told it picks up gold for me, but it seems to do a pretty fucking terrible job. Sometimes I see it run and grab it, but most of the time I sitll have to run over gold to get it and the pet is definitely up. Is it affected by your pickup radius or something or what? Both items seem pretty damn rare. Glad I haven't used the socket item yet. Almost used it on this Ancient Legendary witch doctor knife I have. Rerolling stats doesn't remove gems or anything yeah? Any other good cube recipes I should know about off the top of your head? Oh and RIP I let one of the rarest goblins get away earlier without even noticing it, didn't see until my chat box said it ran away, looked its weird name afterward and apparently it's a kind of treasure goblin that can and usually does drop ten TEN (10) TEN fucking legendaries!? Jesus. can't believe I didn't see it. fml

When I am being power level'd is it worth it to equip gold find + the legendary item aura that gives me exp for picking up gold, or is it negligible? same goes for magic find on my helm when being power level'd/ran through rifts. I do nothing but chase after these people and pick up legendaries and set items every 15 seconds so it doesn't really matter what I'm wearing.

Oh and re: Wormwood/Locust Swarm, I was also asking about this other item I have that says Firebats (I use it primarily atm, but might change now with Helltooth) does 175% increased damage to things with Locus Swarm on them. SO wormwood aura would make anything in its radius take 175% increased damage from Firebats yeah?

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
My set amulet that goes with Compass Rose had dexterity on it and I just rerolled it and I can choose 743 int or 1 socket. Atm my jewelry has no sockets available. I asked general and people said int. I'm so confused. Wouldn't I want a socket for legendary gems? Can you use a legendary gem in every piece of jewelry?

Jox

Molten Core Raider
You can use 3 legendary gems and I'm almost certain any of the dps ones at level 25+ would outperform 750 int. Rerolling would remove the gems if you roll off the sockets on an item, but the gems just go back to your inventory. As for magic find and gold find, magic find is next to useless but gold find is somewhat useful. You will reach a point pretty fast where gold is only used to empower greater rifts which will speed up levelling gems a bit.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If your build is heavy on a particular element your ideal stats on neck are always going to be Socket, damage type %, CHD/CHC. Helltooth pet build is cold. I just got a decent roll on neck this weekend finishing up my monk. Dropping dex for damage type upped my hits by 15-20%. I may go back this week to farm up a couple more gems, but now that season journey is 100% done I might not. Kind of tempted to just to get to 800 paragon. Thank you to whoever posted about dropping ess and oculus on templar. That also helped. Went from struggling on 60 to punking 70.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On the wormwood questions, everything that works of locust swarm will work off wormwood locust swarm. It's the same thing, it counts as if you had cast locust swarm yourself, besides the fact it won't proc stuff(they make any item based spell have a proc rate of 0 to prevent items procing off item procing off items and so on).. Note that it doesn't actually create an aoe around you or whatever though, it simply cast wormwood at regular intervals in the aoe around you, stuff still need to be actually affected by locust swarm to work(so it needs to chain from target to target, which isn't that fast if you don't use the poison rune). Still other than speedrunning with Arachyr, I don't think anyone uses wormwood, there's just better options. Notably stuff like Furnace(50% damage to elites) or Starmetal Kukri(everytime your fetishes do damage, reduces the cooldown of Big Bad Voodoo and Army of Fetish by 1sec, when you have 15fetishes from the passive/belt, you can easily reset BBV cooldown over and over, giving you a permanent large damage boost, don't need army on your bar). In general, any skill that's not buffed by your set is basically useless due to the set boosting stuff by stupid amounts.

On legendary gems as mentionned, you would want a socket in all your jewelry, it's as important as sockets in your weapon. On your ring where you have a choice between int and socket, socket is better. But eventually you'll find a better one with int+crit+crit dmg+socket. You also do need to farm the legendary gems. They drop 100% of the time in greater rifts, you need keys that drop in rifts to open greater rifts. If you have a bunch of keys, do run GRs, even low ones(every 5 levels of GR is equivalent to a torment level, it's written on the thing, but GRs keep going way past torment 10), get some legendary gems and start leveling them. Legendary gems are extremely powerful, more so than any single stat on your gear(even a 100%crit dmg roll on your amulet for example). They just add multiplicative modifiers to all your damage in general so that's like super strong.

On ancients, they're not always better no. They have more potential stats, but a low roll ancient would be lower than a high roll normal items, in some cases. Ancient weapons tend to be better though, even low rolls ancient weapon damage is close/superior to max roll damage normal weapons. For armor, it varies a bit more.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I see they are hiring people for unannounced Project under Diablo franchise. Looks like a 2nd expansion?
They've been hiring for a long time, it's still unclear what for. Could be new expansion, could be new game, could be D2 remake(this is just wishful rumor shit though). Until they talk about something at Blizzcon, can't really say what it's for. Could be just something with the Diablo IP that's not an ARPG for all we know.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
When the game first released they said they had plans for 2 expansions. Since that is the only thing they have ever said about it I am assuming they are hiring for a second expansion pack. The game is actually in a decently healthy place. I would rather see an expansion then D4.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They need to make a D4 and steal heavily from PoE for it. Leagues in PoE are so much more interesting then D3 seasons. I mean I am having fun for 1-3 weeks each season, but the game could and *should* be so much more. I would very much prefer a D4 that is designed around quarterly updates that actually add new things (again PoE leagues, or new classes, areas etc at a pace more like HoTS and not the glacial pace of WoW). I doubt that's possible as long as everything they do is hindered by the shitty foundation that is vanilla D3 (too many bad decisions that are hardcoded).

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Do legendary gems work in follower jewelry? I was using The Wreath of Lightning gem myself and it was always shooting lightning everywhere. I changed it up and put it on my Templar's socketed ring and I never see it work? Also with Nagelring, I know it's a good follower ring regardless, but do those pets do decent damage and/or benefit from my skills that increase pet damage etc?

But yeah holy shit did my damage go through the roof getting the 6 piece Helltooth Bonus, wow!! That and The Compass Rose set together made me kill about 4x faster despite the damage on my character sheet going down lol. I saw on the new PTR patch notes that they are massively upgrading Ring of Emptiness (you do 100% increased damage to monsters affected by both Haunt and Locus Swarm. It's going up to 300%. I wonder if that'll create a new build? I love that they are still patching this game so actively with actual real changes.

I am ready to suck a dozen cocks to find the goddamn ring that makes it so I have 3 gargantauns instead of 1. I want it so bad. Every unique ring is a disappointment once I identify it
frown.png
Spending all my blood shards on rings atm

Also I've now found 2 rainbow goblins (both on the way to Malthael in the portal area before his room) and made sure to clear out all of Whimsydale. People say that they hunt the rainbow goblins mainly because there is an increased drop rate of pets there? I haven't seen one there yet, the pet I got was in act 1 in a random place, but it was with a friend power leveling me and I don't know how I actually acquired it. What do pets look like on the ground when they drop, so that I don't miss them? So far Whimsydale hasn't given me anything decent. How many hours on average (estimate) would it take to farm the whimsy staff if I already have Black Mushroom and Leoric's Shinbone? So that staff = unlimited Whimsydale?

Thanks again for answering all my questions
smile.png
Diablo fans has been great, that plus the leaderboard, although buggy as shit, has been very informative. Oh and one more thing for now. I see Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac on a lot of players on the leaderboard. Was wondering how that ring determines which skill gets its cooldown reduced? Is it random?

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
They need to make a D4 and steal heavily from PoE for it. Leagues in PoE are so much more interesting then D3 seasons. I mean I am having fun for 1-3 weeks each season, but the game could and *should* be so much more. I would very much prefer a D4 that is designed around quarterly updates that actually add new things (again PoE leagues, or new classes, areas etc at a pace more like HoTS and not the glacial pace of WoW). I doubt that's possible as long as everything they do is hindered by the shitty foundation that is vanilla D3 (too many bad decisions that are hardcoded).
I can't stand PoE. I like the art for it but the game just falls off for me after like 5 hours.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I had to take like 3 starts with PoE before it clicked for me. The first few runs at it were a few hours playtime and quitting between 30 and 50. So maybe it's not for you, maybe you should give it a run were you stick with it until a high level to see if you like the high-level game more (if you didn't yet, 5 hours implies low levels). I actually don't like the PoE art style that much, and environment/monster design for D3 is one of the high points imo. I would love to have PoE in D3's clothes (although imo armor design in D3 sucks because it's too "WoW" for lack of a better one-word description).

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I loved PoE but it literally destroyed my i7 Macbook Pro. When I played I had to constantly put a bag of iced peas underneath it (that's mostly the Macbook's shitty design with no bottom air vents) and cycle out a new bag every 15 minutes. Even then it destroyed the laptop after a few weeks of playing and then I was without a decent computer for a while so I couldn't play. Got a decent gaming PC about a year ago and just never went back because I was entertained by Hearthstone and other things. I chose D3 this time around because I had to find out if what everyone was saying about the game being miles different/better than at release was true and to what degree. So far I'm loving it and don't have any desire for PoE... at least yet.

Okay I'll take that legendary gem out of the follower necklace than, thanks. I just finally did my first rift by myself (only did a few before being power level'd so all I did was run around and pick up loot and try not to die). Damn that was fun, and still so much loot solo on Torment 8. I've just been doing bounties until that Rift. Looking forward to trying more. If I'm Paragon 332 and have full Helltooth and + Compass Rose and a couple decent ancients, what level should I start at for a solo Grift? I've also collected about 10 infernal keys of each now, should I start opening portals and try to get some good rolls? Does my torment level matter when doing them?

Oh and last question. Since movement speed is capped, if I happen to have like 25% on my items and I regularly have abilities up that boost it another 15-30%, can I reroll out of movement speed for now in Paragon or what? I can't really tell the difference. When I take off my ring with 12% run speed, my char sheet still says 25%. So surely I can reroll run speed paragon for now? It's confusnig because I feel like some shit increases the cap, like overhaste in EQ. When I cast big bad voodoo and take my ring off and on, it shows the full + or - 12% and it goes up to 37%ish movement speed. But if big bad voodoo isnt up, unequipping/equipping the 12move ring doesn't show on char sheet. Wuuuut?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I loved PoE but it literally destroyed my i7 Macbook Pro. When I played I had to constantly put a bag of iced peas underneath it (that's mostly the Macbook's shitty design with no bottom air vents) and cycle out a new bag every 15 minutes. Even then it destroyed the laptop after a few weeks of playing and then I was without a decent computer for a while so I couldn't play. Got a decent gaming PC about a year ago and just never went back because I was entertained by Hearthstone and other things. I chose D3 this time around because I had to find out if what everyone was saying about the game being miles different/better than at release was true and to what degree. So far I'm loving it and don't have any desire for PoE... at least yet.

Okay I'll take that legendary gem out of the follower necklace than, thanks. I just finally did my first rift by myself (only did a few before being power level'd so all I did was run around and pick up loot and try not to die). Damn that was fun, and still so much loot solo on Torment 8. I've just been doing bounties until that Rift. Looking forward to trying more. If I'm Paragon 332 and have full Helltooth and + Compass Rose and a couple decent ancients, what level should I start at for a solo Grift? I've also collected about 10 infernal keys of each now, should I start opening portals and try to get some good rolls? Does my torment level matter when doing them?

Oh and last question. Since movement speed is capped, if I happen to have like 25% on my items and I regularly have abilities up that boost it another 15-30%, can I reroll out of movement speed for now in Paragon or what? I can't really tell the difference. When I take off my ring with 12% run speed, my char sheet still says 25%. So surely I can reroll run speed paragon for now?
As I recall what you wear is capped at 25%, spells/abilities that boost above that can go above it. It's how you get WW barbs and TR monks running at 200%+ run speed

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
As I recall what you wear is capped at 25%, spells/abilities that boost above that can go above it. It's how you get WW barbs and TR monks running at 200%+ run speed
Okay so Paragon, despite contributing to the 25% movement speed cap on your character sheet, goes outside of that? Weird as fuck that casting a spell that increases my movement by 20% suddenly means taking my 12move ring off will show on the char sheet, but if that spell isn't up and I take that ring off, it stays the same, capped at 25.